WDTV Live replacements

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by udmin, Nov 22, 2019.

1. udmin

udmin Active Member

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX680
    Hi guys, we have 3 wdtv live in the house, and im thinking it is time to get replacements.
    What are the popular choices these days?
    Basically need to play all kinds of video formats, its also got to have netflix and plex.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Amazon fire TV or Nvidia shield

3. udmin

udmin Active Member

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX680
    Bloody nvidia shield not cheap is it, also a quick look and it doesnt have a dedicated audio out.

4. LBJM

LBJM Guest

GPU:
    latest green team
    I too had a wd live untill I replaced it with a KdLinks A400 which also goes by HiMedia Q10 Pro. It does everything the wd live does plus can take a 3.5" hard drive, 4k ,x265, HDR, and other stuff I don't use it for. If you want more choices check out avsforums. You can find the kdlinks A400/Himedia Q10 pro for $100-150 on ebay and you can upgrade the firmware between the two companies if you read the guides. The fire stick and the shield are overpriced to replace the wd live..

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I know this thread is a few months old but..... How is $40 overpriced when you're recommending a device that's $100-150? NVidia Shield is also $150....so, how is it overpriced?

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    That Himedia box you recommended also is running a very old version of android with no mention of it being upgradeable.
    I still stand by my shield and firetv recommendation. Both running Kodi and streaming movies off my NAS and both more than capable of running 4k content.