Television Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by stereoman, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Hah I know right - there are literally so many story arcs going on at once in that show right now lmao

But yes! I did see the first episode of "His Dark Materials". Admittedly I went into it expecting HBO to under-perform due to Game of Thrones withdrawal/relapse. I felt "oh crap here we go another fantasy possible clone..." nope I was so wrong. It was a splendid first episode I enjoyed James McAvoy in his role as Asriel (well cast) and to my pleasant surprise - from Logan, Dafne Keen! as Lyra; She's doing great. The show has character actors I've recognized from other HBO properties which is always nice (great actors) it's high production value - spares no expense. Everything from costume design to set decoration to the cinematography is top notch! I've only seen the pilot episode so far; but I can only expect great things to come from what will likely be a great show.

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Looks like its one series per book, I only ever got 1.5 books in but, and stretching my memory, but its not super kid friendly all the time (main character from second book severs two fingers from rope constriction). The series seems to capture the proper atmosphere of it.

They cut back on daemons for NPCs for cost reason but its already far better than the golden compass, which afair deleted all daemons.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  3. Golden Compass made it hard to recognize the source material imo. I agree the HBO adaptation's atmosphere is "darker" it's done well. *shrugs* who knows Philip Pullman may have been a consultant for the show.

4. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Just watched the Mandalorian episode 2. The camera quality in this is superb. Why the hell are the episodes only 30-31 min though? It's crazy how fast they finish because I enjoy them so much.

5. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Angry Joe's reviews of the Mandalorian episodes are longer than the episodes themselves:p

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  6. It was the longest amount of time the folks at Disney would hold their breath ... ;)

7. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I stopped watching TV 15 years ago. Never missed it. Last series i've watched was GoT, but now it's Jack Ryan on Amazon prime every once in a while.

8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    And we have release date for season 5 of BCS.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I haven't watched actual TV in years, the last shows I did watch were Gotham, Lucifer, and reruns of Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory. Sleepy Hollow was really good too, but now days I can get all the entertainment I need from youtube.

10. Still watching this - I'm in season... mm 3 or 4 I think; best show I never saw ever!

jbscotchman likes this.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Started watching the first season of A&E's Gangland Undercover since they started posting full episodes on youtube. Based on a true story about a guy who went deep undercover in the Vagos motorcycle club. Really good acting and marvelous production value. ;)

airbud7 likes this.
  12. Gotta check that out... sounds right up my alley! Currently doin a rerun of The Wire on Amazon Prime; I never watched all of them & always meant to get around to it... like you said - good acting and production value...

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Watched True Detective third season.
    Binge watching it, got me hooked.
    Man, what a great show.
    I enjoyed it.

14. Yess ... Very good, might just be me but can be a slow-burn of a show; each season has it's different flair... third is very good & Mahershala Ali is top-notch' his work has always been good; very much looking forward to him as our new Blade.

airbud7 likes this.
  15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What, new Blade...oh man this is glorious news!

16. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Hype slowly building

17. I had a really hard time ... ehhh enjoying "The Boys" I think Karl Urban sold it for me but beyond that there wasn't much there... like I don't know... did I miss what they were trying to do? I felt like one of those people staring at a banana duct taped to a wall reacting like "yeah I'd eat it too - that's not art"

18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Just finished season 2 of Gangland Undercover wrapping up the series being only 14 episodes total. Damn what a crazy story it was, better than any fictional show because everything actually happened. The guy that plays the boss of the Virginia Outlaws club was one of the coolest villains ever. This was a show you can binge watch very quickly since you keep wanting to see what's gonna happen next.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Still need to watch S1, is it really good?

Netflix:
    Watched Daybreak, found it well done but the story itself is Stranger Things / Zombieland mash up, not too bad.
    Also, more anime, Levius I found pretty good, I really love the animation style. Kengan Ashure S2 also was a must for me, liked it.

20. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Me and the missus absolutely loved it and reason being that its basically the whole superhero thing flipped upside down. You might watch an Avengers film for example or almost any Marvel film and like it but when you start scratching the surface you pretty quickly realise that the modern superhero films are quite shallow. All they tend to be is roller coaster rides with a super glossy finish. The Boys on the other hand is very gritty and cynical, the superheroes in The Boys are absolute tossers the second they are off the spotlight, some of them are even pretty serious creeps. The leader of the superheroes, Homelander is a real a**hole and the guy playing him does an outstanding job playing the character. Hell, the entire casting is brilliant but Karl Urban is definitely a legend in it.

I don't wanna give too much away but if you're tired of the tropes of modern superhero films or tv series and you might be generally fed up watching things that are "safe", then The Boys is well worth a watch.