RADEON Adrenalin 2020 - v19.12.2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LocoDiceGR, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Thanks for that I'll try to remember the shortcut in case it happens again! :)

Edit: is it normal that doing that puts an entry in event viewer?

Code:
    Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: 1a8
    P2: 1
    P3: 0
    P4: 0
    P5: 0
    P6: 10_0_18363
    P7: 0_0
    P8: 256_1
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    \\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20191213-1422.dmp
    \\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-190672328-0.sysdata.xml
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7B45.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7B55.tmp.xml
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7B5A.tmp.csv
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7B8A.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_1a8_68ca6dde1f0409d5c576443bca7e03fc33de0cb_00000000_cab_30197a38-5c48-4c9d-9eae-3753235a03bc

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 30197a38-5c48-4c9d-9eae-3753235a03bc
    Report Status: 2049
    Hashed bucket:
    Cab Guid: 0

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah you get the Windows Error Reporter often logging a crash through DWM.exe since it's being forcibly restarted which is also what's bringing back the display sometimes with a secondary log for a kernel event. :)
    Occasionally there might even be multiple kernel events, it's harmless but Windows is logging the various events and it's treated as a crash.

Custom Resolution Utility or CRU for short has a stand-alone exe which does much the same to restart the display adapter and that also results in these but everything will still operate normally.
    Driver bugs in 19.11.x also made it so where just turning on and off the display could cause this to happen which might be how some users resolved the display loss by just turning on and off the monitor again.

Though I am still not sure why this happens in the first place, it's unrelated to overclocking or the GPU hitting some issue when at full load since it's generally a desktop thing when at idle speeds and raising the voltage (Which is retained even if the lowest clock speed state doesn't apply to idle.) also doesn't help so it's not a problem with the GPU being supplied too little voltage either though at those speeds 0.700 should be more than enough since the GPU is almost off hitting around 6 - 30 Mhz when anything registers via monitoring. :)

A small little beep sound and a short flicker as DWM.exe comes back after the graphics stack is restarted and it should be back to regular after that with no negative consequences such as how the GPU could still be a bit unstable until a full reboot if the display driver had fully crashed even if a timeout (TDR) would have caught and successfully recovered the device without needing a hard restart or at worst hitting a BSOD.

EDIT: Well even if the GPU crashes the driver and functionality can sometimes be retained even after a successful recovery but I find a system restart to help with fully regaining stability although Wattman will also default as a safety thing so that needs to be set up again, glad they have a profile system now for making that easier.

What more to say, it's a bit of a inbuilt troubleshooting thing the OS has but it comes in handy as a workaround for this particular issue and I'm really curious why it happens but I've written it up as another driver problem though one that has gotten better but it's not fully fixed yet.

Ah and software using the GPU should also remain stable unlike a actual driver crash where these often lock up or just crash outright too.
    (So no need to restart Steam or the web browser or things like that.)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Grimbarian likes this.
  3. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    This win key combo will also restart GPU driver...you know when it freezes or black screens in a game and you still hear sound and have keyboard control. And most of the time resume your game.

Win+Ctrl+Shift+B

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    JonasBeckman and Grimbarian like this.
  4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    @Astyanax Classic Guru3dians we know everything stance. Since when end users know better than AMD/Nvidia/Microsoft employees their job? Are your skills/knowledge better than those employed there? And I do not talk about customer support or marketing. Just saying, relax. :rolleyes:

On topic, I was sure that something is weird in my system nowadays. E.g. black screen upon game's exit to desktop is fixed just because 19.12.2 driver is WHQL. What kind of sorcery is this? I am thinking time for format is nigh. Anyway, driver truly provides butter smooth-like gaming.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There is no such thing as an employee who knows everything, otherwise drivers would never have bugs, OS upgrades wouldn't delete our documents and platform upgrades wouldn't render a system unbootable just because VTD is turned on in the bios.

But here we are, where Windows 10 Creators and later have a black screen problem (gpu smbus crash) when vt-d and/or corsair icue are active on a x79 system. (unfixed)
    5700xt's bsod when decoding videos (unfixed)
    <random gsync supported nvidia card> fails to disengage gsync properly leading to the desktop to only update as you move the mouse. (fixed)

They are better than yours, so mull over that.

Unwinder knows better than anyone that IO access can introduce issues for some systems / drivers therefore he includes options to turn them off.

AMD is not immune to it
    Nvidia dumped support for their System tools suite because it wasn't safe to use with the mix of software in use now either (more or less why nvapi sensor api happened)

This radeon settings overhaul didn't even get adequately tested with games being played now. So to actually answer your question, damn right i could do better than AMD's QA.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Never saw this one before.

[​IMG]

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That's the Windows Defender issue with the Radeon ReLive overlay I believe.
    Could be related to this.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/e9ohj8/psa_windows_10_core_isolation_memory_integrity/

EDIT: I just rename the overlay files since I don't use them but yeah it's one of those things that need to be fixed.

EDIT: I suppose Astyanax basically nails it down pretty well with that last sentence, overall the amount of features and changes just needed more testing.

I expect we'll see fixes hopefully from 19.12.3 first and then 20.1.1 but even with Vanguard there's still a lot of issues introduced with this new driver and it's going to need a bit of time to get it resolved.

Well it's probably too optimistic but a beta driver within two weeks fixing up the major reported occurring critical issues and regressions at least and then starting on fixing up the rest.
    (The big feature driver is out and work can go back to usual driver updates and fixing with the occasional game support driver but we'll see what the next driver does when it comes out I suppose.)

EDIT: CFG ? Control Flow Guard perhaps that's what is blocking it above.
    New things are added in new builds and it's kinda difficult to keep track of it all. :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  8. i_am_ugf

i_am_ugf Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Whenever i start a game , i hear a beeping sound for 2-3 seconds like something is activated from radeon settings . This wasnt happening with previous drivers . Does anyone have any idea how to turn this off? Thank you in advance

9. HeavySmok

HeavySmok Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 570 4GB
    It's because radeon anti-lag or radeon chill is enabled. Press Alt+R when you play the game and disable it. Next time you will launch the game you will not hear it. But first read what those two setting do because maybe you wanna use them.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I had the same thing, and this is with RX 470... definitely not perfect drivers.

i_am_ugf likes this.

11. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    DDU status update:
    Almost done, i'm testing a good candidate. If all good, i'm signing this puppy and release it.
    stay tunes.

@mtrai You were right, the key was not removed because the driver was not correctly removed due to some recent changes. Technically DDU does not remove the key directly. Windows SetupAPI function will but with the recent changes it wasn't removed completely. Thanks again for telling us.

Edit: Released.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  12. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I meant to send you a message on your website but been very busy this last month. I knew it was a windows issue but did not have any time to really check out the cause since the AMD clean install behaved the exact same way. At the time it was just easier for me to manually delete key(s) then to try and track it down.

Wagnard likes this.
  13. morrk

morrk Member

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800XT
    Seeing all these complaints about this driver is barmy, it's given my Vega a new lease of life.
    Been 100% stable for the last week. Before this release was having issues hourly.

Passus, warlord, OnnA and 1 other person like this.
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    For me it is one of the best drivers to date :)
    Stable, rich in features (even if i don't need half of'em ;) )
    Performance is similar to other fast drivers 19.11.x

NP when gaming -> so im happy.

Passus and warlord like this.
  15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Driver is extremely stable, or at least better than any pre-2020 suite for my PC. And I play lots of games not 1-2 seasonal trending ones like most of those complaining here and there. I am sure AMD feels the same way like me. Minority cannot stamp driver as nonfunctional as a whole.

OnnA likes this.

16. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    For me has been 100% stable since day 1, only one problem. I added Darksiders Genesis .exe and turn on sharpening, but its not applying (working fine in other games detected by driver). Maybe i need to restart for it to work out?

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Try turning sharpening on globaly.

warlord likes this.