Comet Lake-S and Rocket lake-S Intel Desktop processors at ≤ 10 cores and 125W TDP (updated)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Refer to post 47. I've addressed that already as well.

2. Hey you had to go and quote me .... so again "AMD market dominance" if someone can point where the three words "AMD market dominance" are in this game of "Where's Waldo" below - ya get a Cookie :)

[​IMG]

Fair enough' - can't argue with that... I do enjoy a good argument though... :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2019
  3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nothing relevant is in post #47

Again, the part your quoted from me was relevant to you saying people are saying AMD has market dominance. No one said that.

No one here is saying that AMD has market dominance, it will take them a long, long time to do that. That does not mean that AMD is not currently dominating.

If that's too difficult for you to understand or you're still stuck on the idea that someone said AMD has market dominance, then i don't know what more to tell you.

4. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Ha! is that instead of ' Tick Tock ? ' :p

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

5. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    This could only mean that this source have no information on TGL-S.
    And RKL is likely going to be just an extension for SKL, KBL, CFL and CML in SIPP program.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    AMD is just ramping up production. It's all downhill from here for Intel. The start isn't really here yet, when it hits, Intel are going to feel it.

7. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    No difference in video quality between software and QuickSync, ESPECIALLY when used for what it supposed to be used: Uploading to web

Someone already mentioned the F CPUs, they irrelevant, to get one of them you need to actually chose it over the K one, at least you have an Choice, AMD doesn't, and as far as Intel pricing they not worth it financially, you "save 10-30$" to get a CPU without iGPU.
    When Amazon had 9900K in stock in November was selling it for 471$, before November for 489$, the 9900KF sold for 469$ in November and before that 479$, basically 10$ difference, thats why 9900K is out of stock and KF is in stock, no one wants to lose iGPU to save 10$.
    Xeon are not mainstream CPU, they like HEDT and most of the time dont have iGPU at all, xeon with iGPU is rarity
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/134861/intel-xeon-e-processor.html

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  8. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    There is a correction to the above specs table
    https://twitter.com/momomo_us/status/1200042853587537921
    https://twitter.com/uzzi38/status/1201444715096350721
    https://wccftech.com/intel-rocket-lake-desktop-14nm-cpu-8-core-gen-12-xe-gpu/
    https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1575216141.A.FF7.html

and Rocket Lake S is claimed to be a reimplementation of the 10 nm Willow Cove architecture from Tiger Lake S using the 14 nm process node - and thus it will actually include AVX-512 and PCIe 4.0 (and by extention ThunderBolt3 / USB4).

Other parts, like Gen12 graphics with only 32 units - apparently to fit it to the available limited die size - and an external voltage regulator as in Sky Lake and its descendants, stand to be correct.

This may explain why there are no 10-core parts, as IPC improvements would make up for the absense of extra 2 cores.

It could mean there is no Tiger Lake S - just like no-one had any information on 10 nm Ice Lake S, and it never materialized in the end.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    David3k and -Tj- like this.
  9. What doesn't AMD have a choice in? I'm having trouble following the context / point here...

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Again, I refer to post 15. I quote myself "P.s. Let's not confuse products with actual market-share."

And post 47 is fully relevant as I clearly define what I'm talking about.

I quote myself "I highly doubt we'll see AMD with 50% market-share and that's fiscal I'm talking about. For global market-share, it's just not going to happen."

Already addressed your points, let's stop going round in circles.

Btw, I'm still waiting for a reply to post 44. :) Of-course, this data likely won't be "up-to-date" until January 2020.

p.s. K.S., After post 3 is where the conversation turned into talk about market-share, triggered by the word "dominance". This is why I posted #15 because I could see where it was heading.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019

11. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, Comet Lake is the next architecture that should be launching in 2020? Rocket Lake will be out in 2021?

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I recently read that Dell will start selling more AMD systems due to continued shortages at Intel. Hopefully others will follow, although AMD might have a difficult time fulfilling demand as well - they can't even keep the 3900X/3950X on shelves in the DIY market.

Speaking of the DIY market, AMD has been making an absolute killing in the past several months. The latest figures from Mindfactory.de shows them capturing 82% of sales and 77% of revenue. AMD now completely dominates the market for PC builders and enthusiasts (like those on this forum ;)).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/e41ys5/a_new_level_of_ass_spanking_reached_mindfactoryde/

Stormyandcold likes this.
  13. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Yes, for the desktop (Comet Lake S), with new Socket 1200 and 400-series chipset.
    Mobile parts (Comet Lake U) have been released in August as Core ix 10x10U - not to be confused with Ice Lake U which comes as Core ix 10xxGx
    It seems so.

chinobino likes this.
  14. All good brothah'

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2019
    Stormyandcold likes this.
  15. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Video on left is very blurry. Video on right is jerky.

16. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Or could mean anything else, but Intel still did not announce their plans for S series beyond CML.

17. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    A Full CPU with iGPU like 9900K vs 9900F
    There is no 3800x with iGPU or 3900x

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I agree that their APU lineup is pretty lame (not even current-gen). One would think that they'd be able to easily include an iGPU due to their modular design, but nope. From what I hear, this is one of the major stumbling blocks to having more AMD CPUs in office PCs.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    What a sh1tstorm this thread is...

Fanboys left and right. People are getting upset that a cpu is on 14nm? Who on earth gets upset over things like this? No it doesn't matter one bit. Would it be better if they could move to 7nm? Sure. Nobody is getting upset though, nobody "normal" at least.

It's all about bang for buck. If these are decent 8c/16t for a price comparable to AMD, brilliant, we have a choice and everyone can make up their mind. This is what many wanted, competition from AMD to push Intel into upping their game. Now they can both go ham, introduce better and cheaper CPUs that we will all benefit from.

A lot of nonsence in this thread though, about "AMD dominating" and such. It feels like some just want Intel dead. Let's not forget that if that was the case, we would go right back by about 10 years, where AMD would just take the piss for years, doing exactly what Intel have been doing. Charging more and more for marginal improvements.

Chill guys ffs, enjoy this time, we have a choice and let's hope it continues.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So if they sat on 14nm for the next 10 years you'd be okay with that because it apparently doesn't matter if they improve their technology?

Interesting. Here i thought this was a tech forum.