Microsoft unveils the Xbox Series X with new wireless controller

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    The GPU is RX 5700 at best given the price that cannot be more than 600 €. Even if it was RX 5700 XT equivalent, how the heck you run next generation games properly 4K@60FPS? Like everybody likely expected, the checkerboard technique and dynamic resolution will be heavily utilized again. An option to be able to display true stable 4K@30FPS would be appreciated. I'm sure first few games might offer that 4K@60FPS even at native resolution, but soon enough studios release their more demanding games that can't reach it anymore.
    The possibility of 120 FPS is interesting, but it is not as appealing with a controller in hand compared to keyboard plus mouse. If there is a choice to play an FPS game 2K@60FPS compared to 1080p@120FPS, I would choose the former. It is hard to imagine any other genres that would greatly benefit from 120 FPS, but like I said the movement of mouse peripheral certainly changes to more responsive. Small budget games can utilize the fluidity though, like those with 2D graphics or lesser 3D ones.

Fortunately the CPU is a beast this time. I'm expecting an era of CPU heavy games that simulate all kinds of physics, enviroments, maybe even clever AI and vast worlds with dynamic elements throughout. I would guess these games translate quite easily to PCs with the latest 6/8 core chips inside. In general I'd like to see more dynamic simulation of things rather than more detailed graphics and resource heavy graphical effects, since the CPU power can more directly affect the gameplay experience in various ways and you also wouldn't need to upgrade your GPU so soon again :S.

The new controller is also intriguing, but not because of the streaming button, rather the shape and any changes to materials, button placement, sizes and so on. Can already very good get even better? I'm eagerly waiting for comparison between it and the latest One S controller. I might just for funzies get that controller for PC use to replace the One S variant.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Controller so far has been confirmed to be the same except the addition of the share button.

I'm really excited to see what this can do. 4k60 seeing what's under the hood I would say is definitely possible if you look at current generation of hardware on top of console optimization.

Also considering the launch of the new Radeon drivers with Radeon Boost, then a few days after the announcement of the Series X cannot be just a coincidence.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    Nope, the dpad, shape and size are different. Microsoft even said so

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/

vbetts likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    all they've done is added the elite dpad to the non elite controller.

6. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    @GamerNerves XBX already runs games at 4K 30FPS, and a few big games at 4K 60FPS (Gears 5, Forza Motorsport 7), so why an all new console that is at least twice as powerful as XBX wouldn't be able to do 4K 60FPS? You really shouldn't compare console specs to PC specs directly, it doesn't work like that.

7. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    ?

The console is about a year away. They should have bulk discount/special pricing. Said to be next-gen stuff. Also, it is said to have hardware ray tracing. So, no, not 5700/5700xt.

8. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Most of the XBX games run checkerboard 4k/dynamic resolution with medium/high settings. Also since PS4 and XBO, you can pretty much compare the specs to a PC, there isn't that much hardware magic to be had, especially when developers do multiplatform they don't take as much time to optimize. Now with the coming new gen, developers have to make games work on XBOX 1, 1X, PS4, PS4 Pro, 2 new xboxes, ps5, pc, stadia(atleast for the transition period to new consoles), so unless its inhouse development only like some of the PS exclusives, dont coun't on too much of optimization. There isn't money/time for it

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm amazed no-one has said it looks like a PC. Ok, I know the look of it would be normal for our crowd here, but, still.

Great strategy from MS though. Get Xbox users used to the look of a PC, so, when they've grown-up they'll transition to PCs much easier.

GamerNerves likes this.
  10. smashmambo

smashmambo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    What actual real information do we have on the spec of this from Microsoft? Is it all just speculation? I have to say the fact this is fully backwards compatible to the original Xbox makes me very tempted to buy one next christmas.

11. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I think what we can say is that next year's going to be another damn exciting one, with two consoles both leveraging AMD's next gen/console-customised Zen and rDNA options. This will be good for the PC community since both Zen and Navi should be pushed along nicely. If Sony are some months after MS then perhaps that's, in part, a reflection of what extras/refinements they're going to offer.
    Yep, going to be another damn fine tech year.

Keitosha and GamerNerves like this.
  12. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    It doesn't look anything like a pc at all in my opinion. It's just a small ugly black box.

13. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    When you are used to a console that cost from 300 to 600 dollars and let you play cool games for 4 years, why would you ever switch to a pc?
    If it wasn't for MMOs i would have abandoned my PC as a grown up.

Time is less and less to play, a console is way more immediate to me.

I'll buy the playstation next xmas, no xbox for me.
    Too many games on the sony platform to switch, even if this time xbox would be more powerfull at launch.

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    The name Xbox Series X implies there will be 1 or maybe 2 other variations.

airbud7 and Loobyluggs like this.
  15. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Yea and it will be trash as soon as it comes out. Very few games will be 4k native and at 60fps with detail on high. Its pretty much a PC now , oh and don't forget the day one patches just like the PC. The only thing it wont have is cheaters unlike the pc

16. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    The biggest problem is still the games. What exclusives will the have to bring people to their platform? I loved my first two generations of Xbox hardware, but when they announced the XO, I wasn't interested in more Halo Gears and Forza. They never produced any other IPs worth buying the console, so I never have.

How is that going to change this time around? I'm glad they went multiplatform and put their games on PC, but that just gave me further reason not to buy their box...

Meanwhile, I own over 100 games digitally for PS4. I bought it because of Bloodborne, Infamous, God of War, and all the other Sony exclusives. I just bought a Switch for my kids for Christmas so they can play Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart, and eventually Zelda.

Microsoft needs new IP - badly.

jbscotchman and Loobyluggs like this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The GPU is an RDNA2 gpu designed specifically to the xbox formfactor.

Alessio1989 and Mesab67 like this.
  18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The Unreal Engine does not have a problem with that.

You build your game and then hit a button, and shazzam, it is built for whatever the target platform was/is - plus there are plenty of people who would be fired if they did not make a game look good for whichever platform it was aimed at.

People have lost their parking spaces for less...time is never the problem, it's other members of staff ready to drop you off a cliff with the knife used recently for the birthday cake they paid for, in your back; whilst you fall to your death.

More than enough people ready to work in the industry, and those who are in it are more than willing to protect their position by hook, or crook.

It's a nasty, nasty business.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man if that is true that the New xbox is fully backwards compatible with original Xbox games makes me want to purchase it at some point.

Keitosha likes this.
  20. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Since it's running AMD hardware does that mean it will be more optimized for AMD PC users???