Should I Turn On V-Sync With Freesync..?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by zeebaluch, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Should i use fastsync or normal vsync in NV CP?

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Within the VRR range they do the same thing. The question is do you want to tax your gfx card by running the FPS well beyond maxfps of your monitor to benefit from FastSync? I prefer to keep things cool and quieter by keeping to the VRR range.

Corbus likes this.
  3. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    I'm not sure if I understand it correctly but Fast-Sync+G-Sync+FPS limit can be worse than V-Sync+G-Sync+FPS limit.

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/2/
    https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/8/

"(...) In fact, unlike G-SYNC + V-SYNC, Fast Sync remains active near the maximum refresh rate, even inside the G-SYNC range, reserving more frames for itself the higher the native refresh rate is. At 60Hz, it limits the framerate to 59, at 100Hz: 97 FPS, 120Hz: 116 FPS, 144Hz: 138 FPS, 200Hz: 189 FPS, and 240Hz: 224 FPS. This effectively means with G-SYNC + Fast Sync, Fast Sync remains active until it is limited at or below the aforementioned framerates, otherwise, it introduces up to a frame of delay, and causes recurring microstutter. And while G-SYNC + Fast Sync does appear to behave identically to G-SYNC + V-SYNC inside the Minimum Refresh Range (<36 FPS), it’s safe to say that, under regular usage, G-SYNC should not be paired with Fast Sync (...)"

Corbus likes this.
  4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Radeon Settings Advisor does not suggest that we have to enable vsync for freesync to work.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Most of the time. When it doesn't (it temporarily tears even while your FPS is way below Hz), you need vsync. I recommend FPS cap + vsync OFF by default now when using g-sync (due to some possible stutter with vsync in some situations), but with some games (Prey 2016) you're gonna need vsync, otherwise some tearing is going to flash in and out for some frames.

In the past I recommended vsync ON with g-sync, but the stutter issue is more common than the tearing issue, so I reversed my recommendation.

6. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

Not to stir up the coals in this debate, but does all this mean that you have to keep changing the setup based on the game you're playing and what kind of FPS you get? Like some games, you may get only 40 FPS and others could be 200. Would you have to constantly change the sync settings? This would seem to be a tedious thing.

As I am currently in the market for a new system and monitor, I'd like to find the difference and/or issues with FreeSync vs G-Sync.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @TE5LA

No. You only change the sync setting if you see tearing in the specific game you're playing. You can set the sync setting just for that game in its NVCP profile. And you're never gonna see 200FPS, because you're supposed to cap your FPS. (If you have a 240Hz monitor, then 200FPS will be fine, because you'd cap to something like 237FPS. But it's best to cap near the average FPS you're getting anyway, to get more consistency. If some parts of the game run at 100FPS and some others at 220FPS, the change is too jarring, so you'd cap to something 120-ish or so, so that it "feels" the same all the time.)

Note that this is for native g-sync displays. I have no experience with "g-sync compatible" freesync monitors.

8. Jayson

Jayson Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    Best way to use FreeSync is:

FreeSync on
    Vsync on (in game)
    Cap FPS to a few frames lower than max refresh

Having vsync ON will not affect input lag as long as you're capped below the max refresh of the monitor. I don't care what anyone says, I've done my own testing with it.

Also, FreeSync is weird and sometimes the monitor will jump up to max refresh for just 1 frame and if you have vsync off, it will tear in that instance, but if you keep vsync on, you will never see a tear ever.

yasamoka likes this.
  9. humik

humik Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super 6GB
    So ...I read whole topic, but not perfect in english… If I have 144Hz monitor (fs range 48-144Hz) with LFC and my GPU is capable to do 40-60 fps.. in some cases more up to 150+ (example CS Source).. how to set vsync ? If I understood it well, in my case to keep freesync running I just need to cap frames to 144 - 3-4 fps dwn to 141 … and dont use any vsync so turn it off ?

thx

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yes enable freesync and cap it at 140fps with rtss and disable ingame limiters and vsync.

11. humik

humik Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super 6GB
    Or use chill and set it to 45-140 with no other cap limiter app ??

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    V-Sync should be enabled for frametime compensation to work. Otherwise, you will get tearing when the framerate limiter misses its target. This is probably the 100th time it is stated to *keep V-Sync enabled*.

jbscotchman likes this.
  13. humik

humik Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super 6GB
    Even if I have LFC monitor ?

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    LFC only deals with framerates that dip below the minimum refresh rate. V-Sync deals with framerates that approach, match, or exceed the maximum refresh rate. They have nothing to do with one another.

15. bobalazs

bobalazs Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 4Gb
    Sorry for necro: but in case anyone still want to debate this,Battle(non)sense tested this topic extensively. This image should clear up a lot of things. :[​IMG]

bluedevil likes this.

16. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    DISABLE HPET!!!

hahahaha jkjk
    just freesyncon + vsync

17. DarkSturm

DarkSturm Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700
    Hello. Thanks for this guide, it was very helpful for understanding the complex world of these technologies, but now i have a little question: i need to VSYNC ON in Radeon drivers and VSYNC OFF in-game with DirectX games? (i have a freesync monitor with 75 Hz). Thanks in advance.