AMD Launches Radeon Pro W5700 Based on 7nm NAVI

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The AMD Radeon Pro W5700 graphics card is powered by Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q4, AMD’s enterprise-grade software that is stress-tested to be ready for demanding 24/7 environments, with...

AMD Launches Radeon Pro W5700 Based on 7nm NAVI

2. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Weird how they use the cut down version of the Navi gpu instead of the full fat 40 CU gpu.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    because it's the inexpensive 57** serie, not the big one.
    there will be higher model.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I am going to claim "False advertising" here based on the USB C claim, this card is a
    Quadro competitor,

Quadro RTX beat it to having a usb-c port.

Nice try AMD, but BS is BS.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019

5. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I'm wondering about this... Looking into the Qaudro, Nvidia use the VirtualLink standard for their USB-C or rather more accurately, Type-C port/connector and it seems that port will only operate in a VirtualLink configuration or Displayport configuration and they don't market it specifically as a USB port and seemingly, you can't use standard usb-c cables, or rather usb-c cables that have unshielded usb2 wires and depending on the use of the port, orientation of the cable may not be reversible either? (Quirk of VirtualLink? I've never used or seen VirtualLink in operation so I can't really comment if this is true or not) but this is at least what the wikipedia page says anyway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualLink

This press release though, AMD are marketing the port specifically as a USB-C high speed port rather than as a VirtualLink port, perhaps this AMD card may be able to connect other devices or act as a USB host? Is it possible for the Port on the Quadro to act as a USB host?

So, anyone with experience or knowledge of graphics cards with Type-C ports, can they be used as a standard USB host? Or only under certain situations, such as video output etc?

Edit: Or it could just be meant to reference that it's AMDs first card with a USB Type-C in which case the press release would need to be amended in that case.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Virtualink IS an altmode

the USB Root controller is a standard USB 3.x device with all usb3 features, it can connect HMD's, USB3 hubs, storage adapters, controllers, phones, input devices and as its a Type C with a Type C PPM driver, it can handle the reversible cabling just dandy.

The only thing nvidia's doesn't do is Thunderbolt.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...c-port-on-rtx-graphics-cards-isnt-just-for-vr

This is AMD trying to pull the wool.

AMD aren't that careless.

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I wonder why Nvidia just market it as VirtualLink then? And not as a full blown USB port? Perhaps because of support? Such as Nvidia supporting only specific usage of the port? AMD in this instance could be supporting wider usage of the port for other applications.

Edit: When I say support, I mean, in an official capacity, what either company allow and intend for the device usage

This is why I'm wondering, to make quite a bold claim, there must be more to it (but mistakes/errors in press releases have occurred in the past).

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    AMD is not major actor in pro segment, the market is nearly only NVidia.
    But since 2 generation of card they get really better, sadly the pro consumer isn't as easy as main consumer.
    They will have to stay outsider a while to be considered as a real alternative.