Man I love food, what ya'll eating!...2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Feb 15, 2019.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus

https://i.**********/NMSLbN7C/homer-drooling.gif

airbud7 and JonasBeckman like this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Plenty of reference material and I love the painted style of these earlier books though for now the dog and training and overall lack of experience and skill really means I haven't gotten too much done with trying to look up the full recipes and replicating some of these. Yet.

[​IMG]

Course the drawings are what they are and they're kinda super elaborate and ridiculously detailed.

[​IMG]

That thing there in the middle? That's apparently a capon which well it's a rooster or sort of under a massive mountain of epic proportions...of mayonnaise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah it's definitively going to be real hell alright if I dumped ALL of that on top of a grilled chicken. (Rooster.)

But done well and with some care and less SPLUUURT like one really needs to get that last bit out of the ketchup bottle but it's not co-operating at all.

[​IMG]

It can work. :)

EDIT: Lots of texts and example images (To save from even more text.) it's going to require some trial and error and a lot of foul language from the cleanup required. :p

And a bunch of reference pictures from successes though it will be fun to see how things go whether it's various desserts or main dishes.

One of those things I found out when I started trying more home cooked rather than instant is that it was quite fun though it does require a lot of work and doing it over and over and improving and learning but it's been incredibly fun although there's still a lot more to learn. :)

Hopefully if things do go well I can start adding some actual photos of how it goes but I do expect the first few attempts to be slightly less than disastrous at least but probably not quite as intended.

( ~Just eat it! ~ I think is how that song went again. :D )

EDIT: Yeah I know, just starting out and have some experience with desserts and not much at all with actual dishes and cooking just yet.

Let's replicate some amazingly complex 1920's menus!

It'll be fun at least, taste is king as it goes.
    (And from there to actually getting it to not completely fall apart. ~ )

EDIT: But first things first, week or so and I might have something for that chocolate cake I was curious on, recipes seem fairly light actually meaning there's little ingredients but well it makes sense since it's primarily flour and cacao and chocolate of what preferred sort plus some smaller things and how it should be decorated.

Worst comes to it'll be a bit more liquid but I don't see anything too problematic after checking a couple of recipes and what these have in common and what also differs.

After all the topic is "What are you eating." Not what would you eat so I do need something to show besides potential ideas and the early somewhat successful bacon and burger creations.

EDIT: And of course anytime the kitchen is left unattended or something else needs to be worked on or just turning around Vale the all devouring hunger kinda tends to be there.

[​IMG]

Spicy minced rolls of sorts, bit of a sweet pepper and some rice that needs to be cared for and trying to get the rice and well...

Bit of a warning and well OK can't use the chair and instead might just try to paw the table itself and prop up, won't work OK so just try using the head and reach it with the tongue instead.
    Learns easily at least, training is going well but eating is life and anything goes if food is anywhere near the vicinity.
    (Just try everything and now it's also this age were they can be a bit more rebellious, fun times!)

So no flinging chocolate all over the place or anything, there's that as well ha ha!
    Going well though, just need to be a bit observant and take it slow and obviously keep stuff well out of reach especially since the dog is still growing to be on the larger side of the Shetland Sheepdog size scale.

(It goes as expected, I'm in the kitchen he's in his bed in the hallway but once I'm not in the kitchen well he's not going to be in that bed ha ha.)

Sticking these rolls on a metal pin can also make them really suitiable for grilling and opens up for various ways of improving the spices and seasoning further such as marinades and what not compared to what can be done in a oven or pan. :)
    There's other meats and all kinds of fun stuff for spit roasting though or how it's called again. (This is just a smaller thing too not some bigger massive grill party mix plate though that'd be fun too.)

Well that's a bit of just about everything, let's see how that Chocolate Devils Food Cake goes as the next step of well it'll be chocolate in some form at least that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

And do some better formatting and layout next time, oh well bunch of random assorted ideas mostly but it'll get turned into results as well though how that will turn out well it'll be edible if nothing else that shouldn't be hard to accomplish at least!
    (Priorities!)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    big ROBOT bill, Noisiv and airbud7 like this.
  3. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    lasagne, garlic flat bread and mushy peas :)

big ROBOT bill and airbud7 like this.
  4. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    having some pork belly, korean bbq style

Tiny_Clanger and big ROBOT bill like this.

5. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Oh they are big ROBOT bill, more popular in the north of england i think(used to be). :)

airbud7 and big ROBOT bill like this.
  6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I love these! Little marina for dipping and I'm good to go.

[​IMG]

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hamburger steak...hmm looks pretty much like the food here called Pannbiff (Err let's see that's Frying pain beef or something like that translated directly.) as a bigger sort of essentially a hamburger though often filled generally using hacked yellow onions.

Can't really use those much, lack of gallbladder means well...backblast. :p

Can do what's called anything from Panned Beef, Salisburg or just Man(sized)burger though albeit it needs some refining.

[​IMG]
    Ketchup is what it is but the tomato "sauce" or red-ish water with flavor is a big drawback with the store bought canned types but it can be improved over time though I can't quite get a proper tomato plantation going although the few plants I've had sure are different from the bought ones.
    (Birds like them too so yeah that can be a challenge alright. :p )

Need some scaling up still to reach the proper size epics but eh need a ton more flame and fire to get that fully readied instead of raw we're not doing Tartar quite yet after all.
    (That would be this, guessing it's the Sushi type thing - at least for how I've handled it. - were the rawness is overcome by all the sauce and spices that could possibly the thrown at it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare )

Eventually though and with a larger grill...
    [​IMG]
    (Yeah it's more of a hamburger again but the two are pretty close after all.)

But there's still a ways to go. :D

EDIT: And here's my 200g diet pseudo-burger complete with fries...eh training is giving results and it's fun to eat without balancing every single thing. :)

Then again the training or what to call it is running up and down what is something like mountain course complete with rough terrain so yeah it does give results alright in addition to lighter exercising in weird and strange and somehow still effective ways ha ha!

https://abload.de/img/test6okvx.jpg
    (Though what's important for that is finding something that works and is also enjoyable without being frustrating or overly difficult though I wanted a challenge.)

EDIT: Yeah the camera sure is getting a bit tough on preserving finer details, might be time for a upgrade soon hah.

And with that next up would be Big Red's Food Cake.
    ...Why food cake anyway.

Something like this but results will vary a bit, should make for a fun project tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Well I know Deviled has been a name for a few dishes at least so meh it's not important, long as it doesn't deflate the moment I stick a spoon in the thing it'll be fine!

Chocolate with chocolate spread and then chocolate topping, well it should taste like chocolate at least no matter how the first results go so that's positive!
    (...Unless it's called that because it burns hella easily but eh, crispy chocolate!)

Oh and there was that nut and jelly salad whenever I actually find something for the jelly.

But that's for whenever I decide to do kitchen horror, some poor kid probably had to eat stuff like that back in the day.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.reddit.com/r/shittyfood...ntric_spaghet_in_aspic_with_venetian_sausage/

It's not the worst I've seen (Grandmas salmon mousse, Fort Frankfurt and the like.) but yeah that's not what I would do with what appears to be jellied minestrone soup and some mystery sausages.
    (Wobble wobble...salads nice though.)

Then again it could taste better than it looks but then it looks like some alien arcane horror or deep sea monstrosity so maybe not.

EDIT: Zoomed in a bit too much on the food I think, then again it's that or another pic of the dog looking like "Aha you're holding something, chance!" and trying to do his best to reach the plate as I'm struggling playing cameraman for a few moments.

EDIT: Well this sure deflated a bit and the chocolate addition wasn't quite as good as I expected mostly ending on top of it but it has the taste at least it just needs overall refinement and improvement.

[​IMG]

Some extras on top because why not, more topping and more chocolate couldn't hurt.
    The filling is in there though but overall it needs some improvement, tasted good so that's a start!

Needs another three or four attempts I think, not quite in a row though but it's a start.

EDIT:
    Get the chocolate more evenly spread and some darker type since the cake itself is very sweet as is.

Less chocolate overall for thinner coverage and then Marzipan perhaps or a contrasting chocolate for flakes or something instead. (Both!)

Height, form is a lesser priority though that form certainly did block the chocolate from covering so should resolve that next time. :D

All in all it's a beginning but it's not D.'s food cake it's more like S's little softie sugar-kick.
    Hah!

EDIT:
    Hmm wonder if I could nougat the interior of it, well that'd probably fail but it's a good second attempt and could make for some fun pictures though that mass is even softer and more sugary so eh probably not.

Then again mixed with some real dark chocolate....

[​IMG]

Overkill? Well maybe but it'd be a fun trial for Nr.3 perhaps.
    (Bitter Lil' Belse-Bubby.)

EDIT: Hmm one of those perhaps.

[​IMG]

So one or two layers of each instead of one of each and trying to get that right, not just chocolate cover but try different finishers. (Mortal Kitchen style!)

One of those white fluff things or chocolate fluffs with fluff inside (Fluff all of it!) yeah that'd be a possible idea when I get the basics down.

Better chocolate variety for proper sploorch effect and garnish, go full 10% left ketchup bottle on it!
    (Well, maybe. ~ Ha ha, just have fun and enjoy and as long as it's edible it's a good outcome especially for starting something new!)

EDIT: It'll take a good number of attempts but eh I managed to get hamburgers reasonably down in about a year of trial and error and more error and experimentation and wrong. :D

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    airbud7 and jbscotchman like this.
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Found some fresh raw sausages in the store named Go Chu Jang just put it in a bun and some chili ketchup on and that was pretty good.
    Got curious though as to what it was supposed to be and it's actually Chili Paste.

Some hot pepper mix after a quick Google search. :)

[​IMG]

Learned something new.
    (So *that's* what was in these. Eh more fun to check after actually eating the thing to preserve the mystery and surprise a bit heh.)

Besides that it's mostly hamburger variants and turning stuff into hamburger. :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare

Eh mincemeat out of calf instead of the usual (mixed cow or something like a cow and pork.) bit costlier but also tastes better just stick between two buns some sweet potato fries or whatever and lightly fry it a bit because the actual tartere is raw which I don't think I want to risk any problems just yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukhoe

And that's why the source of said meat is important.
    (Sides it should tastes better anyway at least in my opinion.)

Next up, getting a decent waffle iron so I can continue to do weird stuff with pancakes and it's variants. :D

Something like this example image would be neat.
    [​IMG]

As to my own current results, tasty but not that good looking (Bit flat and pale color.) though a mix of chocolate, ice cream, whipped cream and some fruit or berry topping wasn't bad.
    (There's a few different types of chocolate to use too and some that should probably never be used at all so starting with those sound like a excellent idea! Ha ha.)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Noisiv likes this.
  10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    [​IMG]

Asparagus..ice..cream.

Well this is a new interesting thing.

Also hell froze over, someone stuck a piece of it on a stick and sold it as a popsickle.
    What a unique horrific experience I've found!

EDIT: Yeah it's a beating in the making but this thing in a fake label as mint flavored.

EDIT: Wonder if it beats the soft santa liquid soda thing that must also be a special experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't actually found that anywhere though so I can't say until I can get some personal experience.
    (Well I guess I can say one thing until then. Why!)

EDIT: Wonder if there's something more out there, I'm not a huge vegetable fan much as I've gotten better at it but turning them into some sweet dessert is well it's not for me ha ha.

EDIT:

Like life a dessert is best on a stick.

"Always look on the bright side of life. Doh. Doh. Do. Do. Do."

Yeah as to that particular statement well I doubt that.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Noisiv likes this.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Something called a Morcilla El Maco sausage ended up being today's fun little experiment, best I can find the original is a high quality Spanish blood sausage with a fantastic look and a price tag of oof.

These had a excellent taste though whatever adaption of it this actually was, four out of five out of the simplified scoville scale for hotness which I think goes from 1 to 5 chilli looking spices however so my mouth certainly enjoyed it but other parts of the human body will not have quite so much fun breaking that down. :p

But hey at least during this pandemic situation the recommended 1 - 1.5m distance will be respected so. ~

On that note seeing how Bethesda made a TES (And Fallout!) cookbook wonder if DOOM will get one too eventually.

[​IMG]

Let it rip and make other people tear up...

[​IMG]

(Best image I could find that wasn't a Animal Crossing - popular now! - or Cooking Mama crossover but it'll work.)

EDIT: Yeah mostly just experimenting and having fun, getting better at burgers at least and various desserts but still a lot more to learn and fail at or suffer from various effects much as the food can still be incredibly tasty. :D

Always entertaining to find new ideas and try different stuff, it doesn't always work out as well as it could but eh just keep trying.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Noisiv likes this.
  12. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
  13. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Unfortunately Costco was out of the individual portions of ribeye recently, but luckily they had the slabs available so I've been practicing my butcher skills. So far so good plus I enjoy cutting the steaks a little on the thicker side. 1" to 1.5".

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Ribeye you said? image942.jpg

Alessio1989, JonasBeckman and Brasky like this.
  15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    now that's good looking.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Angus... they practically melted in your mouth marinated for two days. 88F in early May... it's gonna be a hot summer.

Brasky likes this.
  17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    So that's what the real meat looks like, seen angus burgers but the price is comparable to nearly calf which makes it more of a rarer luxury but the taste is excellent although as expected for a store product it's a mix of beef (At least it's not pork. ~) and then part angus cow. (At least it's not the err byproducts that didn't make the standard for proper cuts. ~ )

Wagyu's fine too and probably the best burger variant I've tasted thus far but that makes angus look affordable even for a mix let alone the pure meat whatever that might cost and where you'd even get something like that. :D

Yeah everything is ground / mixed meat ha ha but that's mostly from affordability and there's a lot that can be done with it even if the beef variant is pricey on it's own but the taste differnce certainly makes it worth using every now and again.

EDIT: Think it goes something like this.

Pork, beef, calf, ox, angus, wagyu.

Chicken somewhere between pork and beef and then all the rest such as boar, deer and other wilder variant meats slotting in around the beef to calf range generally.

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Meat, is not something I have a fear of running out of....
    20200421_082911.jpg

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nice. :)
    Hunting costs and other restrictions and regulations has had an effect even if many of the older family members have been hunters too so growing up we ate a lot of wild game although far as meat and better choices and availability goes a big loss here was that the stores handling meat products have all closed now so there's mainly just the bigger convenience stores and super markets left which don't exactly have the best choices for finer or fresh produce of meat though it could have been worse too, import goods has some interesting stuff on occasion too but nothing too fancy.

Far as the specialized stores go the last one was busted about a year and a half ago when they failed to live up to health inspection concerns and standards, not surprising when they were doing halal directly in the shop and dumping the carcasses in a container nearby, heard things about it before that happened but considering the profits from doing these deals I'm mostly surprised about how open they were so that getting closed down was inevitable though it is a big thing around here since there's good money in it.

Well that's a bit of a darker turn there I suppose most of the other shops here offering local meats and fresh cuts and all sorts of nice stuff were good but those closed years ago due to how hard it was to remain in the business especially against the big stores and the cost both for local and ecological meats plus overall expenses increasing over the years.

Think the kilo price for some of these things like steaks are upwards of 50 - 60 dollars or more now after price conversion, even basic mixed type minced meat has gone up a fair bit and I expect the price to continue increasing further although it's not like vegetables are stable either and the price of nuts and such is ... nuts. :p

Anyways for today the food was convenient frozen pizza.
    [​IMG]

Basic but serviceable.
    Isn't much to say about it though it's dough of some kind with "cheese" with some flavoring agent and "ham" of some cheap origin. :p

EDIT: Also for all of these posts while price is a big factor for what I pick and choose some quality isn't bad either. :D

Goes without saying really but there's these packs of "hot dogs" generic sausages that don't really have much of a name or anything to them but they cost around 3$ a pack and the meat percentage is a whooping 28%
    Try and grill these without them melting into what looks like a plastic mess for a real challenge.

Then spend a few dollars more and try to keep around 60 - 70% meat content with less mystery fillet in it ha ha.
    (Makes for a good example, terrible as actual food though definitively not recommended.)

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super