Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I don't have stuttering on DX12 or Vulkan but Vulkan is definitely lower min FPS for me. The heaviest hitting scenes seem to be with lots of trees (tessellation) and rain/water.

2. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    After days of tweaking, I've finally made my own Reshade to complement the realistic, western style. What do you guys think?

Vanilla:

[​IMG]

My reshade:
    [​IMG]

Vanilla:
    [​IMG]

My reshade:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Way too much sharpening to my liking.

Solfaur likes this.
  4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Looks nice. How did you make your own reshade, and what kind of performance impact?

5. Yup, way too oversharpened and noisy.

6. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I've done the same just with Alt+F2 and add 'sharpen' as an Nvidia effect.

7. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    I agree there's a lot of sharpening going on. I've got both HighpassSharp and Lumasharpen on -- it does look a lot better in motion but I suppose I could also dial it back a tad to reduce noise. I do like how it accentuates the distant scenery such as mountains, though. :)

Thank you. I downloaded the Reshade files from Reshade.me and then I edited a Reshade.ini file. There's also the option to edit them from the in-game overlay to see the effect changes realtime. My config has anywhere between 2-10 FPS hit which is definitely on the big side seeing how demanding this game already is at 4K with settings nearly maxed.

jbscotchman likes this.
  8. That's because there's also a slight DOF in distance, which is practically eliminated by your sharpening :)

The best version I've seen so far was vanilla with RIS posted here a while back.

9. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    That's fair. I feel vanilla is a bit too blurry, especially with the applied DoF in the distance that you mention. I find that the image is smudged whenever I take off my filter. I'm interested in seeing the version you refer to though.

10. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    I tend to like a lot of sharpening, even have the Nvidia control panel sharpening at its highest and I like it in the game. So I'm fine with those screenshots. It gives a clearer far view distance and overall clearer image imo. I'm also into saturated colors more than most so I guess I'm kind of a shallow unrefined player.) Just teasing about the shallow unrefined. I seriously do like more sharpening and saturation than most in the various gaming sites.

Edit: as long as higher sharpening doesn't make the landscape lose too much contrast or make it look too sterile or wooden. Then I'd have to turn it down.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019

11. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    A gentleman after my own tastes

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Unfortunately reshade makes bf5 feel wooden in the background....i dont know how to use sharpening and keep things good in the landscape...if anyone can advise thx

13. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Well Online would be a hell lot more fun if im actually able to communicate with people,this is the killer for me and im back to GTA online again where i can actually interact and talk with people.It's a massive issue for me personally,i cant always play with a mic. So in games like GTA online i rely on text chat alot to communicate,which is fast to use even when driving,even when im using a controller with a keyboard next to me. That's a thing i cant do in RDR2. I have no way to communicate with several people at the same time.

No way to greet anyone no way to say anything while doing missions no way to randomly ask someone i come across to go hunting or w/e. I joined a posse and im just hopping behind them like a mute because i have no way to say or ask anything.

Its like playing with Npc's because i never hear anyone on mic neither and the only way i know off to communicate with One person at a time is to open your menu,go to players,go to profile,press message,enter message,send message...There needs to be a faster way and able to talk with several people at a time.

I really tried to like online but it feels like a solo mode at this point and not a very good one at that,i'd rather play single player. Because the missions ive done so far are all very lackluster and i already completed the online story mode missions which were a complete joke.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  14. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Sky have some noticeable banding, otherwise it looks good :)

15. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Try playing with AdaptiveSharpen, SmartSharpen and CAS -- all in Reshade's repositories or on the forums -- you'll get better results. AdaptiveSharpen can be quite demanding, but it's also very good (possibly the best).

You can also try FilmicSharpen and FilmicAnamorphicSharpen, these utilise the depth buffer to reduce or increase sharpening the further away from the camera. This allows you for eg to preserve the intent of DOF on distant objects while sharpening closer objects. If not already in the main repository, you can find these in the Reshade forums.

A light Deband shader fixes this nicely usually :)

16. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Thanks for taking the time to find it. I can see why you like it but it's too soft/blurry for my liking, especially around trees and the details on the player character.

Thanks for the tips! I'll fiddle around with AdaptiveSharpen in place of maybe Highpasssharpen.

17. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    I reached Chapter 4 now and i read a huge spoiler in the steam forums (title) because some asshole's only task is to spoiler games on Steam...his whole profile is full of comments....also that he's reported all the time but i guess Steam dont care to blacklist him from any discussions on Steam.
    Sorry, but someone with this intent is a sick frack imho...leech over this!?

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I just wanna say that I unplugged my xbox 360 windows controller, as apparently that was a suggestion for launch crash issues. Well, I played about 4-5 hours since then (one 3 hours sitting) and didn't have any crash anymore. Same settings Vulkan... so I don't know if this was just plain luck, but if the crashing is actually related to something like this, then all I can say is LULZ...

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    fwiw I have had no controllers other than my G.skill keyboard and Logitech mouse plugged in and suffered quite a lot of crashes at game start up.
    Not doubting your experience, just adding mine to the pool.
    It might somehow not like the software used for both my peripherals, but I cant be asked to sort that because I need them both to work well.

Solfaur likes this.