Workaround for stuck memory clock on RX580

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by passenger, Jun 29, 2019.

1. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    My suspicion is that it might depend on the monitor. What monitor do you have?

2. DigitalAiz

DigitalAiz Guest

GPU:
    xfx 5700 xt thiccII
    i got an lg 34um88 , its oc'ed to 75hz with freesync range 35-75.

3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Have you tried without the overclock and freesync disabled? BTW, how's that Thicc? Are the memory temperatures fine?

4. DigitalAiz

DigitalAiz Guest

GPU:
    xfx 5700 xt thiccII
    i did try every possible combination .
    about the thicc, while playing BDO online on remastered mode at 3440x1440 (which is the most stressful thing a gpu can do these days i believe ), i have memory temp at 80c , hot spot at 75-79 , gpu at 66 and vrms at mid 60s as well. i have a mild undervolt at 1125mv with boost clock at 2ghz which is contant ( without the UV it maintains 2110mhz at all times while gaming ) and my fan curve is at 40% when idling all all the way to 100% when it hits 75C. so while playing it mostly remains at 80% which is barely audible ( i do have a cm storm stryker case with a lot of fans anyway ) . On every other AAA game ( re 2 ,rise of tomb raider etc etc) these temps go down by 4-8 degrees . also i have to note that my AC is busted and right now in Greece we have around 35C so my ambient temp is not optimal . last but not least , i have re-pasted the gpu with thermal grizzly hydronaut paste , changed the default thermal pads on the memory with arctic ones 1,5mm thick pads and added some thermal pads between the backplate and the back of the gpu/ram and vrm .

MaCk0y likes this.

5. Assimilator1

Assimilator1 Guest

GPU:
    RX 580
    No that isn't all, it means your PC is pulling more power, in my rig's case about 27w more, not a vast amount, but worth turning off the 2nd monitor for (plus the power it's using), I mainly only use it when playing Elite Dangerous anyway. Incase you wondered why I didn't turn it off in the 1st place, the power button is dead, so I do it via win7's screen res panel now.

Oh the other thing, with the grx card not being in full idle, the fan will sometimes work, adding a little wear (I can't hear the GPU fan when it's running at low speeds).

Anyway, thanks for the useful information guys, cut my power usage by about 45-50w when I'm using my rig :).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  6. DR3AMCAST3R

DR3AMCAST3R Guest

GPU:
    RX 480
    Actually there is a very simple way to have low memory clocks aven at 144hz.
    Go to Radeon Settings>Screen, turn GPU scaling OFF.
    Then create a new custom resolution, digit the number in "refresh rate (Hz)". Soon after that be sure to change "timing Standard" to "CVT" and click on save.
    Reboot your system (the refresh rate you created might not instantly show up on windows advanced screen settings if don't do so).
    Go to windows screen advanced settings, choose the refresh rate you created under the "monitor" tab and... Voilà.

Sorry for my english, greetings from Italy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Jackalito likes this.
  7. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I'm probably just doing something wrong, but it's not working for me with drivers 19.8.2 and RX 5700 XT:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions?

8. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Would be interesting to have a poll on whether people who have a single high refresh monitor connected are affected by this issue.

9. Andi Sa'dani

Andi Sa'dani Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700/8GB
    My setup: Monitor-1 Samsung 1440p 144Hz (DP) & Monitor-2 ViewSonic 1080p 60Hz (HDMI) connected to Shappire RX 5700 Pulse with Ryzen 5 3600 B450 system.

I didn't realize this, then I play DOTA 2, the game crashed and force the system to reboot, the crashes persist until I change the case to a bigger one and decent CPU cooler, even with the case and CPU cooler I can see the GPU touched >90°C.

I can manage to "normalize" the MCLK to 200MHz reported by GPU-Z change monitor-1 refresh rate to 60Hz or by disabling monitor-2 completely, either way now I can play DOTA whole night long without slightest worry about GPU thermal problem, even with 144Hz that I set right before launch the game.

If AMD think it's not a driver bug, atleast give the end user option to auto change the refresh rate in the driver, something like whitelist of some applications that need to run at 144Hz.

Setup-1 Monitor-1 144Hz@1440p & Monitor-2 60Hz@1080p.
    [​IMG]

Setup-2 Monitor-1 60Hz@1440p & Monitor-2 60Hz@1080p.
    [​IMG]

Setup-3 Monitor-1 60Hz@1440p & Monitor-2 disabled.
    [​IMG]

10. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    A solution for stuck/high gpu memory clock on higher frequency monitors, finaly. Select your native monitor frequency(75Hz in case)in dispalay settings, head over to CRU and selct under "detailed resolutions" your desired resolution and frequency than click edit. Under "Timing" select LCD standard and click ok, and if you wanna apply anything in CRU you must click ok on in main window also, restart and enjoj idle clocks. Hope this helps someone.

Jackalito likes this.

11. chix_AHOY

chix_AHOY Active Member

GPU:
    RX 470 4gb
    Guess I'm lucky I don't encounter this problem, LG monitor 1080p 75hz freesync

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I still have it stuck even after new drivers.

13. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    You must tweak it like I did, drvier upgrade itself won’t change everything.

Undying likes this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It does not work. Lcd standard or native memory clock is still stuck. Using a two monitors is my problem.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It's all in combination of driver timings and each one's monitor HZ. If you find the golden sweet spot, elevated clocks are gonna drop. Search and take notes. Then save it somewhere to do it again after each driver update. It isn't impossible, just, an extra headache with a handmade painkiller.

Undying likes this.

16. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    It’s a single monitor fix and it works.
    As for multi monitor setups
    it's not a bug. To quote amdmatt: “Multiple displays with different resolutions, refresh rates, timings and or using different display adapters/connections requires more resources from the GPU, this can move the GPU up into the next memory clock state to compensate and avoid issues such as flickering or corruption.

If all displays are identical, using the same resolution, refresh rates, timings and using identical display adapters/connections then the GPU may be able to run two or more without moving up into the next clock state. It can vary from Bios to Bios and GPU to GPU, but the expected behaviour is increased clock speeds so this is not something we can change.”

Undying likes this.
  17. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    even people with single 60HZ monitors are still affected (memclock) and nothing fixed since the May driver. AMD has become a bunch of Kmart Clowns!

merry Xmas everyone!

18. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    worked also for me! RX580 on AOC G2790PX display, just loaded the LCD standard profile
    saw that on a reddit post regarding mhz pixel frequency

passenger likes this.
  19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Stuck clock is a myth. Even at weird clocks from 59 to 76 hz I never saw elevated speeds. All are normal. People should just let monitor edid and drivers @ stock or use cru with existing timings.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

its real and it still bugs me. My card has been stuck for a long time. Two minitors are the reason why.

[​IMG]

warlord likes this.