Display/monitor goes off and on

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by testcy, Oct 24, 2019.

1. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I am using an RX560 4GB and a Samsung 4K monitor with the latest drivers and everything seems to work with DisplayPort (1.2). When using HDMI (2.0) the display/monitor goes off and on randomly for 1-2 seconds (or sometimes turns to green/shows static). I am using 3840x2160 at 60Hz. The problem seems to be related with the one described in the following link:

https://community.amd.com/thread/205187

The problem does not happen when using 3840x2160 at 30Hz.

I can live without HDMI, but I am wondering if this a driver or a display hardware problem.

Also, if I should rule out the monitor completely.

Can anyone help?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  2. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Roll back the drivers to 19.7.5 and hopefully your problems will be gone. AMD have terrible drivers right now. Embarrassing for them. Disgraceful.

3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    19.7.1 is latest working drivers with my RX580.. AMD forgotten us

4. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I have this problem for almost a year now and I tested all drivers released. Drivers 19.7.5/19.7.1 were released in July, so they shouldn't make a difference.

5. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    You know my monitor is a Samsung and I had the same. I'm now connected via HDMI. I have gone from 10 Bit colour and 144Hz, down to 8 Bit colour and 120Hz. I first thought it was a power supply issue. I bought a gold-rated 750 Watt PSU and that seemed to fix my problems until I cranked up modern titles. It failed in the way you describe.

I have had no issues using an HDMI cable. As soon as I switch back to display port 1.2 (my card is 1.4 does that matter?) I get the black screens and monitor no signal. I'm going to buy a different brand. Samsung screens are possibly the cause of this?

6. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I wrote above that 30Hz appears to work, but it's not really usable so reducing the refresh rate is not a solution. Also note that I don't get a no signal message when the display/monitor goes off, but the HDMI and port number does appears every time the display/monitor goes on. I don't really know what else to try other than switch to DisplayPort and forget about HDMI.

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Sounds like a bandwidth issue?

Do you have HDMI Link Assurance enabled in drivers? Sometimes this can cause problems more than it solves, here's a quote from the drivers that describes its function
    "HDMI Link Assurance: Brings your display to the next lower link speed to avoid link problems"
    So, at high bandwidth (so 4k60hz) HDMI Link Assurance might be cutting the bandwidth needed.

Are you using a HDMI 2.0 certified cable?

And lastly, you could always try using CRU and editing the HDMI and HDMI 2.0 extension blocks and increase the TMDS clock and the TMDS character rate respectively (whether or not this will work or if there will be any danger in doing this I cannot say unfortunately).

8. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    HDMI Link Assurance doesn't seem to make a difference. I do use a HDMI 2.0 certified cable (the one that came with the monitor and one that I bought just to make sure). I have not tried CRU.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019