Review: Red Dead Redemption 2: PC graphics benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Gamers Nexus has the 1080Ti 14% faster than the 2060 Super in it's tests on Vulkan but custom high settings.

So what exactly is happening here?

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    A 20% performance increase with vulcan... for turing cards... not pascal. I see no fps increase with vulcan, and it stutters alot more than dx12.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Gamers Nexus shows a 14% uplift with Vulkan over DX12 on a 1080Ti (with mixed ultra/high settings) - you may not be seeing it but at least one person is with various settings.

Guess Nvidia forgot to intentionally nerf pascal under certain conditions /s.

Edit: Actually the more I'm looking on reddit the more I see people saying Vulkan on Pascal runs better than DX12 - so I'm not sure why you don't see similar. Testing area probably matters to some extent (I think that's why Guru3D/Hardware Unboxed/GN all see such differing results).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  4. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Last Tomb Raider looks better.

5. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    We don't exactly know which comparable settings do consoles run.
    So playing on ultra or high, or even medium can be superior than what consoles offer.
    Resolution is not everything.

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Exactly. The base consoles also had drops down to the 20s and dynamic resolution.

Another thing is, it's well known that console games can be optimized like hell. If RDR2 is extremely optimized and uses all the inherent strengths the consoles have, it's not surprising that the PC version has requirements a tier higher than the other multiplats.

I wouldn't be surprised either if RDR2 is a planned re-release for the PS5, and its high settings are Rockstar experimenting getting their engine next-gen ready.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah.... no. I still think I fixed it for you :D

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Am in no rush for this game.
    This title in particular is not comparable to consoles, as the PC version has added graphical assets not available to console versions.

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I get 54 fps average with dx12 in the benchmark, and 55 fps with vulkan in the benchmark... difference being that dx12 runs significantly more smooth.

10. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    So...Rockstar produced a poorly optimized console port and some people here say **** you nvidia - why not **** you AMD also since their cards don't run great either.
    Why for some people here when it's bad is always nvidia and when is great it's AMD...why not pointing the finger at the source of the problem - the company that produced the product to say so...

So here I say it: **** you Rockstar for destroying such a great game with a poorly optimized port! You don't care about the PC community - you never cared, all your games are console first in the latest years and if you care so much about the console kids then look at his:

[​IMG]

gx-x likes this.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Mate, is that language really necessary?

12. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Sorry...I got carried away...I will censor it...

The Reeferman likes this.
  13. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Does the in-game benchmark take into account your defined graphics settings, or is it a static affair?

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Updated article shows now increased vram usage to 6.1gb and thats on 8gb card with a 11gb card it uses more i guess for cache.

15. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Lets face it. One of the most expected games on PC this year (at least) has arrived and it behaves in a strange way.

Its basically 2x more demanding than the rest. And quite unstable (even the benchmark is almost unusable)

Many ppl cant even start it. And lots of those who can, just watch their monitors with "??" In their eyes, watching their expensive HW crumble.

We can pretend that this is the "next gen" but truth is, its just a pootly optimized game. Produced by the heroes of the industry, the huge company with infinite budget.

And they did the same, as the rest of companies. They delivered half azzed product, cashed in on preorders amd 1st day sales, and will MAYBE improve the game to playable state in the following months (my guess is it will take 6 months)

So here goes... the letdown of the year.

Its such a let down the masses cant yet even comprehend it. But it is what it is. Sleep and think about it tomorrow and in months to come.

What a f mess :/

SpajdrEX, mackintosh and Dragam1337 like this.

16. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    Isn't there multi gpu support in vulkan?

17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    There is no multi gpu support in this title what so ever... sadly.

Ironically there has hardly been a game that needed it more than this game.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is one 1080ti user who says otherwise a few pages back.

and on the evga forums sajin (believes he) got sli working with a profile (which i call bs on).

i think he just found a set of ingame settings which are compatible with some mgpu implementation the game actually has got going.

19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Can't really relate to this. The game plays fine. Sure it's demanding but I just knock down a few settings and it's buttery smooth so far.
    And don't be so dramatic dude :confused:

FatBoyNL, Irenicus, 0blivious and 2 others like this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This game has no DX11 support period.
    What are you even talking about?