The 10 best games of the past 10 years

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    That doesn't seem so bad, at least they state they're just talking about PlayStation 4 games. I can agree with Spider-Man and God of War. But I only have 4 games for PS4 so whatever.

2. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    None of their Top 10 of the Decade titles are on their Best games for PS4 list even though there are PS4 titles on their Top 10 of the Decade list...:confused:

FYI THE LIST THIS THREAD IS ABOUT IS APPARENTLY FROM TIME MAGAZINE. (that's for everyone here)

Didn't see it at TIME though...hardly tried...saw the PS4 list...added that to the thread

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Some games make sense because of their sucess like Fortnite, Minecraft, LoL and Pokemon while the others also make sense because they are very good like Zelda, DS and the rest but the list lacks coherence. For me the best game of the decade is obviously Dark Souls, and amazing game that offers something new instead of simply rehashing or copying ideas from previous games, but each one has their opinion so no problem. I also have to try Disco Elysium.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Most games on the list are there becouse of online play.

5. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Portal 2 (best one) from the list...
    ...followed by Skyrim...:)

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Y'know people... lists like this are entirely subjective... just because you disagree, doesn't mean it's factually wrong. I don't agree with everything listed (in fact, I haven't played most of these games and have no intention to), but, I can see why most of them are on this list. Disco Elysium is the only one that kinda confuses me - I never heard of it until now. Seems like a good game, but obviously not decade-defining.

As much as the 2010s had a lot of hot garbage for AAA and mobile games, we also saw a lot of the best content in gaming history; so much that I don't think it's possible to ever create a top 10 list that everyone would agree with. Even if you did a top 10 list per platform, you'd have a hard time convincing everyone to agree.

Of that whole list, Destiny 2 and Spider-Man are the only ones that don't really make sense. I'm not saying they're bad games, but, I don't think anyone would rank them as their favorite game of the decade, and, there are more popular games released for PS4.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I agree with Portal 2 being on the list.
    And if TES: Skyrim was not bug infested mess, I would agree with that too.

Since list talks about "artists broke free" I would say that there is Path of Exile as example.

Tomb Raider got wonderful games.

Quantic Dream guys made quite a few good stories.

Terraria became quite successful game.
    - - - -
    List in article is plagued by games, very few people will return to or be nostalgic about. Isn't Fortnight's light already out? Did not last very long as any battle royale.

Disco Elysium has average 2000 players. Terraria has average 40,000. PoE ~90,000 just on steam.

8. Venomsword

Venomsword Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Elite
    Totally disagree with the list. 80% of the listed games are for brainless zombies.

9. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Disco Elysium is nothing but filthy Red Agitprop, the commie devs shout out to Marx and Engels in game awards victory speech.

10. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    I think this list should be viewed as "games that were/are popular and influenced many other games during this decade".

Disco Elysium is supposedly great, but you can't predict its importance over a decade after 2 months. Witcher 3 should be in its place, again more because it was popular and influential vs the fact that it is a quality title. League of Legends shouldn't be here either - its just Dota2 by another name. Just saying "Dota" would've made more sense as it was the mod that influenced the other 2, along with the entire moba genre.

11. overlordmike

overlordmike Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    some of these changed gaming as a whole either in terms of how the media views gamers, epsports and so on, but others i highly disagree with.... also lack of witcher 3 is terrible... it is by far the best rpg game of the decade for sure, with cheap dlc that added new gameplay almost as long as the base game which was long to begin with

Grand Theft Auto V -is a great game, still to this day online is populated
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild-heard many good things about it but changed too much to feel like a zelda game so didnt care for it myself
    Fortnite - one of the biggest games of this decade for sure, proved crossplay was posible between the systems consoles and phones, made esports a huge thing
    Dark Souls - never cared for em but still great games in most peoples eyes
    League of Legends -meh
    Pokémon Go - changed how people few mobile games so it fits
    Minecraft - again another game that changed gaming culture, fits the list although not my cub of tea (i was too old to enjoy and grasp the fad i guess)
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - right here is where you are wrong in my opinion, the list is diverse in gaming genres so if i had to choose the best rpg game of the decade, it would be witcher 3 hands down, skyrim is horrible out of the box and terribly buggy, and most of the good stuff for the game comes from the modding community , not the game itself
    Portal 2 -didnt care for it myself but had a huge following, if there was a puzzle game to make the list i guess this fits
    Disco Elysium- never played it so cant comment

12. bibanica

bibanica Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Portal 2
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

All the rest , garbage !

13. Terradorvite

Terradorvite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7900XT
    These titles are more subjective, but I thought Nier :Automata would have made the list. Im a little sad.

14. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Ditto - wheres crysis , FC games ? :eek:

15. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Grand Theft Auto V - ok
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - shitshow game, not even close
    Fortnite - myea good for kids, agree
    Dark Souls - meh, literally between good and bad
    League of Legends - meh, dota 2 is better (coming from a lol player)
    Pokémon Go - for mobile? Maybe
    Minecraft - eh, agree
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - meh, maybe last in the listt
    Portal 2 - good
    Disco Elysium - fcking shitshow game lol, why is it here

16. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    where witcher 3 ?? where is last of us ?? red death redemption??

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Texter and user1 like this.
  18. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Well there is only one good game on that list.... Who made that list?

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  20. A very monetary list