5700 XT racehorse on seditives ???

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Sebastian Lachmann, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Auto OC IS reaching the factory OC, sheesh!!

2. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Yes, sorry I misunderstood (had no time to read properly) but logically it should reach factory OC. However it will go beyond that and so will brake warranty.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  3. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    These FPS drops happen with even 60 FPS limit,... I use 144Hz. I do not play more than 60 tops in most games because there is no point if your not playing online FPS shooters where reaction time comes in very high. I just have radeon settings on default. In older games or CS GO I do use 145 FPS but these games work as good as normal.

4. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    I got a reply from Asus today, they could duplicate the fact that the card does not go to boost speed at all or even reaches the factory OC MODE setting, also another issue with blu-ray playback was recreated. They have sent this to the R&D department, so I assume those geniuses will fix these things.

Also had to direct them properly to the ingame experiences since they could not identify the FPS drops in some games by playing the tutorial :):):) Logically,...

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

5. Maybe just a defective card in lieu of other lingering issues coincidentally similar in descriptive nature... one can hope - I'd imagine ASUS RMA's center tested your card against a Known-Good card of their own prior to sending it to their RMA dept lol (One can only hope)

6. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    I do not understand your response. I think you misunderstood what I said.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  7. I understood - you just didn't get what I said. That's fine though

8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    No it wont break warranty at all,, overclocking is a selling point these days, may aswell see if it helps

9. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I didn't say Navi handles it same as previous generations. Lower is faster. Which is why I suggested it. Some things are worth trying.

Passus likes this.
  10. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Sometimes it isn't just the FPS you get.

Seems it is ASUS's fault(not AMD's after all). Should release an updated BIOS shortly, if it isn't your particular card.

11. I hope this helps simplify what I wrote earlier...

The RX 5700 XT has documented problems. I don't have one - I've skimmed here and there on the issue. I'm guessing possibly with gating; among other power efficiency aspects of the card. Despite that, everyone isn't as "gimped" to the severity you are. This isn't a systemic flaw; it'd affect every customer 24/7.

It's possible the known-bad issues are complicating diagnosing a defective 5700 XT you received/ASUS makes. Isolating the two may have been very hard to tell depending on what could be malfunctioning if that is the case. ASUS can run that card through their RMA process; I remarked they should attempt reproducing your issues on a known-good card of their own before sending to RND.

I intended a smaller way to fit all the above before; I suppose *shrugs* it came out as worded incorrectly?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2019
  12. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    I still think it's confusing what you wrote.

Simply said, Asus acknowledged the issues (they could reproduce them) I meantioned to them, they did tests with their own card, NOT mine, I still have it.

So if what you wrote states this it's fine with me :)

It's complicated English what you write.

"I remarked that they should immediately attempt reproducing your issues with your card & known-good card of their own."

should ? they did,...

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hardware video playback was messy on the earlier drivers and might still be, haven't looked it up but I got a few details from the forums over for MadVR on the state of the 5700 which wasn't entirely positive (August or early September I believe was when I looked that up.) and on top of that there's the ReLive issues with both stability and how it performs so VCN seems to need work. (The media capability of the GPU itself or how to say, new version new issues and drivers might not yet have fixed up some of it.)

For the clock speeds itself it feels like the GPU just goes too hard on lowering it's core clocks and the minimum state is almost outright ignored when using Wattman so trying to set it to the same or a shorter higher clocked range just doesn't work so for D3D9 and certain D3D11 titles and on lower workloads for the GPU even if it affects frametime and results in hitching or stuttering the GPU can drop clock speeds and the resulting framerate pretty hard.

Certain games or the way the driver works with these might be a bit broken though, generally it drops around the mid level from boost to game clock speeds but for the worst it drops to near idle meaning it stops registering entirely and the card is idling which should never happen regularly although CPU and other components and demand on these might also influence GPU behavior.
    (A more severe state of the CPU bottleneck perhaps though the way it drops seems very severe for being just that and if using a wrapper to Vulkan the issue is avoided entirely though at a performance hit as a result so something in the driver code here is doing something.)

Others are just very crash prone and sensitive, Witcher 3 and certain cutscenes can cause a display driver crash, Blood & Wine and something in the arena was mentioned as one that's easy to replicate and then there's Borderlands 3 though a patch due out tomorrow seems to have fixed up the D3D12 support enough to where this API is now the default so maybe this can be resolved.
    CS:GO and DOTA and Overwatch I think are all very CPU dependent and users try to hit 100's of framerate so probably putting more demand still on this if that's part of the problem at least.
    Destiny and Apex (Titanfall) I think stuttered but didn't drop down to near idle levels or crash at least from what I can find, Watch_Dogs 2 and Division 2 go here too likely from the CPU demand and possibly the GPU workload.
    (Tons of draw calls and geometry to process particularly on the higher settings.)

Assassin's Creed Odyssey and the Fate of Atlantis will also immediately crash when looking up and seeing the skyline or skybox for some reason, likely a driver issue with the DXGI/D3D10+ code and this is also resolved if using DXVK to wrap to Vulkan instead though at a performance hit.

And probably others, overall if AMD has a fix it'd be nice to see it backported to the current driver branch but if the changes to the December driver are going to be extensive it might not be easily separated from the rest so we'll see though six months is really pushing it for a issue that's been around since the GPU launched.

And other lingering problems, shame there's no hotfix branch they can roll out WIP fixes for but that'd probably complicate the release system and drivers and there's already the Vanguard program assuming these users can replicate or hit these problems at least which might not always be the case though the FPS fluctuations should be universal depending on API used and some games just drop far worse than others though it includes a few popular bigger online titles so testing and replicating on AMD's side shouldn't be that difficult.

Well it would be a bit complicated with barely tested public drivers like that, hopefully it taking time means there's some improvement when the newer drivers jump to a higher branch with more extensive code changes than support for some upcoming title and some few specific bug fixes not that they haven't fixed several Navi GPU issues already but other issues have lingered a bit by this point.
    (Good hardware and all when it does work but how would one even recommend "It might work well." for a 400+ US Dollar / Euro GPU compared to either going with Polaris or Vega or a NVIDIA model.)

Said popularity would also push for a quicker fix if it's possible, popularity is a motivating force after all for these bigger titles and having good support and rep on how your hardware and the drivers stack up or a lack thereof.
    (Which the player base will certainly point out.)

EDIT: Some editing but in short there are certain issues and it's taking a bit of time and there is no real proper fix other than testing and with some less than ideal potential workarounds that *might* help but maybe not fully and going with downsampling, pushing the settings and even wrapping to a different API are just trying to mitigate or avoid the issue not fix it and it kinda needs to be resolved properly so hopefully that does happen. :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Sebastian Lachmann likes this.
  14. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Let's hope so. I want to finally use it properly :)

15. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Would it not be easier on the short run to just add a option like Nvidia to just cancel the whole power saving ? I know it will consume more power but it will just be when playing that specific game and the issue would be solved I assume and the computer engineers can solve it properly on a long time frame.

16. Now it's just getting confusing - I'm confusing myself. This is getting.... very annoying. All I was trying to say was that I think it's your card specifically or their card (as in possibly the SKU) and not the RX 5700 XT as a whole. How you managed to bungle that up is beyond me. The way someone explains anything isn't that hard to tell if given some attention and time. Not everyone is perfect in the context of their language all the time. Like the quote. Obviously I'm trying to spell it out for you what I wrote earlier - making it even more annoying that you're now nitpicking the "this that then could woulda shoulda" when you never wrote in this thread if you even sent them your card or not. Dude no offense but what is going on... what are you ... so off about... don't play ignoramus like you're confused and make everything need to be spoonfed to you. I don't care what response you muster, people like you get annoying fast.

17. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    ok, it's fine. It's just easier for non guru status people I assume to understand if you write everything in the full. Maybe for you it's easy to understand all you write, no idea what your background is, however I'm not occupying myself with computer tech issues all the time. I do not know how you think and also not the short words you use,...

If I did not tell something it's because it did not happen or because I'm not aware it's needed to be known by people that are interested in solving issues.

No hard feelings :)

18. It’s not on anyone to explain how they speak; no one owes a stranger anything apart from abiding by the forum policy against profanity etc. My English is fine - don’t be daft.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2019
  19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Here is what you do. Use Auto OC and apply it. A popup screen will tell you the range it found for your card. If it's something you are not comfortable with you can revert the change without ever using it in game.
    I cannot say what that range is. I'm not trying to be funny about it. I simply don't know. You have to try it and see for yourself.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Depends on what is throttling it and since the performance at the mot severe cases drop to below 100 Mhz it's gone from just reducing demand to not having any demand at all meaning the card is spending moments idling and waiting so that couldn't be forced by pushing a higher minimum clock speed or as the prior cards operated locking P6 or P7 as the minimum state allowed though these had moments of idleness themselves but less stuttering but they were still there even if the GPU remained on the same clock speeds.

That's what I presume needs to be resolved or at least improved though some delay or setting for how quickly the GPU does clock down when it's operating as intended and just lowering from a lower demand could also help in cases where it's fluctuating with very high framerate figures which would produce more noticeable stuttering and feelings of generally not being very smooth anymore for how the user experiences these swings in performance so there is probably at least two separate issues with two different solutions required although that is just a theory from how much it does drop in some situations and the most likely explanation for as to why it happens (GPU is idle and waiting.) not just the other thing about how the GPU is simply winding down because of a perceived less demanding workload even if this also results in interrupted smoothness due to larger drops in framerate and the result on frame time meaning it just feels like it's chugging or stuttering even if it's brief moments only.