Review: AMD Athlon 3000G - that 49 USD processor with Vega3 GPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    rl66 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Very nice CPU for someone who only uses his PC for browsing, office and media.
    What about the included cooler? How much noise under load?

Venix, rl66 and Picolete like this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its not offering any significant improvement over 200g. Maybe when 4000g comes next year with zen2 and navi things could improve.

4. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i m looking for my new mame cpu. I'm waiting for the ryzen 2 based APU a lot.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I don't know this one but my Athlon GE were with the worse and noisier cooler i have seen since year.
    On other hand a new total passive cooler with lot of place for OC cost only 12 Euro... Better cooling, better look, zero noise.

The only improvement is the ability to OC it, but most motherboard can OC the not overclockable CPU.
    Just take a look at your bios description, on my MSI only the latest have "remove the hability to OC Athlon 2** GE due to AMD's demand" i stay with old then :) .

Very nice review Hilbert :)
    But i wonder is the PCIe config are still NVMe X2 and PCIE X4?

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Trying to decide between this and 3700x for my next PC. Maybe I will go for the 3700x. I can't imagine I'd have any use for all the power this CPU offers. I also have a separate video card, as old as it is, so no need to pay the considerable extra for the monster Vega iGPU in this.

schmidtbag likes this.
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I am so confused. That's like saying "I'm thinking of buying <cheapest economy car available with last year's tech> or <powerful work truck at 6x the price>" as though they're at all comparable lol.
    The 3000G appeals to those with a tight budget or tight working constraints (like limited airflow or an embedded system). The 3700X fits neither of those - that's for mid-range workstations.

Also, why get the 3700X if you don't think you'll use all of its power? Why not get a 3600, which will cost less and isn't overkill? Since you don't seem to care whether it's Zen+ or Zen2, why not get the 2700 at nearly half the price of the 3700X?

Kaarme and Venix like this.
  8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    what Schmidtbag said also note that there are cases the 1200/1400/1500 / 1600 x and non x versions can be found for low low prices even new considering the 3000g and the 3700x unable to decide pretty much you are aiming for the performance bracket of any cpu was released last 2 years ^^

Kaarme likes this.
  9. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    Will this be a good upgrade for my fx4300?
    I don't game anymore on pc.
    Also going from 8gb of DDR3 to 16gb of DDR4 then.

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    @schmidtbag @Venix I was just joking, guys. Maybe I used pronouns too much, making the post confusing and the joke lost. My gamer's obsolete Intel 6600K is still more powerful than this Athlon 3000G. I didn't try to say I'd have no use for Ryzen 3700x, though most of the day I wouldn't, but since the next consoles will be 8/16 systems, I consider it the safest bet since I plan to stick to it for many years. I suppose reencoding my videos would also speed up, which would be nice.

Venix likes this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    lol ah ok. Re-reading what you said, it makes much more sense. When you said "I can't imagine I'd have any use for all the power this CPU offers" I thought you were referring to the 3700X, because if the 3000G was sufficient then yeah, it would actually make sense to wonder what you'd need all that extra power for lol.

I had a feeling I wasn't understanding something right, or that maybe you had a typo.

12. Youkinen

Youkinen Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Is there some good reason why one wouldn't make... Let's say 3c 6t cpu? At that price point or even like 60 moneys it would be kick ass and probably as easy to produce since the chips probably have way more usable cores than 2 anyways. I remember AMD had some 3 core cpus at some point, but there were some issues... right?

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's a much modern CPU, but same or less powerfull... My Athlon 2** GE replace a Pentium G3258 and i am (really) happy with the gain for money of this computer.
    The gain will be on the memory and the much modern plateform.
    Don't go with the A320 chipset, the B450 is the minimum to have a good experience with this CPU (and price A320 Vs B450 will be the same).

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Haha i see ,well i guess i should be reading more carefully to read better behind the lines in the future :p . And yes your 6600 leaves the 3000g in smokes.

@Youkinen yes they had phenom 1/2 and athlons and some would say the fx6xxx where 3 core....others will say 3 modules 6 cores ...., so far it seems the ccx's on the ryzen and ryzen+ configuration work only in equal pairs so 1+1 2+2 3+3 4+4 from the leaked presentation it appears that is not a limit anymore on ryzen 2 thought so we might see that but i doubt it .

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The AMD 3 cores were defective 4 cores with 1 core disabled... most of the problem were from that point, it wasn't build as a 3 cores.
    On that segment you have a lot of 2 cores CPU, most of them with 2c/4t, that perform very well.
    Even if, as an exemple, some game need 4c CPU as a minimum, i was able to run them without much issue on my old Pentium G3258 2c/2t (it impress me a lot), why have more core that consume more and need more limitation like 4c/8t running in 2c/2t in idle like intel ultra low TDP line? even more at that low price.

16. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Not impressed with the FARCRY 5 results. A patch came out a few days ago for the missing CPU SSE instruction set and my Phenom X4 965BE at 3.7GHZ, 8GB DDR2 Ram ( yes DDR2) RX560 4GB, Windows 7 & an old school 1TB mechanical hard drive on ULTRA settings at 1080P was 37-45FPS!

17. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    I always use to have 2 computers , but times have been hard. If i was to build a little backup computer this chip would be my choice and a BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Cube Case. I miss that little setup :(

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Redefining value again AMD , aren't you?

19. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    There is a lot of OC potential for the integrated graphics not included in the review, something like 50% more.

20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    while that's a good result for the phenom 2 still the phenom is a 4 core 4 thread cpu while the athlon is 2 core 4 thread cpu ! To see how well the phenom fairs against it we will need a 2080ti on your phenom to see the actual difference the bottleneck on your case might even be the 560 or it might be the phenom . Cheers to em though ! i was not expecting em to release a patch to support phenoms and core 2 quads . looking at HH's review https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_5_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,4.html seems that your gpu is the bottleneck
    no 560 in it ...but there is a 460 that would explain the little higher numbers you get . How's the cpu and gpu utilisation if the cpu is 80~90% and the gpu at 100% they would be a perfect match but that changes from game to game how's your experience in general on that front ?

sorry for the long blab ... i just find it interesting really :)