Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    For me, at 1440p AA wise, the best performance impact/image quality ratio is with TAA Medium, FXAA On, MSAA Off, and TAA Sharpening in the middle. It looks good (to me at least) and the performance impact is small.

I'm still in the process of tweaking though, I'm at the point where I test whatever setting I can squeeze in to maintain the benchmark average above 70 FPS. I started at ~77 and noticed that in-game there are instances where it goes in 80s-100s (lowest was mid 50s). It's one of those scenarios where I can't decide if I want more frames or better image quality, but also taking into consideration that some of the very demanding settings don't actually offer a proportionally better image quality to warrant the huge performance hit.

I still am inclined towards higher FPS, but not crazy high, if I can keep it at ~65-70 average with minimums in low 50s, I think I'm good.

TL'DR, it has been a while since I've done so much tweaking with graphics settings in a game. On one hand it annoys me, but on the other it's kind of fun too... :rolleyes:

2. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    FXAA with TAA? That's just blurring the blur.. TAA medium is all you need.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah for some reason it looked better to me at one point. I tried with FXAA off now and I agree, the picture is clearer. I also turned Motion Blur off.

4. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    I just have to say I went from an AOC 1080p TN display to the 1440p Asus PG279Q IPS display.

And the game looks even better!

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    ofc its gonna look better, btw 1080p and 2k....!!!!!

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah, use whatever works best. For me Dx12 has always been smoother except for one patch where it kept crashing. For other people Vulkan has been better. There seems be no real coherence on what will work best with what hardware, you'll just have to try.

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    For what it's worth, I play on Vulkan and had like 5 crashes in 15 hours played. Made me save game more often, but yeah, if it happens during missions, I can imagine it sucks. For me it luckily only happened when I was freeroaming.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  8. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Vulkan better perf but no crashes with dx12, so i eventually switched to dx12. :(

angelgraves13 likes this.
  9. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I'm at 58hrs of play and the game has never once crashed on me, and that's with Lennys Simple Trainer and unlocked camera mod loaded also w/ maxed settings. I have 5 legendary animal kills (even the Grizzly) and 10 Legendary fish.. Vulkan always..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    jbscotchman likes this.
  10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I have not had a single crash either. I haven't kept track but out of close to 80 hours played, about 10 hours were on a Nvidia system and the rest on a AMD system. No crashes on either, using Vulkan on both.

jbscotchman likes this.

11. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I've noticed the game can be sensitive to CPU overclocks. My CPU OC was stable on everything I tested but when I had problems with RDR2 I noticed it went away when I relaxed my clocks a bit.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've played the game for 113 hours and only had one in-game crash, inconveniently right at the end of a mission I'd completed and right before the autosave (meaning I had to redo it from the start), but I did have issues resuming save games due to a corrupted shader cache file. I didn't realise that at the time though and thought it was the save game/cloud saves that were corrupted. Not sure what caused the shader cache corruption but it could be a result of playing for long periods of time? Or maybe not...?

Considering how much enjoyment I've had out of this game though, it's hard to grumble at the few issues I've had and I was one of the lucky few that was able to play the game at launch without any issues.

Grimbarian and jbscotchman like this.
  13. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Rewording your statement. It's sensitive to unstable overclocks. Real world use is the best true form of testing an overclock. Just because it passes 900hrs of synthetic testing doesn't mean it is real world stable.

I have a i9 9900k at 5GHz on all cores w/ 1.31v. A 2080 Ti XC Ultra +120 and +500.

Again. Never a crash after 58hrs. Last night alone I played for 6 uninterrupted hours with no issues

14. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    I can say, my most crashes were when pressing M for the Map, mostly when i pressed it again to close it. This happend after the 10th time or so i used it in my current game. Also, when i hard hit another horse with mine and i would have fallen off (collision), crash. But also not always.

My CPU issnt oc, i only lowered the vcore for the stock speed. I only have some minor gpu oc - i could try to disable it but im happy with dx12 now. Dx12 vs. vulkan is only 3fps worse avg.

DX12 never gave me a crash since i enabled it a week ago. And i had RDO and SP sessions beyond 6hrs. :p

I had more problems with Jedi Fallen and oc.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    styckx likes this.
  15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My only crashes have been very soon after clicking the icon to play.
    Probably 25% chance of a crash and occasionally happens twice in a row.
    Its otherwise stable, running Vulkan on Windows 7 with a 1080ti.

DX12 works on Windows 7 but stutters a lot so didnt go further with it.
    It appears not to be using DX11 because Afterburner doesnt register the framerate (oldish version) so looks to be a ported version of DX12.

16. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    I did say. It either works or it doesn't, There is no pattern or one thing that seems to break it.

Either it works and plays perfect or its crashing and buggy. I've not found any certain thing to be what causes crashes.

ShadowDuke likes this.
  17. Forceflow

Forceflow Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    I've started playing (instead of benchmarking/crashtesting :p) now and I'm really enjoying this gem. Still on chapter 2. The writing and characters are so excellent - even if some missions basicly boil down to "go somewhere / threaten-kill someone", it's always interesting because of the interactions between the protagonist and secondary characters. I love the little random encounters as well, makes travelling interesting (though I did unlock the fast travel map - that trek from camp to Valentine was getting boring.)

I'm running it on an RTX 2070 Super, i7 6700k, Vulkan. Streaming it using Nvidia GameStream to a Moonlight client on my Steam link, which is the only way I can reliably play it on my couch. Loving it.

I hope I don't encounter any game breaking bugs or crashes, getting really invested in it :) And I hope the remaining issues get cleared ip soon, would be a shame for people to miss this.

eGGroLLiO and jbscotchman like this.
  18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Tried DX12 on the same settings, and although it didn't crash, I played very little with it on, since the performance was all over the place. Not only did it go 6-7 FPS down on the average from the benchmark, but it the actual game 50 FPS with DX12 don't feel like 50FPS with Vulkan, however weird that might sound. Vulkan has some level of smoothness that just isn't there in DX12 and it's very noticeable.

As for the Vulkan crashed, I can't seem to find a pattern as to why they occur, one thing is sure though, my system is on stock, other than my GPU. I went ahead and disabled the OC on the 1080Ti, yet it would still crash at some point...

Anyway, I made a habit of saving often and I actually prefer the random crashes to the shitty stuttery experience DX12 offers.

19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    See this is what I'm talking about. For me Vulkan plays the way Solfaur describes Dx12. Pretty weird.

Solfaur likes this.
  20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Crazy, there must be some very hardware specific triggers for these things. I'm on a 3900X/X570 Aorus Master, maybe if I was on Intel, it would be different. No idea.