Review: Red Dead Redemption 2: PC graphics benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2019.

1. leopr

leopr Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti OC
    It'd be nice if another 1080Ti user can confirm this.

2. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    If that was so why would it go away when you disable TAA?

3. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    It's not that pathetic if people knew the difference between Pascal and Turing and RDNA and GCN.

Nvidia had cut corners though out this entire series when it came to DX12 and Vulkan, it comes by no surprise that Turing GPUs simple have much better performance, because Turing it's the only arquitechture where Nvidia really cared about low level apis, just check the difference in performance in any single game that uses Vulkan or DX12 between Pascal and equivalent Turing GPUs.

RDR2 only makes use of Low level APIs, so performance on anything other than any recent GCN (RX 470 or above) RDNA or Nvidia Turing (GTX 1650 or above) will be simply be lower than you usually get under DX11.
    If RDR2 was mainly developed under DX11, Pascal performance would simply be the usual, but with this new APIs it's just going to ramp up the difference from PASCAL to Turing further and further, not even to mention AMD cards that were simply super ready for low-level APIs for half decade and only now are shining on them (check COD MW or Wolfenstein II that only uses low level APIs too and you will see what I'm talking about).

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    jbscotchman likes this.
  4. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    rip my 1070ti... but luckily GTA style and Wild West theme are not my thing :) will give this a pass..

5. clamatac

clamatac Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    thanks for the info for the ultrawide resolution!

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Not really. While Turing is indeed is an improvement with low level APIs, Pascal is no slouch for its time, you were more thinking of Maxwell. There are tons of DX12, Vulkan reviews showing Pascal on par with its AMD counterparts and in many cases ahead, even in recent titles.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gears_of_war_5_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,5.html
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/borderlands_3_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,5.html

Timespy: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/xfx_radeon_rx_5700_xt_thicc_iii_ultra_review,25.html

Khronikos, toyo and yasamoka like this.
  7. There is something weird going on with Pascal and it's not just the bad performance.

In this article, 1080TI runs a bit faster on DX12 than on Vulkan, but in GN's video review, their 1080TI runs significantly faster with Vulkan API (97 FPS VULKAN vs 85 FPS DX12).

This difference might be worth investigating maybe?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2019
  8. nullptr

nullptr Guest

GPU:
  9. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    300$ console do stable 30 FPS on this game.But 2000$ PC gives 60 FPS with ultra setting,ya i know with little better quality than console but still price Difference is huge.Seems like unoptimise game for pc.

10. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    It's pretty easy. Just enable resolution scaling in the advanced settings. If you are running on a 1080P monitor you set the resolution scaling to 200% which equals 3840x2160 aka 4K and it will render everything in 4K and as your output is only 1080P it will be downscaled to match your monitor's resolution.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You expected too much.

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    top-level gpu results are a lil weird... all others seems reasonable, system&API noise included.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The game is demanding but that´s normal when maxing everything out. If it´s like any other modern game then we can drop the settings to gain 30/40% losing very little on the image quality. The problem for me is that the game apparently is boring as hell so not for me.

Also the 1080Ti continues to be the best card ever! At least until i get a better one...:p

Irenicus likes this.
  14. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Lol ok, my setup is really close to yours.

R7 1700 locked at 3.8
    4x8 3200 C16
    Crosshair VI Hero
    1080TI Black edition(leans towards grey)

I did have the same damn error and tried all of the damn fixes, then it randomly hit me that i was on some randomass Beta bios from asus.
    So what i did was i just updated it to the last 1 0 0 3 ABBA aaaaaaaaand voala, it launched with 0 issues.. Works fine, no crashes no stutter no anything. really odd.

15. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'm getting terrible textures, doesn't matter if it's low or ultra. Newest drivers, 2080ti.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    GN showed that the VRAM is the limiter on the 970. The 570 4GB chugged in this game too but the 580 8GB plays fine at 1080p. BTW he also checked the 980ti performance in the title too. Also went a little more in-depth with the in-game BM vs real game play and came to the conclusion that th BM is actually pretty close to an average performance scenario and that the opening scene of the game is over the top on its performance hit vs the rest of the game.

Also I wish Hilbert had used Vulcan exclusively. Other sites have shown a 20% performance difference in favor of Vulcan on Nvidia cards.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Woops, I meant the "2080Ti Super" :)

18. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Even in Strange Brigade which runs very well on Vulkan and is AMD sponsored I believe, Pascal is doing decently, with the expected 1070ti=Vega56 and 1080 a bit below Vega64.
    To have a 2060 above a 1080ti should simply not be possible based on its raw power. Even if the architecture is not as optimized, the sheer amount of CUDA cores should balance it. But not in this game. Which I am not paying for if it runs like this, 40 fps is just not acceptable for my card without a significant increase in image quality, which is nowhere to be seen.

Solfaur likes this.
  19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I am SO glad I didn't preorder this. As a 1080Ti owner, all I can say is wow... frack you nvidia, I still won't buy an RTX card, nice try. I'm not buying the whole Pascal is outdated story either, sorry. A 1080Ti is still a freaking good card, and most certainly above a damn 2060 supershit.

I'll still get the game 1 month from now (or later) if it comes out on Steam, but I'll just have to settle for lower settings. Also, the other game related bugs are hopefully fixed by then.

Undying, Singleton99 and Dragam1337 like this.
  20. omagic

omagic Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080
    Gtx 1080 nerfing continues ;) when I bought it it was a little faster than Vega 64. Now its getting slaped(in another new game) by Vega 56... well I guess AMD cards do age a lot better...