Half-Life: Alyx Announcement Trailer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Valve has followed through on their promise, revealing the first details of Half-Life: Alyx, a new installment in the Half-Life series that will require a virtual reality headset. The game will be fre...

Half-Life: Alyx Announcement Trailer

2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Looks great, wish it was nonvr too

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    What a disappointment.
    [​IMG]

Caesar, insp1re2600 and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. chalky

chalky Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090
    Not great news really V R only and i have no interest in it I can't get past those hands floating with no arms looks so strange

Thunk_It likes this.

5. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm a bit miffed this is only for VR. Also, I think they've waited too long since those excellent Half Life games to release another one....I think we have grown up & changed and no longer as connected to that excellent & epic experience that was Half Life.

EDIT: just a thought...if they do release another non-VR Half Life game, I think they would be able to reconnect with old audiences by getting them to replay sections of the old games in an updated graphics engine....maybe they could be replayed under the ruse of some kind of time travel aspect that would be incorporated into the new story/new game......they'd want to start the new game off with some epic or very characterful moments from the earlier games.

EDIT #2: an additional thought re the linear storyline nature of the previous Half Life games (& similar games). Wouldn't it be cool that instead of a predictable linear story line (that you progress through)...wouldn't it be cool if your actions influenced the future story in many ways, such as the state of cities (how they looked, how decayed or ravaged by war they were), or influenced the characters & outcomes...basically how life is changed by your actions (just as it is in our own). Maybe even how your own character looked...scars/disabilities/stress/disease...and the same for other characters in the story. That would add replay value. I suppose it could detract from the epicness/drama of any staged sequences/story lines. It would be different.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You are talking about HL2 with prettier graphics, not HL3. If they release such HL3 it will be disappointment. Valve already has cash grabbing games and platforms.

HL3 have to be more than just "pretty HL2 with rich story" to keep up to its standards. It has to blow everyones mind, like HL2 did.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Honestly, looks interesting. Still won't spend that kind of money for the VR headset.

Caesar likes this.
  8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm not saying they should just re-release HL2 with updated graphics....I'm saying they should include epic or characterful moments/stages from the last game in an updated graphics engine as part of the new game so as to reconnect with previous fans, it would be part of the storyline of the new game somehow. It's just an idea of course.

9. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    So churn out another remaster then? job done.

10. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Want to play HL:Alyx, wont pay "1k gold" for a VR set. :sadface:

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    If this has been a PC version Trailer, for sure GOOSEBUMPS. But whatsoever,
    I wont spend a fortune for a VR (Vertigo Reality) crap.

Solfaur likes this.
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    If they made this for PC, they would have to ensure that its a proper AAA title that would sell millions. Would also require a much bigger budget to develope. This to me looks a half-hearted attempt that is not PC-grade, but just interesting enough for them to sell the Valve Index.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Wouldn't they have to try several times as hard? Because effectively the cost of the game is $1000 and they have sell an experience to convince people to purchase? lol..

fantaskarsef and Caesar like this.
  14. JulianBr

JulianBr Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Well, you don't need to buy the 1000$ Valve Index to play it. Oculus Rift S goes for around 350 or you can just get an cheap mixed reality headset from Samsung or whatever for around 150-200. I do understand what you mean, but they are really doing this to push VR forward. I don't own a VR headset myself yet, but I have tried it several times, and it's fun, but there was no "full length" games that have made me consider buying one until now. Beat Saber and other games are fun (for a while) but it's not a game that makes you really want a VR headset. HL: Alyx may be worth it, if more games like this will come in the future. HL: Alyx is around 15 hours long btw (confirmed by @geoffkeighley)

Also, didn't Gabe confirmed a while back that they were working on 3 different VR games?

15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    OK I was testing cheap VR for PC and loved what it can do so far but the McGuyver model is tough but workable.

If Valve bundles this with their VR gear for 50% off Christmas sale, then I will hold that 4K OLED TV off.

The game looks great and if it comes with a SDK, I can imagine the community porting HL or Black Mesa and HL2 over to VR, then wow... would be worthwhile.. to me.

I believe AR is the future and it justs some top gear at mass pricing, under 500 USD, with decent specs, then it can. Maybe pickup a PS4 VR headset to try this on instead as I hear good things about that being real OLED but lower res than the Occulus.

16. go4brendon

go4brendon Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    So how much did oculus/htc pay steam to push this out?? ;)

17. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    HTC is Valve..at least partially and to this date their demo "the lab" is still the 1st thing you show to people new to VR so it's not like they don't know what they are doing

that said as a Vive owner 99,99% of the "games" are atrocious..so I have a really hard time to see that jaw-dropping visual quality (for VR) trailer translate into a real game, there's nothing looking that good in VR and nothing like a normal gamer would say "full feature" game, so they are selling a lot more than what VR offers today.
    And don't talk to me about skyrim or fallout 4 vr they are the most horrible experience I ever had in VR, it's VR vision (with bad world scaling) and played with something like not even a full but half a console gamepad, a gameplay based on pointing with a laser and clicking, not picking up items and an universally hated UI awful cheap VR ports

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    For a moment I thought it was 2004 again, gave me some nostalgic goosebumps...

Good old source engine getting a revive in VR looks like. I don't mind it, I like it even, but if they would make a non-VR Half Life game, they'd definitely need to update the engine for modern standards.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think this is what people fail to realize.

I keep seeing a lot of posts by people who clearly haven't experienced VR games saying stuff like "they should have simultaneously released this for non-VR" and I think in order to do that you have to make a bunch of compromises that lead to similar issues like you had with fallout and skyrim. There are a bunch of "do nots" for VR that work in regular games but don't work at all in VR and a bunch of things you can do in VR that don't work in a regular game. Trying to hit both experiences nullifies the advantages of both and gives a subpar experience across both. Building for one and trying to port for another creates a similar problem with the port.

Valve set out to create a AAA experience for VR to help bolster the market - I don't think they should compromise the experience for more game sales and cave to fans that are unwilling to try VR.

Presumably the game runs on Source 2, which is a modern engine with modern lighting, particle and shading techniques, etc. I just think the Half Life games have a distinct art style that they are trying to maintain here. Also because it's VR they have to hit 75+ FPS at a relatively high resolution across a wide variety of hardware for a good experience, so they are somewhat limited in terms of graphics.

Solfaur likes this.
  20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Looks crap by today's standards, thanks but no thanks, pass.