RX 5700 XT Memory temps really high [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by sathyrion, Dec 18, 2019.

1. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    I'm getting up to 98 degrees celsius on my memory temps playing GPU heavy games.
    GPU temps around 78-85 degrees.
    For reference, I'm using a MSI RX 5700 XT MECH OC card.

This is my first AMD card since 290X, so I'm not sure what's common on the new cards. Coming from nvidia GTX 1060, this is insainly high temps though.

Any thoughts?

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    From what i seen Mech should be getting much lower memory temperature. Evoke was crap though. Make sure you have enough airflow in your case and dont overclock living crap out of it.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Load temperatures on this card should have the vram at around low to mid 60's, sounds like theres a thermal material mating issue or the heatsink is not secure.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    have a fan blowing from the front of case straight over the gpu,, it knocks nearly 20c off the temps

5700 Mech OC without extra fan 85c GPU and nearly 105c Memory but the memory is somewhat weird as its confirmed this temp can be as high as 18c out due to how the monitor works

after extra fan 74c max gpu and 88c memory oc'd 1930 (1880) and 930 .. 1.081v

5. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    just get some new pads, and be done with it. MSI on my system never again. its bad experience always. but they have very good board bios.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's junction temperature instead of the edge temperature same as the GPU core sensor and how that's reported but that still seems very high, wouldn't want it above 90 maybe 95 degrees Celsius (Say 80 - 85 degrees edge temperature.) though some of the custom designs have had problems with those or the VRM's and others like the early Strix I think had really bad fitting to where the pads or paste didn't connect fully thus greatly lowering cooling efficiency on some or several chips though it should have since improved over the first few batches for that card as I'm hearing.

From the video above it seems like a very possible situation here so either a RMA or depending on local regulations on this kind of thing stripping off the cooler and redoing the thermal pads and paste but that's not exactly the easiest.
    (EDIT: Let's see now for the US if I remember how this worked the warranty sticker isn't that big of a deal but elsewhere it might hinder things if the GPU has been disassembled.)

Not super complicated either but it requires some care and then also testing so it all fits and everything is covered and getting cooled properly, at least with the junction sensors it'll be pretty clear if somethings off.

7. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    WOW!

I def gonna check my card this afternoon to see if it has this thermal pad flaw... If this is the case with my card, it's seriously some very bad MSI sollution...

8. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    Thanks. I'll check the card visually first. Don't have any pads laying around, so if this is the reason I'll probably RMA it as it will take the same amount of time either way..

Edit: I guess I could steal two pads from my nvidia card that was replaced :)

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The GPU junction temp should be "OK" up to 110 degrees so say 95 C for the usual reading instead of this method of the hottest via multiple sensors but memory would be lower but there's limited info on these GDDR6 modules so I'm not exactly sure on what that limit is but I can't imagine hitting 90 degrees being good for a prolonged period of time and the memory performance might also be throttled in various ways which reduces performance and the cards are already a bit memory bottlenecked as it is.

Can't say I'm all that great with finer hand movement so it'd be a bit messy but if possible then some replacement pads and clean and reapplication of thermal paste for the GPU core should be good assuming there's no construction problems with the heatsink itself. :)

Doubt it but I've seen a few pictures with cracks and warps or similar making proper fitting impossible or affecting cooling efficiency depending on where these are but I would expect it's just a poor factory job and once re-done and the cooler is mounted back on and it's all fitting as it should then this problem will be fixed.

EDIT: That and if doing a RMA and getting a card that's been through a process as well instead of a new one isn't that fun if that happens though ideally any problems are purely visual and not impacting the GPU otherwise.

There should be stock enough for covering for returns but that sort of thing still happens plus the wait time itself if the system doesn't have a integrated GPU or the previous card can be used while waiting for what could take over a week or more.
    (Well my own experiences haven't been the best but it's not been a complete disaster either at least for when this has been required.)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  10. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    I't 500$ decission to be made here. RMA and get a new brand, or void warranty and hope nothing breaks. I've done this plenty of times before, but not on a 1 week old card...

11. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    I'm running 2 x 120mm front (push), 120mm side(push), 120mm back(pull) and 2 x 120mm(pull) on top. No issues with other temps and previous card.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Exchange it to 2070 super if you can.

13. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    Oh yes. The thermal pads was the excact same as in the video... W.O.W ! ! !
    Replaced them all now from another videocard and replaced the stock cooling paste (Was hard as brick....).

Ran RDR2 max settings 30 mins: GPU: max 77c, Memory max 78c. That's 8c difference on the GPU and 20c difference on the memory!!!
    Never in my life seen such a crap factory job on a videocard cooling before...

Maddness and SpajdrEX like this.
  14. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Gratz on getting it resolved :)

15. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Motherboard model?

Edit: seems resolved! Merry Christmas!

16. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    brother EVOKE got currently mentioned also with crappy thermal pads for GDDR6 chips

skip to 18:54

17. Dankbongripz420

Dankbongripz420 Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 MECH OC
    Hey unfortunately mine were also exactly as pictured in the video above, been having problems off and on with this card since day one...Mem temps are reaching 92!!! Was curious if you could tell me the thickness of the pad you used to replace what they've got?
    Please and thank you kindly for your time.

18. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    GDDR6 runs hot

mine also can hit 92c even with new pads on the vram the limit is 115c so just enjoy your gpu and play some games :)

I fell into the trap of watching the temps these cards run hot

19. Dankbongripz420

Dankbongripz420 Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 MECH OC
    Mine is getting green screen on left monitor and black on main. Does it from time to time even before I attempted any OC. I figured this was the problem honestly. Quick stress test to it results the same I use mining to stress it quickly...as with gaming or even Furmark it's unpredictable how long it'll be. Mining is less than an hour

20. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Do you mine often on that gpu?

then thats probably your issue