Review: Core i9 10980XE processor (Intel 18-core galore)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 25, 2019.

1. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    just watched Linus, he destroys the Intel :eek: I'll resume the review for people who don't have time to watch
    "Intel, we strongly dislike your childish marketing tactic of lifting the embargo just before AMD does...you cowards"
    "the hardware mitigation of security flaws seems to have a noticeable performance hit"

from my perspective it's a Z390+ with nvme and pcie slots you can actually use, that's not a "bad" product per say, I would maybe have considered it if it came with pcie 4.0 10gbe more lanes etc but compared to the TRX40 or X570 motherboards Intel is obsolete

@Dwwwolf : not in this world, like vultures or sharks lol people really interested on those products want to know everything asap

dirtm and Abc666 like this.
  2. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    You have to be special to buy this over the Ryzen 3950X or the Threadripper 3000.

Amazing to see how AMD's mainstream can easily go up against intels top of the line HEDT.
    TR3 is going to rip Intel's entire HEDT apart.

Solfaur and Undying like this.
  3. dirtm

dirtm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 290x 4GB
    I would highly doubt this is paid review, I wouldn't speculate as such in this case. Intel's behavior has put journalists in an incredibility tough position. Hilbert has the option of copping a tad of criticism for the "recommended" badge, or possibility never seeing another chip before launch. Who knows maybe the TR will get the badge too.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I see what you are trying to insinuate there, that is a little far fetched man. No, on this forums you all now it, there are pro-Intel and pro-AMD users and the two do not mix well. Every time I post an intel review, the pro-AMD team will give me crap and vice versa. Intel has not done anything else other than providing a sample so I really do not appreciate the suggestive remark you make there. There is little wrong with the 10980XE for the team Intel end-user. I mean prices got slashed in half, it is a notch faster compared to last gen, has been vulnerability hardened, offers good game performance and has 18-cores at pretty snazzy temps. So for that Intel aficionado, I can certainly recommend this processor if you need that many cores. A recommended award is, however, the lowest in the stack of our awards.

The proc is, in fact, competing with 3950X, which has two cores less and 250 bucks cheaper, and guess what, that one received a Top pick award. So let's not get blinded and throw around weird excuses over an award, shall we? As I get the feeling you don't want to see that ward, just because it's Intel? It is a good proc and a solid platform at a price that is half of what it could have been. But anyone can see that AMD is shaking and rattling all cages in the market.

wavetrex, Loophole35, EspHack and 3 others like this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I honestly think you two got me wrong there: I tried to say, I doubt it's a paid review, speaking against the two posts before mine. Actually I wanted to advertise my opinion that this site is not biased or bought with simple sample handouts.
    My comment on the recommended badge showed that while I disagree (I would not recommend this processor or the platform at all), still doesn't make me think this is a bad or bought review.

jura11, Solfaur and dirtm like this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This honestly has nothing to do with integrity. On the net, the early bird gets the clicks, and the release time doesn't change what's written in there anyway.

7. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Here we go, soon Hilbert will have written the title in too big a font because it will give us an " I want an orange sherbert" moment and go out and buy Intel :D

We are just lucky it has not got an integrated nvidia core to make the comments even better.....

Getting back to the article I think it will have to be reduced in price of course due to the fact of the competitors current product and the 6 hours away ( and getting closer ... ) product. We will see.

I was impressed with that overclock, if you like messing about with cooling and overclocking lots of cores then this is one for your KW psu.

I still prefer 4 cores for what I need. I'm converting 50GB 4k film files at the moment on a 6700k but rather than spending money on a multicore beast just let it run overnight when sleeping as I am not doing it for work.

8. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Indeed, there was no need to even mention it, but he did, so being above board.

9. fabtech

fabtech Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    HOW CAN GURU3D CAN RECOMMEND THIS CPU ???
    After all results, this CPU can't definitely be recommended when facing AMD offer... It's the same CPU that the 9980XE which was already the same as the 7980XE, please look at LTT review, Intel is selling you the same SKYLAKE CPU over and over, this is more like an Intel Scam !

Of course, they can lower the price, this CPU is 3 years old

10. fabtech

fabtech Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yep, Threadripper 3000 (blured results) crucifies the Intel HEDT.

11. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Very unimpressive. Intel are being shat on because they won't budge from 14nm tech.

12. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Why u think i think CPU market only need 1 recommend product (which is like everybody know 3950x) ?
    so intel cant get recommend CPU for intel platform ?

"Recommend" is not same to Current-BEST .. most people should already realize it
    same to rest AMD lineup, 3950x maybe the best, but doesnt mean 3900x 3700x anyway bad, both of-course recommend "Great Value" : https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_3700x_ryzen_9_3900x_review,28.html

13. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    This is much better then 3950x, for starters it beats it in most benchmarks, easily overclocks to 4.6 on air, do it with AIO and you solved the heat issue HIlbert had, AyMD cant overclock at all, at 4.6Ghz this CPU was just below the WX TR3 in Cinebench, got 4423 score and took second place, and if Hilbert re-tested it in everything again it would be at the top of the charts [it is at the top of most of them anyway].
    X299 motherboards are cheaper then x570 [I compared], also no dumb fan.
    But most important: PCIe Lanes and thats what lots of people want.
    Right now you can game and work on any CPU, the difference is there but not really night and day, on x299 you can have all the PCIe lanes that you may need starting at 550$ for that 10 core CPU

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    After this review, the 'results' recommend the 3950x. Nothing more to it. Even if Intel priced it the same ($750), still not as appealing as the 3950x which consumes 100w less power at load.

15. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    May I suggest for these awards to be more visually descriptive? For example, use bronze, silver and gold colors, as opposed to stock guru3d blue, since they kinda look the same across all tiers. Also putting a link right below the award to a page explaining the tiers would make it even better.

Unless the user is regular around here, there really is no way to understand that "recommended" isn't simply saying "the best".

Aside from that, great review as always. Can't shake the feeling that anyone with a brain would predict that threadripper will shread this to pieces, simply by looking at ryzen 3000 performance.

carnivore and schmidtbag like this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Honestly, this is one of the few CPUs Intel released that wasn't especially underwhelming. Considering this is basically a refresh, there's oddly a lot of improvement here. Although it's still too expensive, the price is finally reasonable.

Having been here long enough, I get the gist of Hilbert's award system. When he says "recommended", he's not saying "this is what I'd suggest you get over anything else" but rather "you will be happy with this purchase". There are a lot of products (even unrelated to computers) that I'd recommend, but would never get for myself. All that being said, I'd agree with his assessment: this CPU is recommendable, in the sense that it's a decent (but not good) value, it offers great (but not the best) performance, and it has more features than what most people will ever use. I'm sure most of us would agree that if you were to tell someone the best thing to buy, we wouldn't pick the 10980XE, but, someone buying it wouldn't be making a mistake either.

However... I do feel the award system needs to be a little more concise. I agree with Ricardo's suggestion, and maybe take things a step further. Perhaps there should be gold, silver, bronze, and "null" medals for the following categories:
    * Gaming performance
    * Productivity performance
    * Synthetic performance
    * Features
    * Value
    Obviously, the categories can be removed when they're not relevant.

17. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I wonder where are you from? In the developed world electricity been non issues for the last 50 years

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    For most enthusiasts, CPU power is not measured by expense, but by heat and cooling requirements which can ultimately affect performance, OC potential.

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    A nice CPU but the results seem a little lackluster, could it be caused by the security hardening/patches??? As for the recommended badge, it´s just a way of saying this is a very nice product. not that it´s the best or that you should avoid other products. And it´s useful for those who only like to buy Intel or AMD. Not to mention Hilbert wrote in the first page to wait for the TR review coming soon before reaching any conclusions!...
    For me, is one of those products that i have little interest because i don´t need that many cores and i´m not going to pay 1.000€ for a CPU...

Great review as always!

20. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Thats why we build custom loops, also this type of view is hmmm incorrect in 2019.
    IF you had alternative CPU that can be overclocked and uses less power and produces less heat but AMD has ZERO overclocking potential.
    Sso we have low power AMD and no overclock or Intel that overclocks like dream but takes more power.