5700 aggressive downclock behavior workarounds

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by connos, Oct 9, 2019.

1. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Is this behaviour in new drivers too?
    I have plan to upgrade son's PC from vega64 to 5700xt, and I would rather see upgrade than downgrade in terms of smoothness...
    Personally I have radeon7 and latest November drivers are fine, opposite to September or October crap....

2. shrewm

shrewm Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 660m 2gb
    Yes I´ve got stutter in different games with 19.11.2 and 19.9.2

3. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Yes is there with all the drivers I tested so far and there is no way to avoid it but only to improve it with some games. BFV on 5700xt for example is worse than my 480. 480 is butter smooth but the 5700xt stutters a lot. Some say that the cards that behave like that are defective but there are not, Red dead 2 plays and feels amazing, no crashes not stuttering. I bet I can make every 5700 to downclock and stutter in bfv with the wright settings, all settings low, frame render ahead disable, 1080p and play multiplayer. The card stays at 750mhz only and its very stuttery. I notice that gpu usage bellow 70% is problematic. Games that are mention to be problematic are CS, Apex, Unreal games, LOL, Destiny 2 and dx9 games. Also frame limiters, dynamic resolution, frame render ahead, chill or any other option that reduces the cards usage is adding to the issue.

The good news is that AMD mention this problem in the know issues section with their latest drivers so a fix is coming and that also proves to some people that is not a hardware problem.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  4. shrewm

shrewm Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 660m 2gb
    Actually that odd. I get a lot of stutter in RDR2 with DX12 and Vulkan (DX12 has additional other issues though I think its the games fault) but my BFV runs absolutely perfect. I run it with everything max, resolution scale 110% on a 75 hz monitor

5. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    But you run the game with max settings thats why. You dont allow the card to downclock.

With RDR2 and vulkan is perfect. No crushes no sttutering.

6. shrewm

shrewm Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 660m 2gb
    I understand the BFV thing but RDR2 stutters for me no mather what. Vulkan also stutters, no matter if ultra or low graphics settings. Hopefully thats something the next driver or rockstar can fix. Do you own kingdom come deliverance? That also stutters on my machine, even in low fps (<60) areas

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  7. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Whith RDR2 did you try the bellow:

Added an additional launch argument (-cpuLoadRebalancing) to rebalance workload on the CPU cores and avoid hitting an edge-case in certain NVIDIA graphics card drivers that causes significant stalls on 4-core and 6-core CPUs

Also did you try to delete the settings folder in Documents\rockstar

I dont have kingdom come deliverance.

8. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    If you have problems with games that have high gpu usage you problem is somnething else.

9. shrewm

shrewm Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 660m 2gb
    Heaven Benchmark stutters no matter if I run it on low settings in 1280x720 (300fps avg.) or ultra settings 2560x1080. (100 fps avg.). It´s not an "my PC is too slow somewhere". It´s the usual framedrops a lot of people have. I really hope AMD fixes this stuff soon. It´s so annoying

With RDR2 I tried everything. Sadly that commandline doesn´t do anything for most people. It fixes the 3-6 second pauses the game did when using a nvidia gpu paired with a very fast singlecore CPU like the 9900k. Nevertheless I tried it but it didn´t do anything for me.

10. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    All benchmarcks run very whell on my PC and show nice results. Also they run very smotth. Only low gpu usage games, frame limiters, chill etc have problems

11. shrewm

shrewm Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 660m 2gb
    Thats odd because everyone who tested it on reddit owning a 5700xt said they have the same stutters in heaven. Maybe you can give it a go if you have some spare time:

12. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I will test it and let you know

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Heaven always has a specific stutter near the beginning of the demo on the first loop.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  14. he he. sorry for laughing - just watched that video and it made me wonder how much of this stuff is false positive with so many 5700 XT owners flipping out over power bugs. .... "everyone on reddit" man whoever is on your thread out to establish comparatives more?

15. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Its a dx9 demo and people also reported problems with dx9 games.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Heaven has dx9, 10, 11 and opengl.

all of them stutter at the beginning.

17. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I will check

18. shrewm

shrewm Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 660m 2gb
    How do you explain stutter with 300fps+ ?

For me it still stutters after four rounds. Btw I just tried OpenGL and it stutters less.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Locked IO resource loading.
    Rendering stops until data is loaded, processed and ready for rendering.

20. shrewm

shrewm Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 660m 2gb
    So whats the best way to fix this?