Samsung researchers found a way for QLED technology to not use backlights

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    More likely the guy is upset and is not telling the true useage of his TV or how old it is. Not necessarily "on purpose", but it's a thing people do all the time, they underestimate how much they use a device as well as underestimate how long they've had it.

The amount of times a customer came in when i fixed PCs with the statement of "Well i just bought it a year ago, maybe a little more"........"Ma'am, this PC was Windows vista on it, and they haven't put that version of windows on a PC in around 10 years, plus the fact the hardware is also from around 2007-2008, did you buy this PC used?" "No, no, i kept the original receipt, here" "Ma'am, this receipt is dated for 2008. You didn't just buy it last year or maybe a little more"

It happens....All the time.

For example: He states he bought it just over a year ago, he posted the article on April 18th 2019, just over a year ago, so around march/April 2018. TV came out however in August 2017, so it could be another half a year more.

Now, here's the interesting part. He bought the B7A. I own the OLED65B7A, don't know about his size, but otherwise we have the same TV. I bought it on, exact date: September 27th 2017.

TV gets used for static imagery for games, consoles, DVR and news stuff all the time. TV is typically on 10+ hours a day. I have yet to have any issue.

Now, i'm just one person, i get that, and TVs can have various circumstances surrounding them, but to me, it sounds more likely that he left his TV on with static imagery way more often then he thinks he does.

Edit: And to be clear, if he is right about his purchase date and useage and he simply get a lemon, that still doesn't really have anything to do with if OLED is bad or not. Regular LCD models die from various reasons all the time, from color uniformity issues, dead pixels, dead backlights, motherboards dying, capacitors dying, etc. And just because those issues may happen, doesn't mean anyone should go "UGH! I'm never buying and LCD again!". It happens, it will always happen, that's the nature of technology.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    fry178 likes this.
  2. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    afaik they get them made by lg, but arent identical.
    i talked to the lg ppl when they came to the store (i know them when working for mil store),
    and they said the normal panels are C, a/b models are based on lower end panels.
    might be that they get affected a bit more.
    but i already went thru a couple of different units (to replace with different/newer model or we were out of stock),
    all in use for at least 6 month (12h/7d) and never saw any issues.
    same for a couple of lgs except one (b series?!) having IR that went back to lg.

@Loobyluggs
    no one spending 3500$ on a tv worries about that, they dont buy it on credit.
    and if, they just buy the extended warranty for 200.

3. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Yes, I did. I'll explain it to you in as simple words as I can.

The degradation effect is cumulative. If you have bright areas that emit light constantly, like static image elements in news programs or talk shows, the organic material degrades with time. The process is permanent and irreversible - whether you watch static content full-time or watch varied content, only the total hours of static content count.

And I don't care what is an 'average' for 'most people' - I have very specific usage patterns as I stated above (8-10 hours of mostly news and talk show programming each day), and this will result in a noticeable degradation in just 2-3 years if you accept their 5000 hours figure for static image tests.

That's because you can't do basic math or apply simple logic.

Why get so defensive - are you a LG shareholder?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Caesar likes this.
  4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm done talking to you.

I bring up points surrounded by facts, and you decided to argue said facts. Articles prove what i am saying, you still argue but try bringing up articles to prove your point. Your own articles state exactly the opposite of what you are trying to say, but you don't care.

You're more useless to talk to then a brick wall.

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    with aura and others on this:
    not sure why you want to watch the news/talk-shows on a +1500$ tv,
    when a LCD in same size would be a lot cheaper/brighter and longer lasting, while making IR a non-issue.

similar like "whining" about the cargo space in a 2 door mid-rear car like a lambo etc,
    and saying "but its a car, so i expect to be able to do all my (grocery) shopping with this".

btt
    even if they manage to do this, i still cant stand samsung's motion processing,
    and have yet to find a setting that doesnt make me turn off the tv after 10 min.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well, I was not asking about subjective opinions, if I may say to you - what I was asking was how much money you would charge for ten years warranty that covers image retention and screen burn, as indicated in every manual by every manufacturer of OLED.

So, it's $200 dollars for ten years of warranty, that includes image retention / screen burn / Organic degradation ? Have I got that number correct?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  7. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Of course I won't buy an OLED TV for that room - I just don't understand the denials.

You're pretending to have read the entire article, but in fact you are even unable to fully understand the preamble.
    I'll do the math for you: 5000 hours / 10 hours/day =500 days ~ 1.5 years. That's how long it takes for visible degradation to appear when you watch news/sports programming for 10 hours each day.
    My apologies for having ruined your world; come back when you're past the depression stage.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  8. :) ...we ought start a tech forum called "Grumpy Old Men" where the pre-requisite is being an Ancient guru from here.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

EDIT: We do have some pretty sweet, sick burns going on at the moment tho' gotta say...

fry178 likes this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I think we need to take this discussion elsewhere, personally...

Samsung are working hard to make their teevees cool, and that's cool - but other manufacturers can't (at the moment) and are stuck in long term arrangements with LG, because they gots the patent.

Panasonic are trying their own tech with the aforementioned 'MEGACON' namesake - and that is the tech I'm really interested in on a purely personal level, because I like Panasonic, I love my Plasma after nearly 10 years of usage, but moreso, I did like the OLED of theirs I tried for a week and then sent back.

It was nice to see how far Panasonic have come in their software on the new 2019 'premium' models - I just didn't think the teeve was worth the money over and above what I already got from Panasonic. So, like Sydney Youngblood, all I can do is Sit and Wait.

Any other manufacturers doing anything awesome with teevees? Let's George Micheal this discussion, as me thinks this is done for now.

Good on Samsung, and let's see how it Sinéad O'Connor's with other newer technology being developed...

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Would have thought that TV shows, news channels by now would have implemented non-static measures (logos changing corners, etc). Hope TV makers introduce an option that detects if no user input for more than couple hours a screen saver comes on. Just an option for those who may worry about it.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Most do, I believe - have something akin to either a screen saver (LG have got this, with classical artwork on rotation) and Panasonic have power-off options.

12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Its a matter of setup/settings. on sony/lg ive seen screensaver/timer power off x-Hrs/no input off after xHrs etc.

13. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    So called Burn Shadow (screen burn-in)? Am i right here? ;)

Deleted member 213629 likes this.