Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Apr 13, 2019.

1. And yet even in Return of the Jedi much happened between Vader and his own son without the knowledge or approval of the Emperor to the extent of which his lust for power blinded his ability to see & Luke when confronting him stated the same thing. Had Palpatine known how conflicted Vader had become by the time of the final battle; I highly doubt he'd have tried to kill his only living child in front of him; knowing this would likely spark a negative reaction. In the end; his own death. Or at least when we were younger.... Such were simpler days.

Before the Retcon! before the daark times ;) dada daaaaaaaa :).

EDIT: My point being it's not a stretch to presume the rule of two violated without the Master knowing. Also the way the rule of two would live on or a Apprentice would supersede a Master in the rule of two would be to kill them or vice versa. Thus an Apprentice having one's own Apprentice prepared is not an illogical stretch in the rule of two.

Zenoth likes this.
  2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Battlefront 2's campaign is horrible by comparison to Fallen Jedi's, so you don't have to worry about that. And yes, the what where when why and how of Second Sister's backstory is explained in detail, and it makes sense I suppose from a logical perspective. I don't know if the Inquisitors' function is part of the main canonical story though, as I'm not knowledgeable enough about that. From what I can gather from the movies, Vader was the one that was directly tasked by the Emperor to hunt down and kill surviving Jedi, and it was something he did alone without support.

But with the Inquisitors added, I think it makes more sense and fits the overall narrative much better than just Emperor Palpatine and Vader being the only two dark side users against the Jedi. I don't know how many Jedi survived the purge as that information is not given, but it must have been more than a handful. It makes sense that Vader would have a team of dark side Force users at his disposal to make the job easier.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Zenoth likes this.
  3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The Second Sisters are more fleshed out in the comics that follow, story wise, after Episode 3.
    With there being a large group of them, operating along side Vader... and not really respecting him. As he is not the all powerful "Lord" Vader at that point.

Zenoth likes this.
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have to say that after playing this superb game for about 11 or 12 hours now, that this is easily the best game EA have released in years. I absolutely love the mix of exploration, puzzling and Star Wars lightsabre combat even if not having the ability to throw the lightsabre at enemies a la The Force Unleashed is a little disappointing (or have I just not unlocked that ability yet?).

The level design is excellent if a little confusing at times not helped by the Metroid Prime 3D map that doesn't really help that much in navigating the layout. There are lots of different paths you can explore even if ultimately the aim is always to get from point A to point B to trigger the next cutscene. The game reminds me heavily of the revamped Tomb Raider games when it comes to the puzzles (though Lara never had the use of the Force to slow down time and push/pull things!) and the only thing I'm not so keen on is the Dark Souls-esque save system, mainly because it breaks the immersion having enemies respawn in the exact same places and having the same animation loops playing for things like the two creatures nipping at a Stormtroppers legs or a creature pushing a Stormtrooper off a cliff.

I can see why the developers did it, to give the game more of a challenge but it doesn't always work. Jedis are supposed to be powerful beings that are only challenged by other Jedis with similar skills but in this game most of the enemies you fight are creatures and Stormtroopers, some of which take numerous hits to finish off and most of which are unnaturally good at parrying (how do they parry a laser sword though exactly???).

Also, while the level design itself is well done and fascinating to explore, each of the worlds does end up feeling a bit gamey and less like a real place with invisible walls and bottomless drops all over the place. There are a few wide open areas but most of the game compromises of paths, corridors and slides which don't help sell the environment as a believable location. Maybe that's just me though?

Anyway, those gripes aside, the game is excellent. It might not have much originality but it borrows from some of the best games of recent times and manages to create something that is fun and exciting to play. While I would personally love to see a Star Wars game in the style of Mass Effect (or Knight of the Old Republic), this action-puzzle game is a welcome return to form after the disappointment of the last two Battlefront games that offered nothing for solo players.

P.S. The only technical issue I've experienced with this game is 0.5-1 second stutters while traversing the levels, which are presumably data streaming related. The game is installed to an SSD. While not game ruining or anything like that, it is nevertheless somewhat immersion breaking and even occurs on the consoles (where it can freeze for much longer periods!).

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

5. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Aha nice I should give it more of a go then, thanks :)

6. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    So... any word on how long the campaign is? It seems to be a very good game (which is a first for SW under EA, the multiplayer ones be damned), but I want the price tag justified by the length. Also, how's difficulty? The previews looked piss easy, but apparently they were played on "story" difficulty.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hope a patch will fix this.

I've read that it's some 20hrs for a normal run and about 30hrs if you're aiming for 100%.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Well im unpacking the game, just to check out the config files.

RIP disk space

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah I read the same... now I'm wondering, am I joining the dark side buying this game now, or the light?

10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Normal isnt fun to play, as there is hardly any challenge to the game, which makes it a breeze to play through. might as well watch streamers play or watch youtube because you will basicly throw away money like that.
    I think hardest for the masochist (like me) , or just one before if you like a challenge (sort of like dark souls settings, which isnt hard, but challenging) would be the best setting.

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Jedi Knight difficulty is the default normal difficulty and I found that fine to a certain point then, like Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro, it gets tedious dying repeatedly against the tougher enemies, especially as this game isn't afraid to throw half a dozen or more opponents at you, some using flamethrowers, laser guns and missiles. When you lose experience, which is what unlocks skills, then it becomes too hard to resist lowering the difficulty. At least you have the option.

Yes, I should "git gud" but there's a challenge to be had if you want it. Me though, I ended up lowering the difficulty to Story Mode to get past a boss after about 4 or 5 hours of playtim and have pretty much left it there so I can focus on the exploration. While I do feel a bit of a cheat for doing so, on reflection Cal is supposed to be a Jedi so it makes sense that he should be able to carve through most enemies like butter, certainly the dumb animal life, and only be challenged by enemies such as the bosses and other Force-equipped enemies.

If Respawn really did want this to be a Souls-like experience then they really should not have added a difficulty option (From Software don't). That said, I am eternally glad they did as I just do not have the patience these days to spend hours learning how to time parries and what not, not when there are so many other games I want to play as well. Playing it on Story mode actually enhances the feeling of being a powerful Jedi IMO, far more so than the Jedi Knight setting. Again, maybe that's just me trying to justify using it!

Dragam1337 likes this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    At some point when a publisher is trying something new one has to forgive and forget :) Yes, EA has so many "wrongs" in their books it's crazy but they do seem to try to make some amends with this game so it's a start :)

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah... tbh, I think I'll get the game. But I installed Sekiro again lately, and boy, I SUCK at such a game... still don't want to go "story mode"... but yeah, I think this can't wait until Christmas vacation time

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well i am glad that they included the difficulty slider - i don't care much about the combat... for me it's all about the exploration and platforming :)

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Well i like a challenge , defeating that boss after a hour of trying instead of within 15 minutes gives me more pleasure. I cant justify a game purchase if im breezing through it. I rather play 5-6 games with 120hr game play each in a year then 20 games with 25hrs of game play,
    That way i enjoy and appreciate games much more and make things much more memorable.

Personally i hated Sekiro, it wasn't like dark souls of Bloodborne. i didn't enjoy it one bit. for as dark souls games and Bloodborne I played through each one multiple times. They really aren't hard, its just about learning enemy positions and attacks. they are always the same. you will need to grind though, so maybe that is not your thing. I personally love grinding, since i discover how to go faster and faster though a level without dying. or to see what works and what doesn't.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's funny how people who love hard games always claim that dark souls aint hard xD

I reckon the vast majority would argue otherwise though ;)

Passus, cerebus23 and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Don't have the game so can't test, but sometimes TAA is included in postprocessing (TAA blurs the whole image, btw, as per your post).

TAA is a huge bandwidth hog (as it operates off the previous and current frame) and this will have an impact on SLI performance. Grab Nvidia Inspector and turn on SLI bus bandwidth monitoring. Any game with TAA will pump this from ~10% bus usage on average to 40-50% usage.

The go to here for SLI frames is to disable TAA and utilise another in-game AA method or use Reshade to inject another method. Or use TAA in-game if you're still getting the framerate cap you desire.

18. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Because DS really isn't hard, when you get to know it. It has nothing to do with grinding, apart from souls if you want to overlevel for a boss. In the original game, most of the bosses allow AI NPC summons (which help, and can even make some bosses into a joke - Man-Eater Mildred can solo Quelaag with you just watching). Most of the difficulty comes from learning the attacks of the enemies, and their placement. After you know that, the next play through (not new game+++++, etc.) becomes much easier - because now you've familiarised yourself with it, and mostly learned to be patient and keep cool. If you run around willy-nilly, then yes, you're going to die. Patience and some thought is needed with this game, but that's because most modern games don't require it. Most people don't like that, and simply want to turn down the difficulty, so that they don't need to spend time actually learning to play.

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well the game has a seperate AA setting, but it only allows you to set the strenght of taa, not disable it.

The blur from postprocessing was due to depth of field constantly being slightly active with the epic settings... sadly setting it to anything else than epic also disables bloom.

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    "Most people don't like that"

Is pretty much the essense of it.