Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by XenthorX, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have seen it now...

Movie felt like someone wrote video game cut scenes. It would have been OK game. But so many: "Why?" I had to ask. Really. Why did they had to make it that way?

I was like: "Just don't do that. It will go to wrong direction story wise." And what? They do exactly that!

Movie had a lot of foreshadowing too. (Silently preparing audience.)

This is probably not worst SW movie. CGI trilogy had worse writing, characters, scenes, ...
    But it is nowhere near good either. 4,5/10. I could have changed 15 minutes and make it 6~6,5/10.

Main issue for me was in returning useless characters. Speaking unnecessary phrases and then repeating them while they had no meaning.
    And not saying what should have been said.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Me neither. I literally cannot stand the sound of someone like that. I have to switch off and remove my ears and clean them afterwards...but it is an interesting point, wherein people see/hear something that is popular, and see that someone has success and then, in a very weird strain of humanity, take on the sound of their voice.

It is quite odd, and, slightly uncomfortable to watch - much like this current PoS that was written by the moron that wrote this movie....

Just so everyone is clear and, back on topic, the problem is this individual:

[​IMG]

Who wrote this:

[​IMG]

and this:

[​IMG]

Although, I will say that the oscar he earnt was deserved:

[​IMG]

BUT...

It can happen when a creative type writes something that clearly had all of their talent in it, and then is bereft of ideas and, basically, talent.

I'm sure we can all cite rock stars who couldn't write another song '...like the one from the first album...' as they literally give it all into one song/album and then *poof* all of their creative energy, and general creativity is expended, and they can no longer do anything creative. This is the kind of thing you read at college, where creativity runs out and the creative individual then is 'burnt out' and cannot create anything.

I think the simplistic analogy is putting them on too high a pedestal.

The only person I can immediately think of (in terms of writing) that this does not apply to (that is still alive) is Quentin Tarantino, because he is just insanely talented and prolific individual.

I often wonder what an 'X' movie would look, sound and feel like, if QT were to write it...so, a Disney movie, a Legal drama, an episode of south park, and most defintely, Star Wars movie...

Better than this $hit, that's for sure.

The main person I blame though, is Jar Jar Abrahams - as he is co-writer on this, and rumours were that this was his story, and yeah, the guy cannot write.

The one thing Jar Jar wrote that I genuinely like is this:

[​IMG]

But, I know I am deeply in the minority on this, but hey, I liked it - even with all of the product placements :)

3. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    I may find it funny but i have known people like brent, think of a word that rhymes with anchor. same with that overrated prick corden.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I see your point. Not sure though if fans like it or not? (generally speaking)

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh, I'll do you one better - I used to work with someone who kept taking on the affectations of Alan Partridge...I mean srsly...the last thing one of the staff needed to hear on a monday morning is an intentional fáux par sexual innuendo five inches from her ear...

I've sacked staff for less, and parading around the office trying to sound like that, yet, saying "oh I'm only joking..." does not hold defence in my court.

Fox2232 and Tiny_Clanger like this.
  6. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    add the partridge to my hate list too. be a prick nobhead anchor or jeremy hunt on your own time, not the company time. knee them in the cobblers then say im only joking, see what they say.

"what is the defendants defence? im a complete nobhead your honour"

i am the only rsole i am willing to put up with :D

Loobyluggs likes this.
  7. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    But would you rate THEM higher or lower than SW:RoS?

8. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    depends what SW:RoS is cos i aint got a clue :D

9. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Oh just some movie I've read about somewhere...just say it out loud: SWROSsssss!

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    How is the movie for something who doesn't really like Star Wars?

I was a big fan as a kid and in my 20's, but went right off them (ESB excluded) on my last rewatch a few years ago.

I'm a bit behind though as i've not seen TLJ or Solo, but while i though TFA was not particularly memorable i did enjoy Rogue One more than i expected.

11. So, anyone ever read the Han Solo trilogy....the ones about his adventures in the Corporate Sector? What about the Black Fleet Crisis , Jedi Academy or Dark Empire stuff? You know, when Star Wars was still cool. Man, i miss that. Think i will play some Empire at War or Republic Commando tonight.

12. Do you think it could be arrogance borne of winning an Oscar and the perception that one's work is now "certified" in sorts? I have to wonder in part if it is "oh well I can rest on my laurels now" sad really when you look at others whom have won Academy Awards and instead only pushed themselves harder than previously. Daniel Day Lewis comes to mind...
    • Spike Lee
    • Kathryn Bigelow
    • James Brooks
    • Richard Attenborough
    • Joel Coen
    • Ethan Coen
    • Guillermo del Toro
    • Clint Eastwood
    • Alejandro Iñárritu
    • Kenneth Lonergan

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2019
  13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Didn't join the discussion earlier since I wanted to avoid spoilers. Well, just came back from the theater and it was money well spent! I haven't had such a laugh together with my friends for as long as I can remember. I literally have sore abs while typing this. There's no point trying to dissect it, as others have already done it better than I ever could. I can't feel disappointed or deceived at this point, when a mess is this big, all you can do is laugh and watch it unfold.

I'm terribly sorry for the old crew actors that had to subject themselves to this though, but at the end of the day they walked away with a lot of money (some more than others *cough cough* Harrison Ford for his 1 minute cameo :p), so yeah...

PS - Shame on you Rey Palpatine, for lying to that old woman to the face, what kind of example do you set for all the little girls watching, pff! :confused:

14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Some outstanding summarising in the below videos but be warned, they basically contain the whole story of the film so don't watch if you don't want spoilers. I watched them without even seeing the film because I just don't care anymore.

Solfaur likes this.
  15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Finished watching them right before I saw this post, haha. He's very good.

16. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Not to crap on the film for the sake of it but I found this quite interesting and related.

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The film wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but that's not saying much (my expectations were as low as they could get). Frankly, I'm just glad that this trilogy has been put to bed and SW fans won't have to see their beloved series get butchered further.
    No real surprise that they went back to the original trilogy again, resurrecting the emperor and having a major fleet battle at the end (a la Return of the Jedi). I guess they thought it was safer to do another rehash than explore something different, which reinforces my opinion that the latest trilogy lacks vision and direction.

Solfaur likes this.
  18. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    @Repo Man yer its rigged af the scores aint budged in days n is the same now at 40k viewer score as it was when it was at 6k and oh lookie here its at the exact same number as Force Awakens. its disney Captain Marvel all over again reports of empty showins mysterious inflated box office, the movie industry and everythin connected with it is one big lie.

Solfaur likes this.
  19. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I have bad news for you, I'm afraid. They're already talking about adding 3 more episodes. IT JUST WON'T DIE

Solfaur likes this.
  20. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Solfaur likes this.