VRR Support For Volta Titan V

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ultra5711, Nov 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultra5711

ultra5711 Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan on Agua
    Why no VRR HDMI support for Volta?!?

It's really bad taste to not include this customer base who is pretty much the "early adopter" group for Turing architecture. Especially considering the early adopter tax for next-gen architecture. Thank you for your time and efforts in advance.

Fun Fact: Volta Titan V has HDMI 2.0b just like RTX cards.

My reference for my Volta=Turing inference.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13282/nvidia-turing-architecture-deep-dive/4

@ManuelG

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    because they don't want to, and what they choose to support is up to company discretion.

3. ultra5711

ultra5711 Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan on Agua
    Thank you for your worthless contribution. Get lost.

This is not acceptable, no matter how you spin it.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    get an attitude adjustment.

The most likely core reason apart from "they just don't want to" would be the non-programmable scan out engine that Volta and Pascal include.

Volta is not a gaming card, no matter how much that offends you.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    cryohellinc likes this.

5. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Is HDMI 2.1 VRR really so different from DisplayPort 1.xa VESA Adaptive-Sync (or the original G-Sync because I think Pascal still supports the old proprietary DVI-D interface based G-Sync modules on the first generation G-Sync monitors)?
    Even if the native HDMI ports on pre-Turing cards are somehow limited, there is the option for cheap passive (or even somewhat more costly but still affordable active) DP 1.4a -> HDMI 2.0 LSPCON adapters (voltage converters basically, no active signal converter parts).
    P.s.: I am not aware if anyone sells passive converters in external cases (usually integrated into cable connectors) right now but Intel used such converters for several years by now (they lagged behind a lot with a native HDMI 2.0 interface but used DP->LSPCON integrated to mainboards), although Intel doesn't support VRR either. Active converters are definitely available, however I am not sure if they are capable of supporting VRR (may be, but just may be... if an HDMI 2.1 versions pops up).
    If I am not mistaken, the XBox One S does something similar. I think it uses an active (or "semi-passive"?) integrated DP->HDMI converter (instead of AMD's native HDMI interface). PS4 is also similar but that one has no VRR support (unlike the XBox).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    ultra5711 likes this.
  6. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    or a more logical reason is that nvidia is trying to market a softproduct like the RTX line and picking and choosing wich features to help their marketing. Volta was doing hardware ray tracing for all the demos and development before rtx, then suddenly no support and then software support etc.

there are a few rude folks on this forum that always like to tear down other peoples contributions and questions. I like to think this is an enthusiast forum and folks should contribute, tolerate and help.

If you need any help on Titan V, that I can provide, please feel free to ask.

V

ultra5711 likes this.
  7. ultra5711

ultra5711 Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan on Agua
    Well that's great info!

I'm a customer and I demand satisfaction!

@NVIDIA
    @ManuelG

Support is not optional!

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Subbed to this thread.

Sajittarius likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    these will not provide VRR.

DP++ is limited to hdmi 1.4 for starters, and an active converter becomes the sink DP device, graphics card no longer has immediate interface with the monitor.

brings me back to the philosophy "the customer is usually wrong"

10. ultra5711

ultra5711 Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan on Agua
    You must work for Nvidia, what a joke.

venturi likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You must not have a valid or compelling argument for why your card should get VRR other than "I want it".

It's not a gaming card.

[​IMG]

cryohellinc likes this.
  12. ultra5711

ultra5711 Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan on Agua
    Here's an argument: I paid good money for it.
    Sure it is.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You got everything that was listed on the box which is the only thing the price you pay actually covers.
    Your money does not guarantee you driver support (period) and you are not entitled to anything beyond what nvidia have made available FOR FREE within their driver development.

Drivers from any hardware vendor are developed under goodwill terms and if you read the license it spells this out clearly and thoroughly. You get what you get and if you don't like it, tough.

Still not a gaming card.

14. ultra5711

ultra5711 Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan on Agua
    And then there is reality (period) where support is expected of the manufacturer (period).

It's a gaming card (period).

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Doesn't include new features bucko, you're entitled the driver on the disk (if included) and card works and thats all.

16. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP

the simple answer is yes

nvidia supports volta just fine, and it does still support rtx, this is not due to product segmentation as the RTX titan does support it(hdmi2.1vrr) i would assume ,

I think it is important to know a few things about the titan V/GV100
    The volta gv100 was designed as a compute accelerator first, a workstation/"gaming" gpu second , It also predates turing by a full year, It is not exactly the same as turing. expecting hdmi VRR is a little much, as the hdmi 2.1 standard was not finalized during its developement (final spec was released in nov 2017, the first GV100s shipped in july 2017 , there is a very good chance it simply does not support the capability in hardware.

You bought a very expensive piece of equipment, but it is not a timemachine, the things that you want it to support simply did not exist at the time of its creation, even on paper, so please understand this.

cryohellinc likes this.
  17. ultra5711

ultra5711 Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan on Agua
    All assumptions, nothing in the way of stating what HDMI hardware it actually contains relative to Turing.

And here's my made up assumption, they aren't any different, because ngreedia would not pay for newer chips as a means of cost saving. At least understand this: If they didn't include the new spec, they have the same hardware as the year before.

And here's some facts for you uninformed: Volta has HDMI 2.0b , and guess what RTX cards have? HDMI 2.0b. Nice try though.

Disk driver? Bucko? You're stuck in the 90's. Now I understand why nothing you have posted makes any sense. Also, glad I got under your skin tho. Obvious because you are name calling now. I win ; p

But honestly keep coming at me bros, I enjoy making sure this topic stays at the top of the Nvidia drivers subforum to ensure customers are informed about this injustice. Affords them this piece of information to make their purchase decision. I will continue to keep this bumped as long as possible ; )

@ManuelG

Your move Nvidia, I know you see this ; )

Customers vs Nvidia

18. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its funny how you're mocking his post with this image but he didn't realise it.

this thread has run its course (6 feet into the ground).
    This isn't an nvidia sales support channel, you're not entitled an answer from "Customer Care" on the matter.

cryohellinc likes this.
  20. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Incorrect. Let me quote myself form the same post which you quoted me from. :p

I think I was searching for the "programmable" term when I wrote "semi-active". But it doesn't really matter how it's called. It has been out there in the consumer market for years, working just fine. So don't tell me it doesn't exist or it can not work. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.