The Witcher [Netflix]

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Jul 20, 2019.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just finished the entire season!

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!

Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole way through, some really good writing and the characters are treated with respect and portrayed really well (Yen actress is so damn hot!). Special effects are also great (some cgi is a little dodgey), costumes are great, acting is great, the fight scenes put most big block buster movies to shame. Also has great pacing and some well thought out twists and turns. Editing is also really well done and keeps you engaged the whole time.

Honestly, this is by far MUCH better than I ever expected it to be. It's also been confirmed for a new season too!

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    fresh from episode 3 n was i the only one who thought the whole scene with the king outside the castle was about as close to a mission giver cut scene from the game as could be??? watchin it it played out almost as if it was a full 3D cut scene lol i could tell they would get close to how the game was from an adaption at times but was not expectin something literaly that close wow

i do wish they had cast someone with red hair for triss i dont think her actin skills are the best either but she only been introduced so i will hold my tongue firm for now everythin surroundin Yennefer was great it was nice to see mac from green wing show up he always did have a strangely appealin way of actin/movin and it rly stood out in his scenes.

this episode was everythin i could ever have hoped for from a Witcher adaption n seein Geralt usin his aard sign made me geek out a little my favourite episode by far now its time for number 4!!!!

Monsters and coin, I live for monsters and coin.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    jbscotchman and airbud7 like this.
  3. Lol. Fair enough' Point taken... a point made to your credit... "noob lacks win" hah... christ don't tell me we're there yet.

4. Not to come off sounding completely retarded; for me it was the "aaaagghhh" and the body motion and language he took out of the games (I had a feeling he might've played them from the way he seemed to portray the character) the grunting and gestures, posturing of Geralt, overall demeanor and yes that is contrary to the novels' portrayal. Although they mixed the two of-course but I'd say a main side-step was Geralt became very stoic whereas he expressed "more" in literary works.

This is not a critic. An observation. The show says oh we took from the books etc etc but rather they intended to or not; their Geralt may talk somewhat but really came across quite a lot like that of CDProjekt Red's. Which hey I mean the best form of flattery is imitation? Either way it landed very well in the surrounding world that was built around Cavill on-screen and if you'd been a fan of both works or even not just someone whom read and then played one or another game I'd say you could at least appreciate the work done. For it was very good work done. Far as the unusually wide divide between critics and fans on this; well the show isn't towing the Hollywood PC message. Clearly the critics doth protest too much. It's a great series!

5. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Have to agree, he was trying to be the game Geralt way more and with that he did a good job. The voice was on point.

Overall like I said its good, but I think there are so many of us who simply love the game so much that anything thrown at us with the budget this show has will get praise. It really is lacking in some areas though and is by for not amazing or extraordinary by any means.

Try and think of watching this show without reading the books or playing the games. I doubt half of us would be giving it as much praise as this.

ShadowDuke likes this.
  6. Hmm... well considering some people really don't play video games but love books and likely loved these, connected to the material via the books - yes they likely would wonder where the changes took place. I'd imagine they would have known of the games being how popular they are. I honestly can't gauge what their reaction might or might not be since mine is biased. When Sword of Destiny and Last Wish first released being Polish-copies I had no way of understanding any of them; the Internet definitely helped.

EDIT: What I meant is I literally learned of the books via the Internet and people that were releasing fan translations of them in English at the time...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2019
  7. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Yes, in general I agree, but majority of us here have played the games. I am enjoying the show mind you, don't get me wrong.

I have spoken.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    ive never read a single book connected to any of it obviously my one n only entrance was when i first bought Witcher 1 and instantly fell in love with the lore the world the characters n amazin stories i will agree that fans have been longin for something like this that binge watchin the entire season is a honeymoon period you are still pinchin yourself its even become a reality. its the phantom menace all over again im guesin minds will think differently over time for better or for worse.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Finished episode 6 last night and still thoroughly enjoying it. The only minor complaint I could have about this show is maybe if you're someone totally new to the witcher universe is that it could be a bit overwhelming to new viewers especially with how the timeline is set. Yesterday at Christmas dinner one of my older brothers (huge movie and tv show buff) was asking me about it, I filled him in on the basics and he's looking forward to watching it so I'm looking forward to hearing his thoughts. But yeah I think this show is definitely doing justice to the lore even though I haven't read the books (yes yes I know go ahead and throw stones at me) I have played thousands of hours between all three games and I'm already excited for starting my second run at the witcher 3 later this evening.

10. I'd recommend watching it a second time if you binged it; it's got replay value and you can pace yourself since you've already seen it once :)

Perhaps as background while doing other things ?

Stone Gargoyle likes this.

11. Hell nah brother n to the woodshed with those folks n their stones...

jbscotchman likes this.
  12. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    episode 6 done n what an episode it was i need to mention every episode is leavin me with very specific pieces of dialogue due to fantastic writin not sure if total acurate

love shines the brightest light but leaves behind the longest shadows

[​IMG]

once you spot happy witcher sword aint no goin back lol

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Just further proves my belief that most professional critics are not only biased, but also ignorant in some aspects.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have seen 1st episode.

Error rate:
    - 1 minor error per minute
    - 1 character error per 3 minutes (Actions done by other characters. Sentences spoken by wrong characters. Messed up relationships.)
    - 1 major error per 5 minutes

I was pretty disappointed about entire "Lesser Evil" ark as they completely F* up entire interaction of characters. And left very important parts of dialogues to give different impressions about characters.
    Guy who wrote screenplay for "Ultimatum" part was likely unable to remember 5 pages from book. And I am sure that someone who have not read the book had absolutely no clue what it was supposed to mean. And what it actually was like in book.

Cintra part was not any better. Especially in regards to actual ability to resist and actions of Calanthe. To simplify things, they depicted her as much weaker and did same for individual soldiers in her army.

And I expect them to have chronological issues as they go on.
    @Undying : Witcher games are not masterpiece. They changed nature of characters, bent events to suit narrative, ... Games are OK, but I like books. And that means I dislike some parts of games.

15. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    2nd episode is disaster in terms of chronology, events, character behavior. Compared to 1st episode, which was full of errors, this one is cluster-F*.

Actually only acceptable parts are in "creative license" around Yennefer.

17. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    FOUR Directors, SEVEN writing credits next to Sapkowski, SIXTEEN PRODUCERS. You should be glad Geralt is still a guy at that point.

airbud7 and Fox2232 like this.
  18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Butthurt wannabe knowledgeable gamers and butthurt incomprehensible pwned bookfans, do not understand the sentence: " NETFLIX ORIGINAL SERIES ". This was more than enough for every single person out there to understand that, you should never expect absolute relevance to either game series or books, nor in the first episode, neither in season X,Y,Z. Get a life, enjoy something you haven't taken part in it.

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    It doesn't suck. It's f*cking awesome!