Samsung researchers found a way for QLED technology to not use backlights

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  2. Wow.. future Samsung QLEDs will not be anything near the past if I read this right this would entail.. .
    • A "QLED panel" vs QLED pixels against LED back-lighting as before?
    • QLED True per-pixel individual light-sourcing (on off etc) vs prior of tuning per pixel color light output over back-light
    • Operating Efficiency increase of up to 21%
    • QLED lifetime is now in the million-hour range
    That's.... freaking awesome :D

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    If I can find the educational 'patented' synopsis and research documentation, I will - but there is a university/college somewhere that has found a way to produce a new form/variant of the Plasma Display technology. And it's f'ing amazing.

I just can't remember the name of University, other than it was N.America somewhere...

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  4. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    They dont have to be close to OLED. OLED is terrible for gaming, also i dont like the HDR on OLED peak nits are to low.
    If samsung can improve Q-LED then go ahead love the tech :)

toyo likes this.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    what makes oled bad for gaming?
    I have only an oled TV and i m using it with a playstation 4.
    The experience is new for me and so far looks beautifull for general purpose gaming at 60hz.
    What is the terrible part you refer to?

6. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Some OLED's have bad black crush. Burn in on HUD items. They're not as bright as backlit TV's so sometimes struggle in bright rooms.

For movies in darkened rooms OLED's are perfect. But they can struggle in other conditions/uses.

7. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    You are drunk, OLED is BEST for gaming, Unbeatable.

Everything you said is Samsung misinformation, has no real basis in reality of 2019.

Nothing, OLED are Best Gaming panels right now, unlike LCD trash, they dont blur, OLED has instantaneous pixel response, which even Gaming panels like the most expensive 2500USD ASUS PG35VQ with even extreme Overdrive , cant beat.
    LCD has to deal with both input lag which is due to processing and pixel response, which is at worst when Black to white or white to black, thats why every Gaming Monitor box has plastered all over 2ms or 3ms etc but when you open the spec its GtG: Gray to Gray.
    Also 2019 OLED have 120hz panels, and HDMI 2.1, GSYNC works when connected to PC, and Xbox one x, future consoles with HDMI 2.1 will support all the features.
    Nurn-in is getting reduced every year, if you check RATINGS burn in test that they did for years, on OLD 2017 models with normal use there is no burn-in and ghosting gets refreshed when you turn the TV OFF, thats why is EXTREMELY important to not disable electricity for OLED TVs [like say every shop does when they close the shop for night, they turn off the electricity and their OLEDs have insane burn-in]
    For OLED to get a Burn-In right now it has to be switched permanently to single channel 24/7, normal people dont do that and switch content all the time.

Also LG, published they work chart, by 2022 the OLED NITS will be doubled, Color Gamut will be extended and they will double the Panels life expectancy, it will start from next year, with new panels getting more nits every year until 2022 when it will double the nits from 2019.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Maddness likes this.
  8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Said no one who actually has an OLED screen and games with it.

Seriously what is with all these people who have obviously never used an OLED TV spreading misinformation?

9. That sounds interesting indeed

10. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Yeah it truly is a tragedy.. Seeing games for what they really are, terrible.

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Lol, so it took Samsung more than 3y, to do what sony already has on the market (Z9).

12. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I got a panasonic gz950e 65 inch on suggestion of a friend that loves cinema.
    I thought it would be super good for movies and color fidelty and it is.

My experience is that games are super bright but not saturated. Black is black, i cannot see the difference from turned off tv to turned on black. When ps4 decides that there is some hdr content in games ( true or fake ) the brightness is higher and the whites are up to annoying my eyes.

All in all i think is very good.
    I'm worried of burnin too, but i also decided that i will just use it and if i get burn in, i will learn my lesson.

13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Technically there is no burn in (unless its plasma), but image retention (oled degrade differently for each color).
    As long as you dont have static stuff like HUD and the like, you should be fine.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I've had an LG OLED TV for 2 years now that has pretty much been constantly used for TV, games, movies, etc. on a daily basis and has frequently (accidentally) been left on and paused on games or movies. Not one bit of burn in or image retention or etc. has happened as of yet that i can see at the least. Can't speak for the future but considering the fact that i have left things on for 10+ hours before and freaked out when i noticed, and then unfreaked out when i change the picture and put up a white screen or black screen and can't tell any issues, it does not appear to be as big of an issue that people make it.

I do have the anti-burn-in/image retention stuff enabled though as far as i recall.

fry178, MegaFalloutFan and Maddness like this.
  15. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I have had an E6 LG OLED since they first came out and an C7 which is just over a year and a bit old. I game extensively on it and it has absolutely no signs of image retention. I even ran the Samsung program and it shows 0% retention. I believe that whilst yes you can get it, it has been blown right out of proportion. Gaming on an OLED is simply sublime. I would love me one of those C9's so I can run 120hz 4K VRR. Now that's gaming heaven right there.

fry178 and MegaFalloutFan like this.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I had a Panasonic OLED for less than a week and sent it back, and I'm using that short period of time to partially respond, but I am also going to use the information provided by the manufacturers of the televisions themselves.

1: Input lag or image? Because my Plasma will beat both, just not in resolution or HDR, and in games they may or may not be important, guess it depends on what kind of HDR (there are many types, ACES is Unreal Engine) and who 'bothered' the game developer was or is for that particular game. Let's say the game is genuine UHD4K, and has úber levels of competance on the HDR, then yeah, you might win that round on a technicality. My input lag is 24ms and I can play Tekken7 just fine online, and most of my teevee gaming is really just 3rd person adventure games. Subjectively, I cannot feel any input lag, and the figure of 24ms of from a recent calibration from the manufacturer that I paid for privately, just to give it a Plasma service, you might say. Others have never complained about the input lag, either. I use official controllers on my PS4 Pr0...it would be an interesting side by side comparision, but my blacks are better and plasma is just...godlike. The experience might be felt by some, but I do not think there would a winner, except on resolution,,,when the developer actually gives you UHD4K, of course.

2: Samsung offer a 10 year guarantee/warranty (direct) and that includes screen burn. That's a fact. On their QLED range. Main page.

3: see (1)

4: Any expenditure on money show come with reading reviews (Hi Hilbert!) and doing basic research and experimentation, like I did for week. Input lag is clearly avaliable information, but you always have to look for it, just as you have to look for input lag on OLED, which does exist.

5: Not all have that, and there are reasons why, some of those reasons are because of the HDMI spec 2.0b being prevelant much more than the necessity of content to push 2.1. Not everyone has caught up, in simple terms, from producers of soundbars, to movie studios adopting correctly adjusted HDR. It's happening now, and this is just a transient thing as we all know, and certainly nothing to do with the panel technology, just the connections, and, demand for more than 2.0b.

6: It is still organic matter. That degrades. That forces ALL manufacturers of OLED (which LG own the patent to, btw) to not allow for any warranty claims because of image retention/screen burn. They all use the LG panels. They all have the same problem. Geddit? The day they solve that problem, is the day it is never mentioned ever again - but it is real and the manufacturers not only do not allow warranty claims because of it, they also have rules for using the television restricting it's usage, like: usage time, resolution, widescreen/digital zoom, content type and duration. If you do not do what they tell you to do, you WILL get problems with the image.

7: Incorrect - ask the manufacturer directly, by either reading the manual, or telephoning them to confirm what it says in the manual...that simple.

8: They might be able to push the evenlope to magical levels - but there is not one person here on these forums that would buy a 2nd-hand OLED - especially if it is used by one of us!

Yah, I can't recall which scientific journal it was in...still looking.

Venix likes this.
    • Que pasa? Samsung is peanuts next to Sony... plus had to be different approach because of patent law right?
    Separate Issue
    • Far as burn in folks come onnnn we aren't talkin original Sony Bravia lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2019
  17. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb

I bet you had some sort of breakdown and been obsessively posting anti-OLED propaganda everywhere you go, i remember you from almost a year back, always posting almost identical walls of text.
    Your opinions on this subject are irrelevant.

18. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Samsung Fanboys!

You can always get extended warranty, LG has great warranty as is, and will usually replace Panel burn in even after warranty, also outside USA in most countries the warranty is 3 years.
    I got 3 years by default for my new c9 and purchased extra 3 for 240$ for a total of 6

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti