SanDisk SSD Plus Goes 2 TB on SATA3

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sandisk (owned by WD these days), added a new SKU to their lineup, a 2TB model of the SanDisk SSD Plus. This new model  was not officially announced, but already appeared at a number of retailers....

SanDisk SSD Plus Goes 2 TB on SATA3

rl66 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Great !
    Now it needs to drop to 150 euro or less.

At that 240 eur price it's even more expensive than some 2TB NVMe drives
    ... what a joke !

jura11, Keitosha, Venix and 1 other person like this.
  3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Good to see more 2tb drives but on 12 cents a gb is highly priced to fit anywhere really.

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On the website it is written:
    - R. : 535 W. : 450 for the Plus
    - R. : 560 W. : 530 for the Ultra
    The ultra is 30 Euro cheaper in store for the 2To while on other capacity it is more expensive (Plus is lower line and Ultra is upper line for SanDisk) ???

BTW there is also the 4 To but this time only in Ultra

5. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    That's misinformation mate. My Samsung 960 NVMe has been running absolutely fine for the last 3 years and is way faster than any SATA 3 SSD. I also have two Intel 760p NVMe SSD's running perfectly in RAID 0 using VROC in my other machine. They've worked seamlessly in that config for 2 years and again, are way faster than any SATA 3 SSD.

As for NVMe throttling, it hasn't happened for me because i keep my PC case well ventilated.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    0blivious likes this.
  6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    My first ever SSD was a Sandisk X400 1TB. Bought it nearly 3 years ago to put into my i7980. I have since repurposed as a "portable" game drive in a USB 3.1 enclosure and it only lost a small amount of speed in the sequential write. I'd buy one of these when the price comes down.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Sandisk 2TB = 307£
    Crucial 2TB = 224£

That is a big enough difference for me to ask "Is it worth the extra money?" And, I think the answer is going to be "no".

8. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Also very reliable and fast. Worth the money IMO.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    In the case of the MX500 from Crucial, is it 27% better and more reliable?

I would doubt that, if that were the statement.

-

£100 per TB is now the norm, this exceeds that number and does not appear to offer anything over and above to necessitate a 25-35% increase in price.

Not saying they are bad, because I do not believe that, but, that is quite an increase in the dollarific department to raise an eyebrow or two.

Western Digital, top company, and I still have an ageing 2TB HDD from them, and would no issues getting another drive from them in the future...but SSD's, they are soooo fast that you gotta bring out big guns and have plenty of ammo to beat the price demands from other competitors, and, I've been using RAID-0 with Crucial for my OS drive, and have an MX-500 in my PS4 Pr0, both doing very well in deed.

Sandisk...what is the point in that extra cash? Where is the benefit?

10. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well, Amazon UK has patriot p200 2tb for just 165£, so this sandisk is crap offer

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-...andisk-ultra-3d-sata-iii-ssd#SDSSDH3-2T00-G25

OFFICIAL SHOP/STORE

https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/ct2000mx500ssd1

OFFICIAL SHOP/STORE

I don't use Amazon, I just go straight to the official store every-time. I might pay more (not that I would ever know) BUT I am a very firm believer that the official store is the best place, as, Amazon does not need to exist.

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Who the bloody hell buys from the "official shop" ???

I never heard anyone in my circle ever ordering something from the "official", unless that is the ONLY location where a product exists.
    And that "official" price is always (much) bigger than what retailers offer.

One needs to be seriously deranged in their mind to pay 300 pounds for something that can be had otherwise for 40% less.
    But hey, it's not my money. Waste it to your heart's desire.

The psychiatry ward has some comfortable padded space available, for free !

0blivious likes this.
  13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I buy from official because I am buying a product from a manufacturer, not some retailer who is lower down the food chain.

Retailers just, frankly speaking, do not need to exist in 2019/20 - they do not make the products, that is my point.

The day I cannot buy something from another location because of the ineptitude of the manufacturer - then I use a retailer.

14. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Problem is, when I bought from corsair, postage was from Taiwan, and 1 week+ was in way after 2 days from order....Amazon sends it in 2 days, 2 days after I have item. And price was the same as from Amazon...

jura11 and 0blivious like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Never took you for economic ignorance, but here we are.....

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Please...

17. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'm buying stuff where it's the cheapest, has the best/easiest return policies and all things being equal, from where it comes the quickest. Samsung, Sandisk, amazon (etc)... ...none of these companies are your friends. We are their consumers, nothing more.

As to this drive, I'm done buying expensive, premium 2.5" SSDs when the average NVME drives annihilate them in nearly every metric and for less money. Bought 3 so far and I'm not looking back. :p

Loobyluggs, wavetrex and jura11 like this.
  18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's a funny thing, as Hilbert has covered NAS/SAN for review and the configuration of these is really what stands out nowadays.

Computers started off using Mainframes, now we can get massive speed on a SAN/NAS running at home for peanuts, and trim down our desktops to miniscule levels, so we are going back to a mainframe design, kinda.

Best SAN/NAS configuration for speed and low cost is a really interesting topic now, with S3SSD going for £100 per TB, you can build a storage system using SSD/HDD/SHD in a myriad of RAID and Virtualisation setups, it's all very cool.