Navi RDNA Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Won't that push it too far considering the card is the reference model with a single fan?

2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Definitely not worth it, especially for the reference model.
    Just get MorePowerTool and lower TDC Limit SoC (A) from 14 to 11 or 10 (some cards are not stable on 10 or below), to get lower temps on nearly everything on the card.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It would work and around 10% free performance. Just keep your temperatures under control.

4. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Perfect thanks, never heard of that, the kind of thing I was hoping to learn about with my post!

I'll bear that in mind but as it'd void the warranty not sure I want to go there yet if only for 10% ;) Thanks for the reply :)

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    So that's probably part of why so many of the non-reference bios models have a SOC of not 1.2 same as the GPU core voltage but 1.050 then apparently without any drawbacks but going lower might not be 100% stable, interesting. :)
    Didn't expect the other bits to contribute that much to overall temps either but perhaps they do it is a significant reduction over the stock value after all.

EDIT: Would avoid flashing the stock model as well if it doesn't feature a bios switch so you always have backups of both and one good bios for reverting a bad flash from without requiring a secondary GPU or similar to undo it if anything goes wrong.
    (Well more unstable than outright bad unless a incompatible utility was used for flashing as the bios files are a bit larger compared to earlier GPU model and probably more beyond just the file size itself.)

Grimbarian likes this.
  6. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Depends on the user? :confused: The question should be, does AMD know what they are doing with NAVI drivers?

Passus and OnnA like this.
  7. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    No comment...take that for what it is worth. Certain people will understand. That is as far as I can go at this time.

8. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    You are safe to flash the reference gpu...from 5700 to 5700xt as neither is at the max VRM rating for power draw. After that use either More power tool to adjust things or elovps tool but you have to use windows safe mode to run his..

Also keep in mind you most likely have micron vram which overclocks better then then samsung used in the 5700xt. With that said most micron will hit hit 950 (1900) with ease. And one last thing is both the 5700 5700 xt are both power starved if you are looking for performance. Undervolting is all good and well but when wanting performance it needs power.

Anyhow here are my settings with morepower tool

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm interesting to see pushing the GPU above the limits as a potential means for getting above the 2100 Mhz threshold, would be fun to try when I can build up the new system since the current one is somewhat CPU and RAM throttled even if the upgrade (Minimum FPS particularly.) is a clear improvement over the Vega more than I was expecting it to be. :)

~1900Mhz and pushing the power limit to +10 makes a slight improvement but above that to the default of +50 does nothing but draw more power for the card, -10 though sees a immediate cut in clocks though that persists when lowering max clocks so that's something too but overall undervolting was a clear gain with no loss in the clock speed behavior and a nice drop in temps and power consumption though it's mostly just for the temps and having a slightly lower fan profile to silence the card slightly more.
    (GPU gets really effective at even lower speeds and even then it doesn't drop much in terms of performance which was also interesting but this way I get the most out of the current situation with just the benefits until I can re-try it with newer hardware.)

EDIT: Though around 2000 is where the card is kinda at a good average though benchmarks I suppose can draw a bit more out of it, otherwise up or down it's plus or minus 4 percent or so for performance weighted against temps and power draw plus the GPU core voltage if undervolting.
    (But with modding the GPU might no longer peak at 2050 - 2100 allowing some more gains still.)

Depending on card and such since all will vary slightly and if memory clocks can push a bit higher this will also be a advantage and scale at least a bit better with higher core clock speeds.

EDIT: Benchmarks are good though long as it's not something like Furmark as you get optimized drivers and software showing the GPU's strengths in full compared to a random game with various limitations and differing results.
    (If the hardware could operate at peak efficiency that'd be a difference too for gaming but there's usually some limitations and hindrances.)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I'm thinking custom cooling my reference 5700xt any suggestions? Cause I could totally do a waterblock

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  12. pogodancer

pogodancer Member

GPU:
    Sapp. Pulse 7900XT
    My quick check on RX 5700xt and 19.12.1 drivers: i think there is more fixes than listed in changelog.
    The Division 2 DX 12 is working smooth, no stuttering, game is working fullscreen and close like expected not into black screen.
    Squad: no stuttering in 1440p (earlier it was regardless the settings low or ultra) on ultra settings
    Rainbow Six Siege: games now working alt+tab in fullscreen mode, not perfectly it will occasionally go into black screen but its not dead, few more alt+tabs and it works.
    All tried in 1440p 144Hz ... waiting for bigger update, got high expectations about this

13. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Just thought I would share my Neon Noir Raytracing bench at 1920 x 1080 default settings. Remember my 5700XT is under a full waterblock.

[​IMG]

14. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    My vega does 6100 MAX. I think prob AMD needs to update the driver to give it a better performance.

15. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Morpheus? Should fit. I wouldn't recommend it for radeon7 as seems to have canvas a little bit and hbm2 are not sticking to it, but navi core is smaller, so this shouldn't be an issue.
    My morpheus after some polishing gave on vega64 good results like 78 c max junction temperature. Bit more on radeon7, so I made WC from evga CPU cooler.
    If u can go water. U can gain +10% performance with ease I think.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT

https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=46

I think I could use this. Would fit my case coloring also. Hmmh then just two fans to it. I wonder if I should go for some corsair magnetic levitation or what is the best currently anyways relatively silent too.

17. pogodancer

pogodancer Member

GPU:
    Sapp. Pulse 7900XT
    Mine 5700xt on ultra 1080p:
    [​IMG]
    But dropping to very high gives much improvment:
    [​IMG]

18. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Nah, no corsair levitation. It need some space, so close to fins will be noisy. Unless my experience with 140mm is not comparable to 120mm....
    Anyway, some silent wings or so from be quiet or even arctic, driven by motherboard on 1200+1300 rpm area would be fine.

19. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Undying and JonasBeckman like this.
  20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It will be fun to see what Adrenalin 2020 does though I expect a few other features and hopefully also assuming this is a more significant driver branch change more bug fixes and focus on existing longer known issues across GCN and RDNA.
    Expecting RDNA and GCN and compatibility for how RDNA works and how much GCN is still in there to remain at least until RDNA2 and further changes in the actual hardware but who knows, don't have a full understanding of exactly how "Next" works but AMD likely has some interesting plans for expanding RDNA and what improvements can be wrought via refinements to the 7nm process and what was it EUV?
    (The performance silicon and not the power efficiency or something like that, need to read up on it again.)

Going to be fun to see how things go next year plus what the start of this driver set will deliver. :)