5700 XT racehorse on seditives ???

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Sebastian Lachmann, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Hi,

So I upgraded my GPU last week, since day 1 I had problems.

Sadly it constantly wants to save power in all games, this causes massive FPS drops in some making them unplayable. It goes down to like 50 mhz or even lower sometimes, it's like a roller coaster,... I'm convinced this will even damage/where off the card much faster because the strain it puts on some parts of the card.

I already have read about this and already complained to my supplier, AMD, and Asus.

Is there a way to stop power saving crap ?

I just came from Nvidia and never had these issues.

Do you have knowledge of a tool that can block this or stop this ?

So my card goes to stock frequency minimum and actually goes up when needed and boosts ?

My card never even boosts,... Not even during benchmarking, no I do not have power issues, temperature issues,...

Using latest drivers/bios/windows updates

Thanks

Sebastian

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    connos likes this.
  2. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Although it's a knowing issue with current drivers, make sure you are using two separate PCIe cables to power the card, as that can help.

3. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Thanks for the input, already doing that. My old Nvidia card uses more power and oc's fine and is stable,...

4. Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019

5. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Thank you :)

Yes I found this tool also, thought it would save me, however sadly it does nothing for the new drivers and card. It only works on "old" ones I assume. I tryed all blocking methods. There is no apply button rigtht ? Via the task bar I just set it to block and it should work ?

Maybe this can be updated to work with the new cards ?

6. Since I haven't used that tool I'd recommend one of the fellow Gurus in the thread.

5700 XT is a tricky one. I've heard bizarre reports regarding it and powermanagement/gating/boost. Another thought would be using Afterburner to disable Ultra Low Power State (ULPS).

from Toms Hardware: "Current draw over the PCIe slot’s +12V rail lands well below its 1.1A/pin maximum and with the card drawing less than 20Amps on the 12V rails at peak it's hard to find a fault in the average power supply out there. AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT gets most of its power from the PCIe slot’s +12V rail at idle, followed by the slot’s +3.3V rail. Power over the auxiliary connectors is kept to a minimum. 5700 XT averages less ... 225W board power specification & 243W peak."

As a temporal "band-aid" Perhaps consider checking your power plan and disabling any mention of PCI Express Link State Power Management?

UPDATE:
    It's a known-bad issue AMD hasn't replied to as a company: publicly EDIT: per below (https://www.feedback.amd.com/se/5A1E27D26EC93747)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dcz9k6/5700_xt_not_game_boosting_as_it_should_in_games/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/d65xc0/its_become_apparent_that_the_5700xt_is_broken_at/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019
  7. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    I have a 1000W power supply. I already used the MSI afterburner trick, it changes nothing. I'm using the high power plan of windows, the PCI Express Link State Power Management is OFF.

Thanks for troubleshooting though :)

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  9. Nice find dude!

10. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT

11. Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2019
  12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Have you tried using Auto Overclock yet?

13. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    I just have the card, I'm not going to mess around with anything,... Let AMD fix there product,...

The only thing I would consider is disabling power saving,...

14. No joy with the driver that released earlier today? :(

15. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    I do not play fortnite, sadly that seems to be the only thing they changed so I did not bother to "update" it.

Most problems I have with games I have installed now (I have a large library) are in :

- TC GH Wildlands - rarely a FPS drop but very playbable
    - The Witcher 3 : rarely a FPS drop but very playbable
    - CS GO - small FPS drops now and than at the start of round in some maps but very playable
    - Depth - Large FPS drops in some maps unplayable / gameplay braking
    - Primal Carnage Extinction : Extreme FPS drops in some maps and unplayable in some maps

For the rest the games I have currently installed work without issues however I have lot's of them and play them randomly, when I finish 1 offline game I go the next mostly.

16. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Auto OC It applies an OC for you (based on a range). You don't have to do anything to the card. All you do is enable the OSD in game to see what the clock rates are (if it boost at all). From my understand it would rid you of any "power saving" you think the card is doing.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  17. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Try limiting Tessellation to 6x/8x - Globally and for each of the poorly performing games(just in case). Turn on(or off, if on) Enhanced Sync.
    Can also play with Frame Rate Target Control(try 4 less than highest refresh rate, since it jumps up at times...). Globally.
    I had bad stutters in Dota 2, for example, before fixing it this way(240 FPS Max in-game setting).

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    RDNA doesn't have the issues that vega and earlier had, limiting the tesselation factor should no longer be needed.

Maddness likes this.
  19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Vega should also work reasonably well as should Polaris though Vega did still have issues with being what was it called front end loaded I think so good at shader and compute but the workload was difficult to get properly optimized for the Wave64 operation and getting all cores active plus the ROP's and that for certain types of calculations which I believe is why MSAA was quite a heavy hitter for this GPU.

Raster limitations and overall issues with geometry and such at least compared to competing GPU's though it's the efficiency and core inactivity that seems to be the real limiting issue with Vega 56 and 64 and also Radeon VII even if that one has less of a memory bottleneck which has also been a thing.

Fury had problems though so tessellation at 16x or even lower could be a performance boost when capped (Sometimes introducing visual glitches though.) but a driver update changed something in how tessellation was handled so while still demanding it improved things somewhat however the newer cards resolve it better still. :)
    Been a while since I read up on it though, Navi overall has other advantages as well though this current problem with the clock speeds will need to be resolved plus the other issue with the GPU shutting down. (Unrecoverable black screen crashes.)

Both of these can be worked around via wrappers though anti cheat software will prevent this for certain games and the wrapping to Vulkan comes with a roughly 20% or so performance hit or thereabouts since it's a translation layer for D3D9,10,11 to Vulkan instead of native Vulkan support.

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases
    https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9vk/releases

Which also pretty much points to a driver software issue for both of these although prior driver releases already mostly confirmed this fixing some driver crashes and listing others problems under known issues. :)
    (Technically intended for Linux but works on Windows as well in most cases even if it's not 100% supported or intended for use on Windows.)

EDIT: Still reading though and trying to learn more on how it all works but it's not really going to lead to much more and a lot is speculative and AMD isn't really saying much.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Sebastian Lachmann likes this.
  20. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    What's the point of OC if the thing does not even reach it's factory OC,... I'm not gonna void warranty because of this or even try anything, 1st I want a properly functioning card like it's been sold to me.