Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Hurray! The desktop shortcut now works (and it was pretty ridiculous that it didn't in the first place).

Seriously though, there are some nice fixes in those patch notes and at least we didn't have to wait too long for it. I'm going to try that CPU rebalancing command to see if it improves performance in towns for me. The game is about 99.5% smooth for me with the odd split-second hiccup or stutter from time to time, usually when traversing the landscape at speed on horseback otherwise it is runs great.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    styckx likes this.
  2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    My son got GTA V a year or so back just for the online. He's never touched "story mode". Perhaps I'll give GTA Online a shot yet. He may also like RDR2 for the online as well. Once it's cheaper.

3. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    following

4. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Sounds great, anyone has a TS3 server or something? Might be up for regular sessions if we would be playing at the right time. (German timezone here)

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Here more in-depth look at different settings.
    IMO best is to have Mixed High/Ultra (one or more at Medium) using VLK Api.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Hard to say. Fps varies so much can't really make any claim either way.
    And I never had any stutters on dx12.

7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    This is probably why the graphics settings were reset, unless they make future changes to this I doubt it’ll be a problem with future updates.

8. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I'd say that is what happened to a lot of gamers that couldn't launch the game. Their PCs weren't able to run the too high default settings, or they changed the settings to 'ALL ULTRAAAAAA' at the start screen and then the game loaded and crashed.

9. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I've mentioned a few times here I'm up for online play if anyone else is interested. I beat the SP on console so I'm only playing online.

I'm already over lvl 40 as I've been playing a lot, but I have no problem helping out people starting out -- makes the grind easier.

jbscotchman likes this.
  10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF

11. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yup this issue plagued GTA O from the day of it's release. I would say I am shocked that they allowed this rubbish to also affect RDR2.... and then I remembered it's Rcokstar.

12. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I noticed that "settings" in the menu is now greyed out for about 30 seconds or so on launching the game? Quite odd.

Still haven't fixed support for the official Sony DS4 wireless receiver, having to use a generic bluetooth dongle to get the controller working wirelessly ingame with DS4 icons.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's gonna be a while before this game is playable as an sli user... if it ever happens.

14. Forceflow

Forceflow Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Can you successfully launch the game from Steam with that shortcut? I get a game crash when I launch it from Steam :( (even with overlay disabled)

15. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Quite the changelog there, looking forward to getting home later and seeing if the stuttering is gone. It was better after the last patch but still occurs a bit, much more when using vulkan so I'm on dx12 currently.

Since the first patch sorta fixed the stutter my biggest gripes have to do with game mechanics and not performance. Some mechanics seem over simplified or nonsensical, such as Arthur saying hes terrible with a bow yet I can get long range headshots no issues as if he is an olympic archer. Or the fact that Arthur seems like some terminator that can absorb a lot of damage while wrecking everyone else...but its a rockstar game so this was expected on some level.

Besides all of that, and finally getting iron sights to work (had to use default keybind even after remapping it) the game is amazing and is by far the best game I have payed full price for in many years. Really enjoying SP, still on chapter 2 with 20+ hours in. Taking my time exploring and finding random stuff to do.

16. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    If you want a console like experience but with the highest graphics settings consider this:

Vulkan API
    Refresh Rate 60
    Enable G-Sync in the NVCPL
    Enable Ultra low latency mode in the NVCPL (not sure if this works in Vulkan or DX12)
    Enable half V-Sync in the game's settings
    Enable Triple Buffering
    Set Quality preset level to MAX

Now you have the game running at a consistent 30 FPS. Thanks to G-Sync with perfect frame times.
    IMHO, a consistent frame rate is more important then a higher frame rate and frame times that are all over the place.
    Some of you might not like this, but this way even a somewhat older GPU can run this game with ultra graphics and a consistent framerate.

Redemption80 likes this.
  17. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    HDR detection still broken, tree tessellation nice feature but cost me 9-10fps, no thx. Practically no improvements for me :D.

18. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    DX12 dont have HDR option, Vulkan does ?

19. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Went to the river near valentine, caliban's seat area. Tried the tree tessellation with all the trees there and lost like 30+fps lol

angelgraves13 likes this.
  20. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    It was because they added tree tesselation in the graphics settings. It's in GTA5 also. They have to reset the graphics because it won't be in the xml file in the game saves. So when you reset the graphics settings, it overwrites the xml file and adds any new features.

Deleted member 109358 likes this.