RADEON Adrenalin 2020 - v19.12.2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LocoDiceGR, Dec 10, 2019.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is it possible to disable performance metrics?

I can see that I can increase the sample time rate to 5 seconds but can it be disabled?

2. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Some things are a part of driver's software they are not hurting you at all. IF they had any impact, they would give an option for on/off. We should not dig in the whole suite wearing our tin foil hat.

Grimbarian likes this.
  3. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Ok, I am having a problem that maybe someone can help me resolve. On my Vega 56 / R7 1700 / Asrock B350 mITX Fatality System, everything is good. Also, on my RX5700 / R5 2600 / B450 mITX system, everything is good there as well. However, on my Asus Vega 64 Strix / R5 1600 / Asrock Taichi X370 system, this is the problem: It detects the video card again and again, like when I login or when I run 3D Mark 11. (It detects it like the driver is being installed although it already is.)

Any ideas? Thanks. Oh, and if I use 19.2.1 or earlier, I do not have that issue. (I could have sworn I have seen this issue in the far past but I do not remember for sure.) I run Corsair iQue on all 3 computers, as well.

4. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    In such odd situation first thing i would do is to use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and i recommend to use this tool only in critical and weird situations like this one. DDU shouldn't be replacement for available uninstaller. Also worth to scan OS with malwarebytes antimalware, just in case.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    These drivers are horrible, I'm going back to 19.11.3

6. paulco

paulco Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX6900XT
    So far ok for me (with limited use of the perif. functions/options as yet), thought an "ancient" would at least itemize some of their issues for others to possibly offer suggestion/confirm issues ?

7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    This is the most stable and best driver for '2019'

If anyone has complaints DDU your PC or format and install the updated 12/Dec/19 package. There is nothing better in older drivers.

Fuchigrafika, morrk and Grimbarian like this.
  8. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    Just got back to AMD yesterday from years of running nVidia. (Last AMD card I had was R9 290X).
    I was so looking forward to upgrade to RX 5700 XT (MSI RX5700XT MECH OC) from my old GTX 1060 3GB.

The first game I tested was RDR2 and it ran smooth as butter with freesync. Unfortunatly, all my other games did not..
    I have no clue if this is driver related, but I would think so as the problems I encounter is microstutter, 1-2 sec freezing and downclocking/low gpu usage.
    Running all my games on 1440p 75Hz freesync. I have only tried on RADEON Adrenalin 2020 - v19.12.2

Some examples of my games:
    Destiny 2 - Stuttering and 1-2sec freezing in menus and when in action. Also very variable framerate despite average GPU usage.
    Rocket Leage - Stuttering and 1-2sec freezing.
    Ghost Recon Breakpoint - Unplayable. Constant 30-40 fps regardless of graphic settings..
    COD MW - Microstutter, 1-5 sec freezing at random.

None of these problems where present running my old card. Also I completely uninstalled all nVidia related drivers and software before exchanging cards.

AMD Settings:
    Tested with different options, but only one I have active now is Image Sharpening.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers!

9. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    They appear in gameplay also occasionally, not very visible as it’s not screen filling and blends in with other colors for the most part so it’s not affecting gameplay much, player performance wise. Still somewhat annoying although I have a feeling this is more of an Infinity Ward issue rather than a driver issue.

10. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Just lost video signal and monitor went black whilst doing general surfing stuff, no overclock and obviously surfing = negligible GPU usage, only option was to press the power button and have the PC shut down, turned back on ok, very odd, nothing showing in event viewer.

11. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    sathyrion : Did you also used DDU for removing all NVIDIA driver traces?

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Um... far from correct

They often don't.

One should not dismiss valid critique or questions as tin foil hattery, thats reserved for people who need to have all telemetry off.

nvm, its just warlord talking out his.......

Alessio1989 likes this.
  13. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    Hi. I will try DDU tonight along with maybe trying to up the power limit (If it doesnt make my card to hot by doing so...).

14. Paul L

Paul L Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    These drivers seemed ok at first but now I'm of the mind that they are a bit flaky.. not a fan of the new overlay..
    It'd be best if we had the choice to disable it & all onscreen notifications + sounds... not sure I want those code hooks.

I had my first crash with the 5700xt in War Thunder, I Alt-Tab'd to the desktop soon after loading into WT's Tank yard... so far soo surprised. I think AMD need to address this fast as it seems all to do with changing powerstates/ VGA modes which us power users do a lot (makes me wonder if there's too much console DNA in Navi.. ie- Basicaly it doesn't like switching context too much)

15. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I forgot to mention that I did use DDU already and it did not help. :( (Yes, I disabled all network connections as well. :) ) As for an infection, I might be inclined to think that as well if it occurred even before this driver. I wonder it if is an HDMI bug, since my other two machines are using display port.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Just a thing that happens occasionally with the Navi GPU models though it's also one of those issues that don't affect everyone, Windows Key, Ctrl, Shift and B I think it is will restart the graphics stack and should return video signal if the two other methods don't. (Remove and re-add the display cable or just turn on and off the monitor.)

If you're doing video watching with HW acceleration enabled you might want to test disabling that as well, it's not entirely resolved though it is greatly improved.

One of these is that the display just lost signal and this can be recovered from, will register as a DWM.exe crash and a small kernel error in WER but is otherwise harmless, shouldn't even reset Wattman like a general TDR or GPU driver crash would.
    Other one is a complete shut down of the GPU and no recovery is possible and a restart is needed, mainly affects gaming though and D3D11 is the only API I've had problems with for this and only a few games. (Wrapping to Vulkan via DXVK works around the issue, bit of a hassle but it worked.)

EDIT: It's a software issue as well and not some hardware flaw so some drivers are better and others hit this problem sporadically and with others it can almost be a daily thing.
    (And this 19.12.2 driver has fixed a few things but more work remains both for Navi and others whose known issues are still there though now unlisted for whatever reason.)

EDIT: And this "Just a thing." is one of the big reasons I like the hardware but can't really recommend the GPU what so ever even now half a year after the 5700 / Navi was released there's still too many unknown potential software and driver issues that just aren't good and users shouldn't have to find workarounds or accept problems so yeah the driver side really needs work. :)

Multi monitor.
    Media.
    OpenCL.
    GPU performance / behavior. (Various plus various more with Wattman.)

And probably others, improvements have been made but several issues are still a thing or only partially resolved.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    You may also want to delete your DX Shader cache and have it rebuild

18. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    Thanks. Where do I find those cache files?

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    disk cleanup

20. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    Thanks! :) Actually didn't know about that.. Using windows since Win 1.0 ^^