Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Using the sharpening option within GeForce Experience Overlay helps with the blur from TAA. I set it to 0.70 on sharpening. Still not great, but at least it's an improvement. TAA seems to be a requirement for this game, without you have so much shimmering it's not even funny. But with TAA everything that is like 5 yards from your character is loosing a bunch of details. Doesn't seem like Medium vs High on TAA really does anything to affect this and having TAA Sharpening set to maximum doesn't really help either.

Might the TAA implementation be bugged? It sure defeats the shimmering, but is it supposed to be this harsh on the blurring? Things look great on your character etc, but everything even at semi-close distances gets blurred into oblivion. You loose out on tons of detail on basically everything in the game that is not in very close proximity of your character. What is the point of having various options at high/ultra to ensure great rendering at insane distances if TAA will just make it all blurry regardless?

I tried to just see how things look with 4x MSAA and you still have noticeable shimmering so it doesn't seem you can really avoid using TAA if you don't want shimmering everywhere. Tried to do supersampling (resolution scale set to 150%) but you will still notice shimmering without TAA and TAA even when doing supersampling has the same blur. Can't really play with 4x MSAA or supersampling anyway as my 2080 Ti just can't handle it at 3440x1440 resolution if I want 60 FPS.

I did connect my Xbox One X and fired up the game on the same monitor and this blur caused by TAA on the PC version is nowhere near as noticeable on the Xbox One X. So it seems like there is something awkward going on with TAA on PC? Like it's doing way too much and heavy blurring at a way to short distance than it's supposed to do?

Dragam1337 likes this.
  2. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    According to task manager my CPU load is about 40% and GPU is about 20-25%. Especially the GPU load seems suspiciously low? I don't have a frame rate cap so it's not because the GPU doesn't need to render any additional frames.

3. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    GPU load for me is 98-99%

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    oh, i was going by your profile, you don't have the 970 anymore?

Your mistake is relying on task manager for gpu info.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    As someone else said, you cant rely on task manager reports outside the game - use msi afterburner overlay :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  7. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Is it coming to steam?

8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    ^pwned

grizzlies in rdr 1 were great fun also :p

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Steam's just going to launch the R* front-end first anyways though I guess that's still better for some situations.

As to the game. Fantastic! I'm not seeing any of the issues people are running into.
    (GTX1070, old driver / 4790K / 1080p@144hz / Ultra settings)

Some of the issues seem to be with wildly optimistic expectations and talking about GPU conspiracies when they just need to back their settings down a bit.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    jbscotchman likes this.
  10. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Interesting find on Gamers Nexus review, GTX1080Ti have noticeably better avg fps on Vulkan than on DX12.

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    If some of you installed the game on HDD then sorry for you,get an SSD.

For
    Stutter / Freeze Temporal Fix Red Dead Redemption 2:

"I used Process Lasso to limit the Red Dead.exe process so that when it spikes up to 98%, it’s set to only use one less core for a second.
    This prevents all freezing for me, so far I have about 10 minutes in without one! I was getting them every 5 seconds before."

https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/comments/ds3kk4/stutter_freeze_temporal_fix_red_dead_redemption_2

Process Lasso:
    https://bitsum.com/

12. Ghanja

Ghanja Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ventus
    Any differences between DX12 and Vulkan if you run a Rtx 2080?

13. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    This chap appears to have got it working with Vulkan, though his afterburner overlay flickers:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/dsaq2n/sli_fix_for_red_dead_redemption_2_pc/

And there's this, a chap saying SLI actually works with Vulkan on pre-RDR driver, though scaling wasn't great (but still better than one card non SLI):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ds1fjb/sli_fix_for_red_dead_redemption_2_on_pc/

Doesn't sound like either are perfect yet but may be a starting point.

14. urbangangsta101

urbangangsta101 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX980 SLI
    Interesting, I've got pretty much the same specs:

GTX1070 ROG Strix / 4770K @4.4GHz / 1080p@144Hz

Ultra settings are too demanding for my rig.

However I am using the latest Nvidia driver. I'm also using DirectX12 as the API and I'm only adjusting the top set of options to ULTRA and leaving the advanced stuff locked as they seem to kill the framerate more than anything. What sort of FPS are you getting? I've backed it down to the middle preset (Balanced) to get a steady 60fps and 1 or 2 of those options are 'low' on that preset. Still looks fantastic apart from the blurry AA.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I was playing around with the Graphics settings this morning having reached the Horseshoe Overlook camp at the start of Chapter II. Anyway, on maxed out settings at 2560x1440, including the Advanced settings (which by default is locked), but no MSAA, I was getting around 35-40 fps at this point. With the Advanced settings set back to their default and everything else set to Ultra, the framerate jumps to 55-70 fps which is a nice improvement for little to no visual difference at this point.

To be honest, the game even at 60 fps doesn't feel noticeably more responsive than it does at 30 fps, mostly because the third-person viewed characters have a real sense of weight and momentum which most other games of this type don't. People might perceive this as being sluggish but I think it is just Rockstar aiming for realism. Anyway, the point I'm making badly is that I don't think this game really benefits at all from higher framerates for gameplay, although if you are aiming manually with a mouse then it could be a factor. I am playing the game with a controller however and the game defaults to snap auto-aiming during combat which suits me fine and makes it more enjoyable to play.

Heading to Valentine later to test out the framerate there. I expect it will be fine as this game's performance seems to be mostly affected by volumetric lighting, particles and foliage. There is a lot more grass here than GTA V and that older game's performance was very heavily affected by setting Grass on its maximum setting, mainly due to the self-shadowing which is very demanding.

LuckyNumber8 likes this.

16. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Here's a screenshot from my game:

https://ibb.co/9nrcdTq

This is running 3440x1440 without resolution scaling, everything on high besides textures which is set to Ultra. No FXAA, but with TAA on High. When watching screenshots from others and watching people play on Twitch they don't seem to have the same blur as I do. Do you find my game to look overly blurry?

17. ^ Hmm your Arthur is a bit out of focus :) I'd say it's either DOF or MotionBlur. You can disable MB in options. DOF changes dynamically depending on scene and what your camera focuses on. You could also try lower TAA settings. Sometimes, lower TAA uses less temporal samples resulting in sharper image during movement but worse temporal stability.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2019
  18. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Game needs an additional higher quality texture pack, even maxed out, the textures look questionable. I guess they looked better on console due to how far away from the TV you are when you play, but up close on a monitor many look pretty low res.

19. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Everyone on newer cards should be using Vulkan, it is a bit faster than DX12.

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    As someone else said, disable motion blur - but otherwise your game doesn't look more blurry than my game does.

But i seriously dont get why the game is so demanding... it looks no better than gta 5.