Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    For me dx12 worked better. Framerate is the same on both but Vulkan gave me random stutters.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    DX12, much like Vulkan, varies wildly from game to game. Nvidia does struggle with DX12 in ways, but in the end it comes down to how well the developer implements it into the game.

3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  4. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, DX12 fixes it for me too. The only issue I have with it though, is that there are occasional spikes in frametimes, as if there were some textures loading. Plus it's kinda weird that around internet everyone is recommending Vulkan especially for AMD cards.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I would say it's the developer implementation even when we're getting more "pure" D3D12 or Vulkan API usage instead of D3D11 and then D3D12 added on top but I would think it's also down to many games and particularly the game engines don't fully leverage each GPU arch and vendor to it's fullest.

Something like that Frostbite Engine had for separate paths for AMD and NVIDIA and also the GPU's themselves but with low level API usage made even more extensive so it can more completely get D3D12_0 and D3D12_1 features and functionality from both the earlier and newer GPU hardware though with how things are new hardware would eventually fall out of scope and end up on some generic path unless querying is sophisticated enough to get feature compatibility and capability right.
    (Not the same but sorta how auto detection of settings fail in older games often defaulting to something like 1024x768 and medium or how to compare even if it's a bit different.)

Blanket off with hidden settings (That apparently were in the press beta version?) such as async compute instead of on for AMD GCN 1.1 and NVIDIA Pascal and off for older could also help and for Vulkan well I suppose it's similar but also going via various API extensions. (Although both AMD and NVIDIA offers D3D extensions too via library extensions either ADL or NVAPI.)

Testing and time being a huge factor though for doing it this way, budget and all that and the complicated code and constant more complex testing and debugging required and here's a new driver and now this is broken or changed and yeah. :D
    Eventually I'm fairly certain D3D12 and Vulkan will be leveraged better but for now it's still early on even if the API's have been around for a few years, takes time and it's also more complex plus PC and hundreds of different CPU, GPU and other component differences and varying functionality and support.

Still curious as to how the game ended up on both, D3D12 only would exclude Windows 7 and Windows 8 (Added work for D3D12onW7 and the perf hit is probably not entirely worth it other than having it as "game runs." even if it's not very well.) and then with Vulkan it already encompasses different OS's and opens up for Linux as a possible port natively even if it's still a bit more work to get it fully supported in addition to Stadia but there's probably a reason behind this and it's nice to see low level API usage starting to spread a bit again after the first wave of games came out and then it sorta went back to mostly D3D11 with the occasional Vulkan or D3D12 supported title.

Well a few months of new drivers and game patches ought to work out the worst issues as I see it and the early launcher problems should be sorted now allowing for focusing on game bugs and optimization and such and whatever AMD and NVIDIA will have in later drivers.

And fixes, could be a "optimization" for performance but I hear the snow deformation breaks a bit on AMD GPU's currently maybe they're trying to lower the tessellation factor unless a manual value is set or if it's parallax based then maybe they optimized said shader for a performance increase. (Definitively a target, comparisons set it as up to a 16% GPU performance hit closing in on shadows though behind water and of course MSAA should anyone try to use 4x or even 8x here.)

EDIT: What was it for the volumetric effect again, somewhere near the 30 - 40% GPU performance range I think but that's comparing ultra and that's going to be using either a lot of samples or various other settings to smooth jagginess and overall transparency and blending compared to the console version default.

EDIT: Come to think of it though even placing more in the hands of the developers I would expect it just makes GPU driver "hacks" and various compatibility flags and ways of optimization much more complicated for when developers get things wrong or maybe work more towards how one vendor has things since extensions and behaviors have little bugs or differences between AMD and NVIDIA as well. (How wonderful must that be!) which then requires driver level code to get around.

Gears of War 4 and BSOD's and the Division 2 crash to desktop on NVIDIA's side, probably a number of AMD issues as well from bad to annoying to just glitches like the parallax here and how certain features work.

For Vulkan NVIDIA has something with the VRAM too which I wonder how that acts up unless it's mostly for the Linux driver.
    (The info from that is via DXVK after all. https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/1100 )

AMD wise well various extensions, unexpected behavior and lack of certain extensions until later drivers even if they were introduced in a earlier VLK SDK and probably more that I'm missing for AMD, NVIDIA and also Intel. :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    It did this on consoles constantly also. Their online servers are running on hamster power..

7. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Wow, the amount of work to get this video done is amazing. So a pc with a 2080 Ti has a 200% fps boost over an XBox1X.

8. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Yeah, Digital Foundry does not screw around or hold hands.. They are amazing..

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Here the VLK Tweak.

MyDocuments\Rockstar games\Red dead redemption 2\settings
    File = system.xml
    open with notepad:

Async compute enable = True

Thanks to this, game will be more smooth ;) (Tested on 5700XT 1440p)

Here, the proof:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    AsiJu, tiliarou, Angantyr and 2 others like this.
  10. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Mmmm how do i get more grass details when using TAA on highest setting ingame?

I've set ingame sharpening to max and use Nvidia control panel sharpening with 0.6 and 0.15 (film grain).

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Finally got around to fishing, man this is taking me back to Ocarina of Time.

airbud7 and Grimbarian like this.
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    So what does it do exactly? Are you talking more fps?

13. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Improves the frametime quite some.

OnnA likes this.
  14. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    I didn't see a difference at all with medium or high TAA in 4k. There's a noticeable amount of low res stuff in the game, I think grass is one of them. Even the ground textures are a mixed bag.

15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I have to say, after sinking about 22 hours into the game (lets say, minus 1 hour tweaking it) I am IN LOVE.
    Holy crap, this game is so much fun. The story is engaging, I am loving the characters. But, mostly, the scenery. It's SUPERB.
    And the chores around camp aren't as bad as some people make them be. They take at most 3 mins every a couple of days and the reward is nice.
    I am taking my time also around the cities, finding random events, picking up collectibles and what not.

I just love it.

From here, GTA 6 can only be better.

16. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Same here. I hope they fix it soon. DX12 crashes for me. With Vulkan I played for 6 hours with no problem.

17. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    That's the same as me, while Vulkan runs well, it seems a bit more washed out that dx12, I don't know why.
    I needed vsync on as well or it would just stutter.

18. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Washed out? What do you mean?

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It is indeed more blurry with vulkan.

20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I seem to have lost my horse. I bought a train ticket and when I got to where I was going, my horse wasn't there. When I got on "my horse" at home, it was my old, early game horse and had no saddle. My saddle was back in the town near the station where I bought the train ticket. It was by the train tracks.

Did a train kill Mr. Ed? I liked that horse.