Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.3 - Download and discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mtrai, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Rufus1

Rufus1 Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix RX 5700XT
    found some more issues have reported them HDR on benq ex3203r goes haywire on most games not on far cry new dawn freesync premium when enabled on shows 60hz should be 120hz

Just to say installed older driver and hdr works fine refresh rates dint tho

2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    When it black screens again check to see if your tuning is set back to it's default. My thinking is that maybe happening.

GamerBoyManuel16 likes this.
  3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I had some fairly significant problems with the 19.12.2's that I didn't see at all with the 19.12.1's. I reported them in more than one place and sent in multiple issue reports to AMD. I was resigned to having to stay with the 19.12.1's for the foreseeable future as the bugs I was experiencing with the 19.12.2's were not trivial and amounted to crashing out of games to a black screen that was unrecoverable when playing RDR2 PC for about ten minutes, for instance; 3dmk Timespy benches literally running the first two graphics benches @ ~12 fps, believe it or not, just for starters--so like I say, it was back to 19.12.1's where none of these things occurs...

However--then the 19.12.3's rolled out, and with a little preparatory work, all of the previous bugs were gone, permanently! A most unexpected result, I admit--but a happy one...;) Apparently, there was some kind of installation glitching with the first 2020's installation routine, the 19.12.2's. Not even a "factory Reset" install of the 19.12.2's alleviated the problems I was having. But a careful install regimen with the 19.12.3's solved all the problems I was having and produced noticeable performance gains in software like the 3dMk Timespy bench. Here's what I did--it sounds too simple--but this is what finally corrected the driver problems I was having with the 19.12.2, 2020 drivers:

1) I started from an install of the Adrenalin 19.12.1's that was working fine, then uninstalled the drivers though Programs and Features, and rebooted.

2) At that point, next I installed the 19.12.3's with the "Factory Reset" option ticked, skipping the 19.12.2 2020's completely, and rebooted.

Viola--upon booting to the desktop the first time, I tested and the 3dMk problems were gone--the graphics benches running @ 60 fps + as usual, and RDR2 PC running fine, HDR included. No more CTDs--no more problems! as I say--it was an unexpected result, happily.

With all of the Adrenalins previous, including the pre-2020 Adrenalins, ~8800-8900 was my consistent scoring in 3dMk's Timespy. After I got a glitch-free install of the 19.12.3's, I can't score below 9000+, now--consistently. High score was 9375--my highest ever! This is with absolutely nothing changed apart from running the 19.12.3 2020 drivers! It's nice when these things happen unexpectedly! So got a sizable performance boost & saw the bugs I was having gone.

I can only conclude that there were bugs in the 19.12.2 2020 install routine that were not present in the 19.12.3, 2020's, and that some key files were either put into the wrong place, or not installed at all, or else were mixed with earlier driver files incorrectly, etc. Note: the first time I tried the install of the 19.12.3's on top of the 19..12.2's--I got no results--still had the same problems. But when I followed the steps 1) and 2) above, very carefully, I got a correct install. Just a guess, but it seems a reasonable one.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  4. GamerBoyManuel16

GamerBoyManuel16 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    After my first black screen i checked/manually reset the card settings to default (so no undervolting) and it still occured

But btw - i've tested with 19.11.3 for 3h now and no problems, no black tiles on window decorations of my browser - no black screen or screen flicker
    + i've played bioshock infinite and there was no trouble too

So Idk - i'll switch to 19.12.3 again and see if the problems will start again (+ i'll rattle on the card/reseat it + my memory - now)

5. Rufus1

Rufus1 Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix RX 5700XT
    Psst lol Viola is a type of stringed instrament u mean voila :)

AlleyViper likes this.
  6. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    RIS dx11 is amazing on RX580, using it in GTA5 is almost like a playing at higher resolution.

Undying, Passus and OnnA like this.
  7. sidi0us

sidi0us Active Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Hi, just a quick feedback.
    I've been struggling to get any decent gaming experience since I've got the 5700 XT Red Devil, about a month ago, lots of issues like black screens, tearing, stuttering...

Some games were unplayable, VSync enabled, stuttering, fps drops from 75 to 30-40. Vsync disabled, rtss 72 cap, tearing everywhere and fps drops as well (chill was a bit better but not by much).
    I've noticed that if I remove any fps limiter, VSync, Chill, RTSS, in any game, I got excelent performance with almost no tearing, just some judder because of the variable fps.
    So I remembered that someone was saying that when you have freesync and vsync enabled and the fps are higher then the monitors refresh rate, the driver drops the fps to get inside the freesync range, so...

I've managed to oc the freesync range using Custom Resolution Utility (CRU). I went from 40-75 to 33-85, also, I've set the main resolution to 1080p 75Hz, LCD Reduced @ 165 MHz, and HDMI support data block to 340 MHz, using hdmi.

Now it's smooth with vsync on (75 Hz), even if the fps drops a bit, can't even notice them. I don't know if I've enabled lfc, but something changed, it's finally working.

OnnA likes this.
  8. GamerBoyManuel16

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Hm, ok - with being back on 19.12.3 firefox turned black again..
    also i had a strange problem after quitting Resident Evil 2 - i was playing in DX12 mode and after i've quitted the game - the menu was still visible - i could move the windows mouse cursor over the screen but no key combo (even ctrl+alt+del) worked.. i had to reset the pc :(

edit: can it may be caused by freesync?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it may be, but it may also be unstable system memory or a busted riser cable/card.

GamerBoyManuel16 likes this.
  10. Biały Wilk

Biały Wilk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850
    Gothic Teaser still crashing. At least Witcher3 with re-shade isn't crashing anymore. Witcher2 is unplayable as the clocks for 5700XT are stuck at 600MHz. Fallout 4 with enb also suffers in some areas from it. I have core at ~2050Mhz and drops to 1200MHz, the same with memory...

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah Witcher 2 using D3D9 and Fallout 4 hitting a heavy CPU limit despite D3D11 and the GPU downclocks which can't really be resolved since the minimum clock state in Wattman is completely ignored in what I assume is low-power or low-activity mode or just waiting on the CPU.

It can drop much lower too but for whatever reason nothing's been done about this behavior though one earlier driver tried to but plenty of reports still showed the card doing this thing and dropping immediately.
    A delay or something less sensitive - or outright disabling this mechanic or power save function. - would be useful since the other AMD GPU models does not exhibit this behavior while often being more CPU limited.

Well, sorta though the way the Navi operates might put a bigger emphasis on the CPU since the cycles are different instead of four turns for one Wave64 operation it needs less and can operate in both Wave32 and Wave64 if it's something here that mucks up the clock speed as the GPU throttles while possibly waiting on the CPU.
    (Which pretty much outright means D3D9 and OGL being single threaded are going to be hindered and AMD not having good or at all support for D3D11.1 driver command lists also hampers many D3D11 titles...not exactly a good scenario.)

EDIT: Well D3D11 should only stall for a shorter time so a delay and maintaining the clocks would reduce or outright remove the stuttering, D3D9's bit of a lost cause though and OGL is worse still which can be a problem despite the GPU performing well at lower clocks if it drops too far and if the D3D9 title in question actually is a bit more demanding.

Going with VSR is a poor idea too as it's not working quite right (Heavy stuttering, crashes and what else is being reported.) plus it's just forcing a GPU limit instead of CPU and not actually fixing anything.
    (Plus if it still fluctuates framerate will be worse and stuttering will also increase as the framerate and frame time fluctuations will be greater.)

12. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    Just had a blank/black screen over all thre monitor. Just now. Happened 4-5 times since i got the card. Only this time I had monitoring software up (by luck) An I see that in that 1-3 seconds it blacked out, memory temps went from 45c to 0c, CPU usage and temp spiked at same time. So that leads me to think the videocard reset and restarted software due to cpu spike as well.

Edit: Now when I think about it. This could also be the case as I have 1-3 sec freeze in games as well. Mostly happens in COD:MW, Destiny 2, Division 2 and Rocket Leage.. Lost so many matches in rocket league because of this 1-3 sec freeze... I'll bet it's the damn card resetting.

13. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Hi peeps,, I have found that Navi cards do not like high refresh rates or well anything over 60hz

Using CRU i removed the higher rates of 144, 120, 85 and 72 and just left the 60Hz

running games locked at 60fps with rtss gives the smoothest experience with RIS enabled and VSR at 1440p

Esports games run fine at the high refresh rates though fifa runs 205fps at 4k seemingly butter smooth

So after owning the card for a month i have found a way of getting smooth gaming just not high fps, i dont really play multiplayer shooters so the input lag is fine with me

14. Rufus1

Rufus1 Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix RX 5700XT
    I have disabled radeon boost as this was causing flicker(with mouse movement) in some games gtav for one, no flicker with it disabled

Also I have seen no mention of updating chipset drivers ,just as important as graphics I coulndt get through 3dmark without a freeze on dx12 found chipset update for x570 gaming f runs fine now

15. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    In the COD:MW I also experienced in game freeze for a few seconds with 19.12.3 and then continues like normal. I also had a couple of the nightmarish black screen/system freezes in MW where the only solution is a hard reset. Because of this, I went back to 19.12.1 and so far so good. I am suspecting it might be Radeon Anti-lag. I had that enabled but all the other stuff disabled. Didn't try without it. I had enough of black screen/freezes in the past.

16. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    I have an odd issue since the 19.12.2 drivers:

When my Windows 10 loads up, the screen darkens/dulls during the "logon" stuff. However, my mouse pointer retains it's original brightness level.
    The issue is temporarily fixed by anything which restarts the driver (like CRU's restart, but toggling an option like VSR also does the trick), but the next boot-up the issue reoccurs.

GOOGLEing it found some old posts which exactly describe the issue, however the supposed "fixes" don't work:
    -Use the Windows Color Calibration sequence,
    -Disable Auto brightness or other laptop-specific power-saving features (not available on my desktop-PC obviously)
    -Update monitor driver and color profile
    -update graphics driver

So I tried updating to 19.12.3, by removing the previous drivers, and using the latest DDU-version to remove it all, but that didn't fix it.

I reverted back to 19.12.1, and the issue is gone...

Is there anyone who knows what's going on here, or has encountered the same thing?

17. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    I may rule out Anti-Lag as I don't use any of these features in readeon settings. Have tried with both on and off all settings. The blackout seems like a graphic card / radeon setting reset. Blackout is also not the biggest issue with my games. It's the horrible 1-3 sec total freeze ( with audio running in background ).

MaCk0y likes this.
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's a regression from what seems to have worked in 19.12.1 along with what looks to be a return of at least some of the hardware acceleration issues in some browser software though I am still looking up more info.
    Black screen issue itself is easy enough to just clean out the drivers do the same thing with a earlier set either 19.12.1 or even earlier and see how that works which should result in the problem no longer occurring.

COD:MW 2019 does seem to be suffering from some random issues due to the latest patch but there might be something with newer AMD drivers too it's a bit unclear and I don't have the game myself so I can't really test it.
    (Seems like glitches with shadows at least are a game patch thing from possibly reducing things a bit for performance reasons.)

19. GamerBoyManuel16

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I'll try some more resident evil tonight + fiddle with the settings like freesync on/off / 120/144hz etc
    i also had horrible flicker yesterday after tabbing out the game a few times

the flicker was in windows - when tabbed back ingame , it was gone

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No problems here at all with 240Hz. But I have 8C/16T CPU and higher memory bandwidth.