Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by XenthorX, Dec 12, 2019.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yikes. Yeah pretty much everything I was expecting turned out to be true, and possibly worse than I imagined.

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Oh man If this is how Tyrone Magnus feels than this movie has failed.

No spoilers, he has a separate video for that.

4. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    i wouldnt trust rotten tomatos after hearing stuff the past few days.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I don't trust rotten tomatos at all anymore. Without getting political, I think it's safe to say that most of their critics now days are a little biased in some aspects.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Why do so many people have an affectation of David Brent?

I really despise the sound of people who fakely use this - so when someone drops me a link, I have to download a transcript of what they said, and then 'dislike' their content and tell youtube to block their content, because I do not want to hurl my monitor across the room.

I like my monitor.

Anyway, the transcript - after reading this drivel [why did you watch this?] I saw all of the worst aspects of verbal speech and incomplete sentences, but can simply surmise [for everyone] so they do not have to subject themselves to this video:

He didn't like it.

There you go, no need to watch the video on youtube or the film as it clearly is just a big waste of time, in both cases.

7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Well, I saw it yesterday, it was not as bad as TLJ but that movie already messed up with could have been at least a decent trilogy.

Well sure, they need to sell ads in order to stay in the business, can't be overly critical.
    I found out this about the hifi-press in the 90s, something I wish I had done sooner as I wasted quite a bit money on for instance expensive cables when those really don't do a lot to the sound at all.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I have no idea who that is.

9. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Maybe I'm getting older and just don't care that much but for taking it for what it was...a MOVIE...I enjoyed it.

The best of Star Wars is rooted in the 1977-1983 movies. The rest is just icing of the cake. It keeps me coming back but I'm not vested in it nor do I care. Heck, I find even the Mandalorian boring.

Was it quick paced/rushed in certain areas? Yes.

Did I sit back, drink my beer, and watch an enjoyable ride for 2 hours and change? Yes, and that's all that matters to me.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  10. Saw The Rise of Skywalker last night. The title of the film is a stretch. The movie was bad. If you thought the prequels were bad, think again; at least George Lucas's prequels had direction. This was frenetic, choppy, the actual pacing of the film was so rushed you could feel yourself thinking "holy crap slow the hell down" what plot or storyline they managed to fit into it was bad. Not bad in the open-ended general sense bad in the sense of it did not have specificity or much backstory into what characters were introduced; the Knights of Ren for example. They were just "there". Other instances were just plain boring; I found myself watching the majority of the film honestly bored wondering "ok is this going to be over soon". Resurrecting Palpatine was the worst plot-hole ever for a writer and you didn't really see it evident until watching this film. You saw the obvious flaws in retconning a previously finished series of films. The struggles and awkward positions the film found itself in. The complete 0 to 100 abilities that characters immediately displayed with force powers near Avengers level limit.

I found myself questioning at times if I was in a Marvel movie because of the style in which the directing and writing was being taken not necessarily the ability of the characters but the manner in which they were being used... Lastly - the caveat to constantly trying to have highs and lows... throughout the movie shown through life and death got old so fast it was annoying. The Return of the Jedi did this very well; it had those moments in a few very specific cases and showed them as truly sad and finite. When you show something that is finite as finite it becomes impactful. The choice scenes of "intensity" surrounding the deaths of certain characters in Rise of Skywalker were so campy I found myself accidentally laughing at a few of them - in the goddamn theatre. Yeah. Least to say the ending. The very very ending hearkened to the Matrix Reloaded, Neo resurrecting Trinity - and also the moment where I'd had enough and walked out of the movie before it finished. I actually sat through the entire viewing of The Last Jedi; I supposed that says something. Regardless, now I wish I'd never seen any of these three crap poor films

We can't all have taste :p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2019

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    [​IMG]

12. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Well, got home from the theater and can now safely browse the internet without fear of spoilers suddenly appearing in strange places.

...It's kinda amazing to see how The Force Awakens was great at setting up a " Passing of the baton " from the older generation to the newer generation. Followed by The Last Jedi which didn't even attempt at having a story or coherence to the SW lore and just did whatever could excuse having visual effects in place.

And now Rise of Skywalker tries it best to undo all that was TLJ. Well, at least the prequels aren't the worst SW Trilogy anymore. :p

13. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I too just got back with my brother. We both really enjoyed it.

14. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    ^^^ the original character from the original UK 'The Office' played by Ricky Gervais, which later became Steve Carell's character Michael Scott in the US adaptation of The Office.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I give it a 5.5 out of 10.
    Worth watching if you're a fan, if not then watch it on Netflix next year.

16. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I'm of the opposite opinion, and would say it's a worse experience if you are a fan. And I think you'd find it more enjoyable if you are just a casual movie goer.

Its a bit tricky, I really, really wanna discuss the movie and elaborate on why I think fans and people who are invested into Star Wars will dislike and hate it. But doing so would require talking about points which is just outright spoiling the movie, but that would just be rude at this time.

17. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Man, judging from past experience with 8, and after reading the reviews, I dare say I'll avoid watching this even when I can do so for free.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    So i just watched it since its on the net right now.
    one thing that made me smile is the end part where it shows some mandalorian stuff. but thats sort of a nostalgia thing.

overall i find the movie quite bad. directing was horrible at some points where it just go from one point to another. oh lets go to this planet at location x is a item we need, ok 1 sec later they are already walking at their destination. It had many of those moments which made the movie feel like it has been cut too much, or they didnt care at all.
    general scenes or battle scenes were also pretty cringe. They really should have put more effort to this. This is the worst episode for me out of the triology.

there also seems there is no gravity , where you can jump off a ship on top of another then while standing there just fly away. (without even being a jedi).

4/10 for me, it is the worst star wars movie out there.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    If i had stopped watching at the 2/3 or the movie, i would have given it a 7.5/10 .
    The last third of the movie dragged it to a 5/10 for me

20. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    I know of gervais and brent and i have no wish to see anything of either in larger than zero amounts

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Loobyluggs likes this.