Comet Lake-S and Rocket lake-S Intel Desktop processors at ≤ 10 cores and 125W TDP (updated)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2019.

1. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    This type of juvenile comments are hilarious, what do you care if its 14nm or 30nm?
    You should care about performance and price, arguing about underlining technology is irrelevant, if the CPU is faster.
    And Unlike AMD intel has iGPU with every CPU and it has QuickSync to encode Video.
    Look at this like that: It took AMD New technology + shrink to twice lower then Intel 7nm vs 14nm, to finally come close in performance
    Right now Inlets "ancient" 14nm, clocks higher then AMD 7nm, still owns AMD in Games, overclocks higher and has REAL boost clocks.

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Typical scenario of: "We gotta do something?!?".

3. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Do you work for Intel? Just curious, cause you seem to wanna white knight it everytime someone says something you don't like towards intel.

moo100times, XS621 and Mesab67 like this.
  4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    14nm again Intel?

5. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Well done, Sir, on continuing to show your true colors on your sleeve. You are consistent - and entertaining, if nothing else!
    At times like this it's really very easy to spot paid Intel shills.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    While it's not untrue that the overall performance is not 100% dictated by the node, i think it's perfectly understandable that people are upset that Intel will be on 14nm node yet again with little to no improvement to performance.

You can't possibly be sitting here with the idea of "I wish Intel would never go past 14nm", now are you?

Yeah so...first things first. Not every CPU needs an iGPU, it's wasted cost for the manufacturer and wasted additional cost for consumers to have something they don't need. I'd wager 95% if not more people in this very forum do not need an iGPU unless they are planning on building a lower-power budget build not for gaming.

For two, not every intel CPU has an iGPU.

To list one that actually would have benefited from it: Intels first 10nm CPU. Core i3-8121U. Was meant for low power devices (but was not competitive to intels own 14nm CPUs) dual-core CPU, and its iGPU was disabled due to issues.

But beyond that:

Core i7-9750HF
    Core i9-9900KF

I wanna say none of the HEDT X series have iGPUs, could be wrong though

And i'm certain some 10-series will not have an iGPU on it either

And before you say "well you're nitpicking now", here's your quote again:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  7. [​IMG]

YEAH YOU MISSED SOMETHING ALRIGHT! :D

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well Intel have lost far more miserably in the data server segment than anywhere else considering what AMD now offers vs the joke Intel has as competition... at significantly higher prices. Even with the "special deals" Intel have going on so companies don't buy from AMD, they can't supply what's needed at a non-bullshit price. Companies are switching to AMD for their servers.

Haven't been keeping up with that market eh?

9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    No.
    You missed the point of my post.
    I'm sick of all the people that take stance on the technology rather than the product itself.
    I switched to AMD one year ago because i like the product. But i do not care if is 7nm or 10nm or 14nm.
    As the other guys said, and he is right, as long as cpu have comparable prices and speed, all the rest is really a detail.
    If amd 4000 series will require a new motherboard and intel and amd offering will be similar i ll re-evaluate from scratch again, without counting TDP, and build process or color of the box.

People that:
    - waiting for 7nm UEV because current 7nm is a joke
    - not wanting a 14nm cpu because is 2020
    - saying that intel has nothing to sell for the next 3 years
    - intel is `owning` amd on games ( checking counter strike 4 digits FPS )
    - identify paid poster by that or that other company

Are just taking pointless political stances on cpu brand, and that makes me terribly sick

AMD stocks did 4x with the price in 3 year
    INTEL stocks did 1.5x with the price, still good.

10. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Link us this article you read then. Because the only thing I have seen about a shop selling more AMD cpu's was about a small European shop that pretty much has always pushed AMD over Intel.

11. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Somebody hasn't been keeping up with the market. AMD has only 4.3% market share of Server market as of the beginning of November. 18% of desktop market and almost 15% of mobile.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  12. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I’m just waiting for them to find that one big security “feature” that neuters them hard.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The shop you're talking about in europe does not push AMD products. It is not baised to one product or another, due to the fact it's...a shop that sells both products at prices that are more or less set by intel and AMD (+VAT and etc.). It's not a website where AMD customers more frequent then Intel.

This line of thinking is just illogical.

As to the "article" you want him to submit, there is no "article", he simply mentioned Amazon, which auto-generates "best selling" for certain products including CPUs

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Computer-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189

This is old data and specifically doesn't take into consideration the continuous statements made by multiple big companies that have stated they will be switching to AMD processors. Which is what the original poster you're quoting is talking about.

14. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    As well as still being outdated 14nm tech, I also see a hdmi 2.0 in that list for the onboard. They could have at least made the effort to use hdmi 2.1 instead of flogging TWO dead horses...

moo100times likes this.
  15. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    So in other words what he posted has no basis in fact. Just because they made the list that you posted doesn't show that they have the top 10. It doesn't say anything about quantities sold, just what seems to be hot at the current moment. And data from 3 weeks ago is not "old" data. It's the most up to date available. Just because you hear a few statements from somebody saying that they are going to do something does not make any difference in actual factual sales data.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

....wut?

It's an automatic list created by how many units are selling.....does it give direct details? No.

I swear some of you intel fanboys will say anything to try to claim something isn't authentic.

As above stated:

I swear some of you intel fanboys will say anything to try to claim something isn't authentic.

"I don't care where the market is going or what sales have already been stated to happen or anything about current or future information. I only care about up to Q3 2019 data"

If that's all you care about, then why even come into a topic and show non-up to day information? Completely pointless to the topic you quoted.

Btw the data is, just encase it wasn't clear already, is from Q3 2019, which ended in September, not November. So it's accurate as of September....not November...not October....The articles came from November, based off of Q3 data, which ended in September.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  17. ***yaaaawwwwnnnn***

18. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    No of course I want to see progress, my point is saying something is failed just because its 14nm is incorrect, you need to see actual performance.
    iGPU was mentioned in the context of QuickSync, as in: AMD extra cores have no advantage when you encode video, quicksync [which uses the iGPU] is still faster
    All mainstream Intel CPUs have iGPU, since 2019 you can buy an F CPU, as a personal choice.

Thank god im not Free AyMD shill!

19. Well I'm glad if you're not anyone's shill man' ;)

CPU encode (AMD) vs IGPU (QuickSync) encode?

20. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    You know, your behavior is quite unbecoming and is a disservice to you and this board. Please stop acting so juvenile so we can have an open discussion about technology.

Yes, the node matters. The node matters so much that AMD actually has a process advantage, and they're able to leverage this into a performance-per-watt advantage, which turns into a performance density advantage for the server space. The technology matters as much as the final product itself.

And lets' not beat around the bush: the only reason Intel has any sort of performance relevance this time around is due to them doing the exact same thing AMD was ridiculed for doing (and rightfully so!) with Bulldozer/Piledriver; pushing clockspeeds of their existing designs way past any sensible point, into regions they weren't really made for.
    It's as absurd now with Intel as it was back then with AMD.

ANYWAY...

As far as I can recall, there was supposed to be a part where the current 10nm designs that have improved IPC is to be backported to the 14+++nm node, at last as far as the execution units and branch predictor and so forth. Is that Rocket Lake?
    That would explain the lower core-count if the chip was the "backported" higher IPC one because, ironically, Intel's larger 14nm+++ node is actually more power efficient than Intel's 10nm node, and uses less power and can clock higher.

This would actually mean that they can hit relevant performance marks in desktop for 2020. But even with the IPC gain, the performance-per-watt would still be the real question because we don't really know right now how high they're going to have to clock these. Performance-per-watt is still up in the air and we only have an idea of where it's going to land (based on the 14nm+++ node).

So Intel is still in there, performance wise, and they still have massive market share and really deep pockets.

2020 is shaping up to be a really interesting year, with AMD aggressively going forward with their designs, they're going to be relentless in the next few years as they're going to need to be to take back some marketshare. Meanwhile Intel is having to make up for their massive fumble on 10nm, they're going to try to salvage what they can from that node while moving to their next node as fast as possible. But if their efficiency in 14m was anything to go by, their next node should be quite suitably impressive.

Intel will survive this and after a few years come back to relevant power efficiency. (They will stay competitive in terms of performance) In the meantime, I don't mind seeing Intel getting thrashed for awhile, they kind of deserve it for being so complacent over the years, happy to just raise prices on users while giving them 5% year-on-year performance improvement.

And on that note:

I can't wait to see what 2020 brings.

DmitryKo, carnivore, Icanium and 4 others like this.