Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    You claimed before that 1080p is 42% of 4k...

Scaling wise you go by pixel length, not total pixel amount - thus 4k render res at 200% is 8k, and likewise 4k render res at 50% is 1080p.

3. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Are we talking SP ?
    Then go to the statues cave and find the treasure.

For pelts: use the lasso on 3-star animals that are big enough to be lassoed and kill them when the key popup comes up.
    When your lasso hits, the animal will stop, close in a little bit more via horse, then jump off while holding on to your lasso, walk towards the animal (watch your stamina or you might get tired quickly) and when it says 'kill' use your secondary interaction button/key.
    Knife kills have no effect on the pelt quality.

4. Its hard to get that close and for some reason I find it really hard to lasso while riding...my horse is;t responsive. I have opted for a bow, I just stalk and get as close as I can.

5. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    When you're holding the lasso while on horseback and the fleeing animal is in the center of your screen, the aim key locks your invisible crosshair on the animal for about 2secs, then just throw it. Or maybe you need to be closer.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've played about 10 hours of this wonderful game so far without any major issues other than a couple of instances of very minor stuttering during cutscenes and some weird audio glitches last night during one of the missions (it kept cutting out like a record jumping!).

I've settled on playing the game at 30 fps at 2560x1440 with everything maxed out apart from MSAA and the Ray thingy. The game looks absolutely gorgeous and while I could play uncapped with a 35-45 fps framerate, I find 30 fps feels far more consistent even though I'm using G-SYNC and it shouldn't really matter. The cap also basically eliminates hitches/stuttering giving me a very similar experience to the consoles (which were also both stutter-free) while offering visuals that are far superior to anything even on Xbox One X (albeit that version is native 4K and has HDR when played on my LG OLED TV).

Sure, I get that 30 fps won't be for everyone but played with an Xbox One controller with Ultra Low Latency enabled in the NVIDIA control panel does feel more responsive than either console game despite running at the same framerate.

Really need that in-depth Digital Foundry analysis to convince me to use lower settings for a higher framerate and better gaming experience but unless I get a locked 60 fps at 2560x1440 without lowering most settings to Medium (which I don't get anyway) then I will opt for a locked framerate instead. I just find that offers me a much nicer experience. In my experience, this game seems to favour 30 fps and does not feel noticeably more responsive to play at 60+ fps anyway (though it does obviously *look* much smoother in motion, that's a given).

A few oddities to note off the top of my head:

1. The game will not start from the desktop shortcut, which forces me to launch the game from the, erm, launcher otherwise it returns an ERR_NO_LAUNCHER error box. This shortcut was created by the Rockstar Games Launcher!

2. The Photo mode seems bugged as at night the lighting is overly saturated to the point where it looks completely different to the game when I paused it. For example, I entered the Photo mode with Arthur holding up a lamp and the lighting looked absolutely fantastic in-game. Enter the Photo mode and the bloom is so intense that it ruins all the detail. Not sure if this is a bug or not but resetting the Photo mode settings does not do anything.

3. Vulkan doesn't seem to work with G-SYNC when v-sync is disabled in-game and forced on in the NVIDIA control panel. It does work when it is enabled in-game but this causes minor flickering in the menus. Not sure if this is a game or driver issue but I'm using the latest graphics driver for my GTX 1080 Ti.

4. Maybe I'm wrong but the path-finding in the PC version doesn't seem to be as reliable as on the consoles such that when you use the cinematic mode for long journeys to mission markers, I find Arthur Morgan or rather his horse isn't very clever at navigating its way around other people, horses and other vehicles and has a worrying tendency to run into them. Maybe it's just me though?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    connos, airbud7, Serotonin and 3 others like this.
  7. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    It was my mistake, I wanted to write 25%. I own two HDTV's, plasma 1080p and 4K LCD. On 1080p screen I can toggle 4x native resolution (4x DSR) in Nv control panel, and 4x DSR equals 4K on my plasma 1080p TV. So at least Nv scaling go by pixel amount, not pixel lenght. To be honest I have never used in game resolution scaling, so maybe you are right and some games use pixel length instead of total pixel amount although I dont know why someone would want to confuse people like that, because resolution should be always about totall amount of pixels.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, nvidia control panel goes by total amount, which is honestly quite confusing, as you have to get busy with the calculator then - like adding 50% pixel length in nvidia control panel is 2,25, as it amounts to 125% more total pixels...

Fortunately all games i've seen goes by pixel length, which is alot easier to keep track of :)

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  9. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    But can you explain what exactly looks better on PC compared to xbox x? I have watched comparison video between xbox x and PC version, but differences weren't obvious to me. I remember watching similar GTA5 PC vs PS4 comparison videos and the difference was noticeable, for example much improved grass distance.

10. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    well, i loaded the game up fine. Noticed it wanted access thru the firewall as it launched so quickly tabbed out to allow it, setup the gfx as i see fit, mostly high and the odd medium, turned off crap like motion blur, game runs buttery smooth. Not sure if I like the TAA yet or prefer shimmering with it off. Only issue is the random CTD i had twice over the space of about 4 hours of play. I tabbed out quite a few times too mid game. Far from the horror story I was expecting. So nice to play the game where we can actually see it now too. Hopefully the CTD issues are addressed soon. Running on a 5820k @ stock 1080ti @stock and 16GB RAMS. Gsync may have hidden a lot of framedrops. Installed on an SSD too. Quite happy considering some of the stuff ive read.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    In my opinion (obviously!), shadows look better with a longer draw distance, lighting is noticeably improved to my eyes (even without HDR) and draw distance of foliage and grass is extended to give less obvious draw in when travelling at speed. Ambient shadows and reflections (including mirrors) are also higher quality. Input latency and controller response is also much improved even at the same 30 fps framerate and, of course, my framerate is locked (at least so far...) unlike console.

I'm sure Digital Foundry will do a detailed analysis shortly and everything I said will just turn out to be my imagination!!! :-D

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  12. Forceflow

Forceflow Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Just fyi, these are the settings I found in that system.xml file that don't seem to correspond to any in-game setting. Might be some wins to be had by tweaking them? I currently don't have time to test, but I've read elsewhere that some people have seen gains by enabling async compute.

connos likes this.
  13. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Is this the best looking pc game available now?

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    No, but it's the best looking console port now.

15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I keep getting the same visual bug in snowy regions, but it also happens similarly with mud in the swamp. These really aren't tracks and it kinda ramps up over time, the longer I stay there. Only happens on Vulkan, so I could switch to DX12, but ti gives a bit less consistent performance.

https://i.**********/ZKydCZTb/1.jpg

connos likes this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I wouldn't even call it that.

18. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    IMO yes by a mile, haven't played anything else on this scope that comes close.

Hater trolls gonna hate.

19. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    I literally have had no issues with stability in this game since launch. 9900k, 2080 Ti.

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    So i am a troll for saying i don't think this game is the best looking ever? Alrighty then...

There are many much better looking games...anthem, shadow of the tomb raider and metro exodus being some them.

Passus, Serotonin and Solfaur like this.