Samsung researchers found a way for QLED technology to not use backlights

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2019.

1. ^ Damn.... "this second test on OLED burn in ... has been running for a year" F** lol tip of the hat sir'

2. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    You have no idea what are you taking about. Be silent no more embarrassing comments.

I play in my LG B9, it is smooth as it gets. Here take an example from the same TV I own. Unless you are someone more demanding than Linus himself.

3. warlord likes this.
  4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I just cannot stand lies. OLEDs is the new but sensitive plasma TVs. You couldn't beat gaming in those, neither you can beat oleds now. Qled is for those in need to keep the same TV for over a decade, each to his own.

Even my old parents could see the difference between the two panels. You can't go wrong with perfect black and contrast. Brighter white, is not able to save the day.

By the end of day, to my eyes, image clarity, sharpness and uniformity beats brightness peak. Who cares for absolute light if you cannot distinguish details anyway?

Qled is overrated. They should prepare their "microled".

fry178 likes this.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

In summary, no real world experience and a wall of text address other issues not specific to OLED. Plasma isn't the future.

yasamoka likes this.
  6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Don't 'start' with me Hemi - just don't.

rl66 likes this.
  7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Funny.
    Unless one tv is 8k, it wont beat another 4k tv in resolution, maybe detail.
    And plasmas are stuck at 60hz, and i cant watch it for more than a few min. unless that changed in past years.

Qleds arent (lcd screens) tech, just color enhancement, and because they are lcd, they will never experience burn in/image retention, showing some ppl are just regurgitating samsung crap.
    Its like claiming you will never get stuck in snow, because you live in Florida, when your car is a 4x4.

There are different models for oleds, and i have seen image retention on one we had on the display within a year (the lg logo showing after each demo vid was retained), also have a couple of lg customers that asked me how to fix it on their tvs.

And they don't cover image retention, because they don't want ppl to swap their tv for a new one once a year.
    Same why no car maker will cover any damage to a street legal that's been used on a race track.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The only things that make plasma obsolete are:
    -Very weak screen: it fall from 10cm it is broken
    -Huge consume of electricity
    -was hard to get high resolution with it
    -Expensive compared to led

But those screen were having a real black, that we can't reach with actual led technology, we can only get a deep dark grey...
    Black is essencial to have a good image on screen. So if a company found a way to solve the problem...

Anyway this news is nice, anything that can remove backlight is nice (and good for your eyes).

Venix and Loobyluggs like this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Slightly assumptive, but Samsung not having an issue with a ten year warranty/guarantee, is because they can do it and not lose out; because their tech does not get screen burn or image retention.

As for OLED - every-single-manufacturer will not give you warranty or guarantee for screen burn/image retention, because of the inherrent/built-in FACT that organic matter degrades.

And I say to everyone here: if it wasn't a problem, then the manufacturers would allow warranties to cover this, and they would not give advice in every manual telling you how to lower the amount of screen burn you get.

One last time:

It's inherrent
    The manufacturers offer no warranty
    The manufacturers know it's unavoidable and tell you what to do to mitigate/lessen the problem.

If anyone doubts this, then I'll get a list of ALL of the manuals from ALL of the manufacturers for ALL of their models, complete with the page no. where entire chapters of the manual cover the problem of unavoidable organic degradation.

PM me if anyone wants this information, although I'm sure that everone here can do this themselves, to save me the bother personally calling anyone out?

I'm trying to be nice here - some are making this impossible by doing the 'three wise monkeys' routine (not you, rl66)

/end of discussion

Venix likes this.
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    When I bought my C7 I read about people with earlier OLED models getting denied requests for burn-in issues with LG. Infact I remember one guy posting an email response from LG saying that the image retention he had was from misuse of the TV. Apparently playing games on a OLED TV for too long is misuse according to LG.

That being said the newer OLED tvs heavily mitigate the burn-in issues. I've personally left my screen on for hours a time with static images and have no issues - I'm sure the C8, C9 further improve on this. RTINGS has some burn-in tests going - they showed slight image retention on a C7 after 6 weeks running CNN ~19 hours a day (i forget the exact amount of hours too lazy to look it up). So it's still clearly a problem but I don't think under any normal use you'd see it. I bought my TV with the assumption that I'd replace it in 5 years - so as long as I have no burn in within the next 3 years I don't really care. The image quality improvement over the Samsung/non-OLED sony's and stuff was just too good to pass up.

Regardless, if Samsung found a way to do self emissive QLED it's a pretty big deal. Should provide all the improvements that OLED does with non of the downsides. Perhaps my next TV will use that or MicroLED - although it still seems like MicroLED is at minimum 8 or so years off from mass scale production.

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    So what?
    LCD dont degrade? I mean, are ppl blind or only just me sees more and more clouding and picture degradation on any LCD I had, have, or seen in my parents home or sister? Dead pixels after week, year or three? Dont exist or it is just flea shiet?
    And sharpness/contour behaviour...damn that thing suck. I cannot watch LCD TV from less than 2m, I just see how it suck.
    I bought OLED c8 last year, December. No issues. I even connected PC to it, no issues either, and picture was perfect compared to my monitor.
    2 months ago I purchased OLED TV b9 for my parents and, coming from Philip's fhd TV 8yo they are just delighted. They are not tech heavy, but they clearly see differences on same source(aerial fhd ) and as I connected they to my Netflix account they see what proper picture should look like.
    Now they are in process of installing cable TV, just to make signal and picture even better. And watching experience better.

And guess what, if it fail in 3-6 years I would not cry, just buy new TV. Hope there will be nonorganic or microled diodes TV available at the time, but if not....
    Who cares?
    Personally if I could buy now in below 1k price range 1440p monitor, OLED or mled I would not hesitate.
    120hz+ ofc.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Not every tv is the same.
    Just because one didn't look good to you, doesn't mean they all do.

E.g. The lcd based z9g side by side withe a9g will produce the "same" picture, so far i haven't seen anyone that could tell the difference.

Sure, once i know what to look for, you can point out they arent (overhead shot from a city at night etc), but its not something a regular consumer will notice.

13. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    OLED screens look great, but it's true that they have a little less brightness than high-end QLEDs and they also have the burn in problem.
    Let's see if Samsung will soon release these QPLED models and LG will release 48 or 49 inch OLEDs and lower the prices of good TVs.

Witcher29 likes this.
  14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Again, qleds are "regular" led driven tvs, not tech, and there is no "burn in" on oleds since they arent plasmas.
    There only is the possibility for image retention, since the blue oleds degrade faster, and the green/red will make the area stick out.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  15. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Yep thats why o-led is old tech and not really populair anymore here in europe.
    Samsung is market leader here [@ least in the Netherlands]

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Really, the technology that's only been in TVs since 2014 and only recently started to best LED (around 2016-2017) is old and not really popular anymore... despite the fact that it was never popular because it's literally brand new? You think maybe Samsung is the market leader for reasons other then OLED? You think maybe it's because the vast majority of TV sales are not $3000+ OLED TVs?

Nothing you're saying this thread makes any sense man.

They are driven by LEDs but the color filters are gone and replaced by a quantum dot layer. It's definitely a technology, just one that augments LED and not a replacement for it. Also the whole "burn-in" vs "image retention" is pedantic - the bottom line is that an OLED TV with static content on it can have retention to the point where the screen is unusable and that's ultimately what people are referring too. Whether or not you can burn out the other colors to bring it back isn't really relevant.. no one is going to do that and no one has done that, the screen is useless at that point.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Unless you have actual data to back you up i really don't think you're qualified to make statements of what is popular or market leaders in europe or the netherlands.

Not only that but OLED TVs are for the most part exclusive to the high end, it's not exactly comparable to the entirety of Samsungs lineup which stretches from the cheapest of the cheapest to the high end.

Apples and oranges.

fry178 likes this.
  18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Have you tried cleaning your lcd?
    You are welcome :D

19. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    The latest QLED panels, as well as traditional LCDs with high-efficiency phosphors, have very good contrast ratio - though not infinite - and black uniformity. They achieve this with full-array local dimming and aggressive screen coating, though at the cost of reduced viewing angles. LCD-based display also have better peak brightness by using more powerful LEDs in the backlight.

But of course slow GTG pixel response times and limited viewing angles of the LCD panel are not going to improve. That's why Samsung is investing $11 bn in converting their 8G plants to QD-OLED panel production, which uses blue OLED layer and inkjet-printed photoemissive red/greed QD color filters. This would result in cost advantages over WOLED with RGB color filters. This decision follows pilot production tests that were performed throughout 2019, and QD-OLED technology will not enter consumer market until at least 2022-2023.
    Previous announcements described ink-printed QD color filters to be used with LCD displays, but this design proposal ran into difficulties with the in-cell polarizer.

Now active-matrix electro-emisssive (electroluminiscent) QD-LED (ELQD, displays - which use quantum dot LEDs as direct light emitters in the subpixels and do not require color filters - are even farther away, probably 2028-2030 at the earliest.
    But these are not really new. Prototype QD-LED displays have been tested and shown for a few years now - including NanoSys demo at CES 2019 and CSoT demo at SID DisplayWeek 2019 - and each time they're a moving target that's still '3-5 years' away.

Improved quantum efficiency of Cd-free materials is sure welcome, but researchers first need to devise methods to inkjet-print individual LEDs for each subpixel on top of TFT (thin-film transistor) matrix before mass production of QD-LED displays becomes economically possible.

Whatever it's called, OLED pixel degradation is real, just like the burn-in effect of PDP displays - which ultimately failed in every public announcement system they were installed in.

Even if this degradation only affects certain use cases, specifically news programming displays, it's still a factor to consider.

PDP and FED/SED are unlikely to ever re-enter development and production - they are not as power-efficient or cost-effective as active LED displays, and especially ink-printable OLED/QD-LED.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    fry178 likes this.
  20. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    At one of the internal training session from sony i asked one of the r&d guys if we anything coming that would "replace" lcds that aren't oled, and he talked about some sort of micro led tech (called crystal something), but that was 5y ago.
    Dont think thats coming soon. :(