AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 19.12.2 driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2019.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    How do i disable the overlay, i cannot find the hotkey setting even, and every time i press ctrl/shift + space i get a bleep bloop and a fps counter its very annoying I don't know why they would do this its very dumb. seems the general hotkeys are missing for me.
    :mad:

otherwise stable driver update.
    edit:
    this is awful, you cant even kill it, its enabled at the driver level ,why would they do this :(

edit2: at least the factory reset fixed it, beware the Radeonsettings is buggy
    edit3:
    It would appear that if you ubind antilag chill ect, but enable it in a game profile, it defaults to Ctrl being the bind, so any crtl press will be considered a toggle, seems to effect the performance overlay aswell.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    mirh likes this.
  2. Jouven

Jouven Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro OC
    Fury user here, issues:
    "press alt + r" spam (even with the overlay disabled), I'll be watching a full screen video in mpv in one monitor and If I have the radeon software window open in other one it will go anal mode "press alt+tab to access the settings"... I don't even
    Integer scaling is not showing up
    Boost is not showing up
    OSD info is still the same as the previous year, which is useless
    OBS does has better streaming options than the "streaming tab"
    The Streaming feature can't capture windowed games without capturing the full desktop, tried and it told me to enable "record desktop", tried borderless region but it still complained about requiring "record desktop"
    Crash bug when having 2 monitors with high refresh rates if the voltage/clock is too low is still present (happened 2 hours after the driver installation)
    To work around the above I use OverdriveNTool, which still works, because the Tuning tab doesn't allow state0 changes (OverdriveNTool does)
    A full web browser inside a driver software program really? (someone research if it's hardware accelerated and if it can crash heh)

They need to add some kind diagram or hint system of the requirements of some specific options/features, like the RIS thing only working on the latest hardware, or the integer scaling only working on DX11+, it's hard to tell which features a user should be able use, right now it feels like some kind of gaslighting

But I like the new radeon software interface

Back to 18.11.2

3. DrDoU

DrDoU Guest

GPU:
    power color rx6800
    back to 19.12.1. this the first time i have had to roll back a driver from amd just to many problems.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah you have to use the task manager and shut down RadeonSoftware.exe and then rename these files.

C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext

amdow.exe
    AMDRSServ.exe

And then just open up RadeonSoftware.exe again though if they were running Radeon Settings Server and Desktop Overlay processes would need to be shut off first and then they shouldn't automatically start running on their own or when opening Radeon Software. :)

It doesn't really need to be running in the background but it might be handy to have access to settings and such though opening it up is much faster now too even without a ton of profiles slowing down the earlier version and greatly increasing memory usage so that's nice to see as a big improvement here.

It's what I've been doing since around Adrenaline 2019 when part of them started just running in the background even without ReLive installed and I didn't need the overlay bits and for Adrenaline 2020 you get the same thing as Steam so disabling the overlay hides it but doesn't actually shut it off so it still runs and you get notifications and such for it.
    (I just minimize issues by not having stuff I don't need running, seems 2020 is a bit more problem prone though so it might actually be useful for a few titles now whatever AMD has changed.)

Unbinding the toggles is also a bit wonky for stuff like Chill and what not so yeah there's that and then the keybindings might even come back to default after a reboot.

OnnA likes this.

5. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Well can't recommend this driver if you use a AMD APU or more specifically the mobile variant, AMD's drivers for the 2500U has always been hit and miss some work great others you will get constant blue screens with thread stuck in driver Windows needs to restart performing crash dump crap.In the last two days i have had to perform a hard reboot of the laptop at least a dozen times this normally occurs when waking or bringing the computer out of hibernation. I can't remember which was the last stable driver i hope it was 19.12.1 i'll find out soon enough.

6. TUMIK

TUMIK Active Member

GPU:
    RX470
    whql again updated, now digital signature 13 december.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  7. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Disabling freesync in game profile doesn't work at least while in game. Have to disable from the global display settings.

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Went from this.
    19.50.02-191204a-349467C

To this.

19.50.02-191204a-349781C

So another repack and what also looks like more additional GPU's supported.

Looks like this got added from the INF file comparison.

5500 XT
    AMD7340.4 = "Radeon RX 5500 XT"
    %AMD7340.4%" = ati2mtag_Navi14DS, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7340&REV_C5

And the existing 5500
    AMD7340.5 = "Radeon RX 5500"
    "%AMD7340.5%" = ati2mtag_Navi14DS, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7340&REV_C7

Still lacking those files though whatever the reason for that is compared to the initial 19.12.2 packaging.

If they're gone they're gone but then shouldn't the INF also have that entry scrubbed?

InstalledDisplayDrivers,

And then a bunch of .dll files ending with , atitmm64 but that's no longer in these drivers.

Oh well, might be nothing after all guess the next main driver release will have to confirm it if these are still removed from that package. :D

EDIT: Hmm wonder if I can compare a earlier driver, maybe some cleanup of no longer used files was done between 19.12.1 and Adrenaline 2020 / 19.12.2 and that's what this is though it's still a bit odd if the first driver had these.

Oh well what do I know, interesting to see both a 5500 and 5500 XT model now. :)

EDIT: Ah it looks like a package error but not what I expected, bunch of files ended up in that folder for 19.12.2 initially compared to way back when plus some older no longer used files so it's fine. :)

Just had to compare against a few earlier drivers and that cleared it up, learned something at least.

Undying and Turanis like this.
  9. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    I'm scared to open radeon settings as it uses 24-26% cpu usage on an 8600k. It sometimes stops when closed but often just sits there eating away at my CPU usage.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    4c/4t cpu, what did you expect. A damn windows explorer is using 20%. :D

On my 12threads its using 2%.

11. Sance

Sance Guest

GPU:
    AMD 480
    I am having issues with this driver .I am only playing heroes of the Storm. But when I have anti leg enabled in AMD settings the image of game would just freeze. Doing alt tab to desktop and going back to game again fixes this for few seconds and it freezes again

12. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Why is R Anti-LAG and R Boost mutually exclusive

13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    @stevvie:
    As Jonas said,rename amdow & AmdServ(ofc End task from Task manager) from C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext,if no one use overlay or relive.

And do not forget do disable other junk from Computer Management>Task Scheduler>Task Sched Library.

@JonasBeckman
    WTF: Now the new driver for WIN 7 is WHQL- 349794 (13 Dec 2019 05:58:28).Thank God I dont yet installed. :)

14. pogodancer

pogodancer Member

GPU:
    Sapp. Pulse 7900XT
    I don't know what is causing a problem with this driver realease ...thinking and thinking ... maybe it's conflicting with the amd chipset drivers? when I install chipset drivers then adrenaline the Relive is working but having instant replay on it's causing the stuttering, input lag ... When I installed adrenaline first then chipset drivers the relive was not working and there was no stuttering ... I even tried AVC or HEVC (nothing changed) got recording in game resolution (1440p) with 100mbit and replay sits in RAM ... gonna try without chipset drivers and probably run out of options to check and roll back to 19.12.1

Edit: nothing works, maybe someone have an idea? Or it's just my price for not having previuos issues with drivers like everyone else :/

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    So far it's been two updates with what I thought was a bit of a file miss instead turning out to be older files from earlier drivers (AMDVerag.dll for one after checking these was last seen included in Catalyst ~2016 somewhere.) which weren't important after tracking earlier driver INF files and comparing what got removed and when or renamed. :)

The first re-release thus was for the OEM 5500's while also seemingly renaming the 5500 XT to 5500 and then the re-release after that one seems to have introduced to where there's both a 5500 and a 5500XT model.

First driver had AMD signatures dated from December 5th I believe it was and Microsoft signatures from December 10th. Second re-release had early time stamps of December 12th and the re-release after that the same date but plus a few more hours.

Hmm might need to do a second check too in case AMD updated them again though it might have been a delayed update of the Windows 7 packaging as well.
    The overlay has it's uses but the current Radeon Software bugs (New name for Radeon Settings / Catalyst Settings / Catalyst Next.) and some issues with how the overlay works and well I keep it off but since it's a frequently mentioned issue with memory consumption for Radeon Software and the CPU usage being a bit on the high side I expect to see it fixed sooner rather than later.

Not sure what's going on though, it's still active but in a hidden mode resource usage should be minimal unless it's constantly reading or writing data such as the usage statistics and whatever else could be doing, recording shouldn't be active either but it could be almost anything so the workaround would be to simply prevent it from loading entirely and just accept that loss of overlay functionality or take the extra resource usage of CPU and RAM which hopefully it's lower but I've seen figures high as 20% mentioned for CPU and RAM consumption nearing 1 GB which sounds too high and then this file renaming and it's suddenly way lower so there's room for improvements.

Turanis likes this.

16. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Checking into this...what do I need to reproduce this as I do indeed turn a lot of stuff off.

17. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    These drivers are amazing. No more blue screens, no more display crashing, i can play games at 1920x1080 (I'm using a 1600x900 monitor/Using the Virtual super resolution thing ), at good frame rates, no problems at all. The best drivers from AMD thus far. I'm buying one of the Radeon Pro WX Cards soon though, i wonder do the workstation drivers have the new GUI?

I only have one issue, but it doesn't seem like its a big deal, but what is this videotrim.exe error that keeps showing up every-time i start the AMD Control panel?

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    On affected systems nothing really, users just install the driver and reboot (Since you can't open Radeon Software without it it'll just prompt that a reboot is required.) once that's done the issue is that Radeon Software.exe (The settings program.) will hover around 8 - 20% CPU usage constantly and either leak memory or see a very high allocated RAM usage upwards of a few hundred MB to at least 1 GB.

Turning on or off the overlay or recording settings doesn't affect this behavior and while I am still trying to learn more on these issues myself the suggested and what seems to be working workaround is to just disable the overlay entirely by way of file renaming.

Here's one post on it.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/e9s7yz/why_is_radeon_software_2020_using_10_cpu/

(Gaming but the settings for recording and the overlay are off though CPU for Radeon Software is still hitting around 10% activity.)

Now the one thing that could be affecting this is third party programs, overlay will do it's thing including also browser hardware acceleration (Alt+R notification in Youtube with media playback using HTML5 for example.) so there's at least a high chance a not fully compatible program using the GPU hardware is affecting this, can range from overlays such as MSI Afterburner or Rivatuner to driver software like MSI Nahimic, Asus Xonar or input like the often reported Corsair iCUE or Razer which has overlay functionality of their own and more.
    (GPU Driver specific profiles for Steam and such I expect to be pretty solid but changes to often updated software like Corsair iCUE might be more flaky.)

However third party program compatibility pretty much usually tends to be a thing so that on it's own doesn't unfortunately tell much.

Also from what I am reading if you want to do a full system crash that's an easy thing to replicate. (Non-recoverable system shutdown via terminal GPU error that just reboots the system, essentially a BSOD.) for this all you need to do is enable AMD VSR, use these resolutions in a game and then try to open the overlay and poof.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ea4ktk/activating_metrics_overlay_while_running_a_game/
    (There's other topics for this too, sounds like a fairly critical issue if it's indeed that volatile.)

19. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Update from an insider. We will see hotfix driver until xmas ...probably next week
    And info about FRTC - it's been ditched :(

mirh, OnnA and JonasBeckman like this.
  20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Enhanced Sync will get a fix too although it could be in a later driver as I don't see it listed above.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/eaeb2l/please_disable_enhanced_sync_if_you_are/

EDIT: Oh there it is third on that list of fixes, good.

EDIT: And the fourth should take out that VSR issue too. Nice list of fixes for Adrenaline 2020 here overall. :)
    (Though I can't imagine posting the entire fix list being good if that's a Vanguard user and not a AMD rep hmm.)