Navi RDNA Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jun 11, 2019.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Division 2 runs well here with D3D11, toggling to D3D12 just errors out and reverts back to D3D11 but after a while the servers seem to have had enough since then there's visible latency issues and rubberbanding or even outright pauses and things speed up catching up to the server data again which has occurred for a while but with TU6 in the beta test and the open week to entice new players to check the game out I assume it's mostly due to that.
    (Division 1 had similar problems but a update seem to have uncorked the bandwidth again and it's less borked now for returning players and newcomers. :p )

Uses an earlier AMD AGS .dll too so any D3D12 fun stuff as part of RDNA and later additions wouldn't be used anyway but the GPU could probably deliver solid performance via D3D12 if the games implementation was good and of course also stable.
    (Latest .DLL for AMD's little extension library is actually used for Breakpoint but it's D3D11 only so no chance of low-level API advantages here.)

Though said .dll isn't anything super huge or such, various development helpers and some extensions and stuff plus it'd have to use D3D12 and Vulkan and use these well to leverage the most out of the GPU's performance likely including pushing features that AMD works well with and then maintenance and work to ensure optimal compatibility with not just newer drivers but also newer GPU hardware.

It should still work and the drivers probably have plenty of tricks to where Vega and now Navi benefit in earlier VLK and D3D12 titles too but I would expect full support to be even better though it's not like games are worked on forever after launch either though with the service model now so popular that at least gives one year and possibly two.

Jackalito likes this.
  2. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Same thing with me. If you change drivers it will work 1 time and then it stops.

Dx11 only

Jackalito likes this.
  3. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm works once? Wonder if it's the shader cache then.

AMD's own would be in a folder here for D3D, OGL or VLK.
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\AMD

Division 2 uses it's own cache too.
    C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Tom Clancy's The Division 2\ShaderCache

Because of compatibility (And a bit OCD and neat and tidy and all that. :p ) I empty those out after every game update (Division 2's cache.) and driver update though a normal driver install routine should at least wipe the D3D shader cache.
    (Tends to outright delete the whole folder, curiously the VLK and GL cache folders are untouched.)

There's also some temp folder down the locallow path for something for VLK that AMD has but that might just be some temporary remaining code bit in the driver.

EDIT: That said though even with these emptied out and the config file set to D3D12 the game starts up, reverts to D3D11 and then continues though I am going to do a more thorough test once 19H2 for Windows 10 is out just in case.

I can see that several DirectX files were updated from .10019 to .10022 and .10024 which means the same holds up for the 18362 and 18363 Win10 cumulative updates and then possibly .456 and .458 or what they were on the insider channel coming out shortly after that with .458 probably fixing some important bit in the earlier test update.

But it might just be the game itself and whatever way they're using DX12 too and newer drivers.

EDIT: Also makes me curious how benchmarking and such is for this game but eh I assume they'd at least verify the game is properly using DX12 and running under this API before the score charts and all that are up and done. :D
    (Meaning it's not something broken for everyone, possibly.)

Jackalito likes this.
  4. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Thank you all for the insights and sharing your experience with me.

The funny thing is that The Division 2 works for me under DirectX 12 and I can play for hours, but with the aforementioned issue. Oh well, I'll have to stick with DX11 for this one.

Thanks, everyone :)

5. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    And on dx12 Amd has like 10 or 20 fps more. Just to add. 1440p my vega with HBCC goes over 9g Vram . most of the time sits at 8g.

OnnA likes this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

jimpsar likes this.
  8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

jimpsar likes this.
  9. paulco

paulco Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX6900XT
    New GVRX57XT installed (needed new RM850, 8yrs old hx850 not holding !2V stable for some time anymore).
    Thought the card was broke at first, so quiet to R9 390.
    So why not, applied to Vanguard testers (retired so plenty time to alpha test), and need a break from the nvidibots on AMD forum.

Now to save for a 1440p 120-144hz monitor (current 1080p/60hz).

10. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I wish more people would figure out what you did. That older PSU that worked previously may actually have issues with a new GPU as well using smaller PSU may also be an issue.

Good luck on you app.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dq2hfv/amd_navi_22_navi_23_graphics_chips_found_in_linux/

It appears Navi has two additional entries for Navi22 and Navi23 in the newer Linux drivers.

Now to see what Navi12 actually ends up being and what Navi20 to Navi23 ends up as once AMD unveils the actual cards and names for RDNA 2 probably later next year. :)

Jackalito likes this.
  12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Following Yeston's 580 GPU.
    [​IMG]

They've made a 5700XT customization.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dsuzi2/yeston_has_done_it_again_5700xt_waifu_edition/

[​IMG]

RGB everywhere.

EDIT: But it's a triple fan and seems to come with 2x 8-pins so it might actually be surprisingly capable even if it looks a bit thinner than competiting triple fan designs.
    (That means heat dissipation and thermals despite the RGB on everything advantage might fall a bit flat against the Red Devil and Nitro cards also sporting 3x fans.)

EDIT: Suppose it might not be the easiest to acquire but it'd be interesting to see a review of it, 580 one seemingly got reviewed so maybe some site will report on how it performs.

EDIT: Ah and one of the posts also links to what the backplate looks like.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Fox2232 and pharma like this.
  13. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    V56->64 (19.10.1/2)

1080, off,on: 30434, 14760
    1440, off,on: 20250, 9880

14. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Nice, V56 and V64 are very close. I think that AMD needs to optimize the drivers for this.

15. paulco

paulco Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX6900XT
    Ultra
    1080p off/on, 33356/20188
    1440p off/on, 21742/13106
    Driver 19.11.1

Wattman not enabled, no other oc/fan app.

16. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Jackalito, Maddness and JonasBeckman like this.
  17. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
  18. pogodancer

pogodancer Member

GPU:
    Sapp. Pulse 7900XT
    Sorry for being late for the party: as long as I can test it (two almost identicall systems diff rx 5700 vs rx590) it's driver related to Navi. The issue does not exist for rx 590 there is no stutter on polaris in dx12 and no crashes on exit. To not have a crash (blank screen) for quiting the game in dx11 you will have to stick with borderless fullscreen -> i have to do it also in rainbow six siege. The drivers dont like ubisoft games, maybe the december update will fix it

Jackalito likes this.
  19. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Thanks for sharing, fingers crossed.

20. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Just got a RX 5700 Mech OC (MSI) happy days :)