Netflix halts supporting Samsung and other televisions from 2010 and 2011

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 11, 2019.

1. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The point of this news article is that those old TVs can today be used for piracy because of some kind DRM non compliance they have.
    Is unclear if is missing this kind of implementation on the inputs, that would make those TV not usable with netflix also with external players.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Isn't it like, technically, an older HDMI cable or an older browser version already invalidates the latest DRM standards? I've had this when using my HTPC to play SinCity 2 via amazon prime, it simply refused to play due to DRM issues.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    4k fire stick

[​IMG]
    problem solved.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If only we could get all those with one device in Europe... here in Austria, I'd only get amaon prime, youtube and netflix right now (all of which have apps in my TV already), and possibly Disney+ in March 2020. No signs of HBO, hulu, would love to have those, even without any synchronisation.
    Also, sadly, you buy a new kick ass TV for hundreds of € or $ or pounds, and yet you need another device to play those.
    Which is quite poor in regards to the TV companies and their software efforts.

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Smart TVs weren't that common back then, were they? I feel like they took off a couple years later. The smart functions would be punishingly slow to use in 2019.

I don't think our first Roku is quite that old either. It's already a bit obsolete anyways.

As Airbud just posted, just get a fire stick or a roku. Done.

6. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    I'm surprised it took this long for this to happen. Smart TV's were a gimmick. The smart part is just an embedded iOT device that will eventually like all iOT devices become obsolete and vulnerable. Unless the manufacture built in some sort of upgradeable over the air firmware to maintain the device it becomes a liability to the consumer not to mention it will lose performance over time compared to newer devices. The best solution for all televisions is to just get a cheap external device that you can toss when it becomes old or vulnerable, rinse and repeat.

7. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Pretty much all Samsung TV's have upgradable apps, have done for years. Mine certainly are. It's still easier to use it for Prime and iPlayer than a second device.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This, what @Richard Nutman said. Practically everything on a smart TV is upgradable these days, software wise. This is planned obsolescence to some extent.
    I can imagine older smartTV models not being fast enough to decode 8K (let alone the panel not having it etc.), but honestly, they should just offer access with lower resolution in such a case.

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Cool video about subject

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Everyone knows how I feel about STB's and their runty children - but I would think that if someone has a teevee from that long ago and wants netflix, I think they probably have already upgraded to a new teevee that does not require some sort of dongle anyway.

Panasonic with Mozilla is pretty good, lots of devs are using this platform.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @fantaskarsef Thank you! Finally someone who agrees with me. Ok, I'm not sure how the other guys live but I personally have the computer in the office and then I have a big screen TV in the living room and got a HDMI cable connected from the PC to the TV. Still, it's much quicker and more convenient to use the TV for some things and the PC for other things.

If someone is young and has one room I get it that they would use the computer for everything but if someone has a larger flat or house, there is no need to dictate the a TV is something obsolete, on the contrary. I like to play games like AC:Odyssey on the big screen TV with a controller laying down comfortably on the sofa and no gaming chair can beat that.

This comment sounds like something that a person not owning a Smart TV would say. 3D was a gimmick, Smart TV is a pretty good thing if you ask me since a few of those apps are really convenient to use and tailored to be used with a remote controller. It may not have a ton of uses but anyone streaming stuff like YouTube, Twitch or Netflix/HBO and so on would see the benefit.

fantaskarsef and Richard Nutman like this.
  12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Now that's a stupid response^.....did you watch the video?....your so called dongle has a dedicated processor!....The TV is Stuck with what ever processor it came with.

13. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Asinine, especially if the hardware doesn't have any issue. Note the "US & Canada" language used and exempting Australia. So Netflix, you're telling me the same hardware somehow works just fine in Australia?

I have one of these TVs in question. Full disclosure: the integrated apps have been trash for several years now... Using Netflix on the TV was awful the last time I tried it - I use a Roku now which has a much nicer UI / experience overall.

That said, I'd love to circumvent this on principal since I generally disagree with everything DRM. So what do we think? Do I need Australian firmware or is this so dumb that it only requires I put my Pi with a VPN and Australian IP in front of the TV?

14. Sinean

Sinean Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 7900 xt
    Omg ! TOO Many Customers, so lets drop support for our app on tv's. Don't they want to increase customers instead of lose customers. I don't get the reasoning behind that. Well maybe they will increase the sales of there amazon stick etc... to make up for it.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    What video? I replied to your reply about the firestick.

airbud7 likes this.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The base cause of these issues is the early netflix drm had no hardware port so even if the tv has h264 acceleration netflix streams are software decoded.

17. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    Im 35, so Im guessing this is not gonna affect everyone the same as it affects me:
    Today, my most valuable resource is time.
    For it there are competing: Games, Females, TV Series, rest, Cooking, cleaning, sport, SLEEPING....

This? Is just an excuse for me to ignore it. I dont even have a TV connected to an antenna... for the last 15 years.
    So, I wanna watch the Witcher? Ill wait till they release the entire thing on DVDs.
    I wanna watch a movie? I'll just buy it on DVD when it is 10 bucks.

I have over 500 Games on steam, played like 60 of them, I can wait for 10 years if I have to (gonna be busy and having full the entire 10 years).

And I save myself the disappointment of things like Game of Thrones season 8.

Netflix is ... basically... trying to lose customers. If you have any netflix shares Id be selling.

18. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    I noticed you didn't list a job.If you got one you could buy Netflix. [​IMG]

airbud7 likes this.
  19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'd prefer the word "efficient".

airbud7 likes this.
  20. ManuKey

ManuKey Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Seriously, f* them... So much BS here... I will stay on my HTPC for long time again...