Review: Red Dead Redemption 2: PC graphics benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    We are getting a bit off topic and starting to be personal.....

Thanks for the review Hilbert, I will be waiting to see the performance settings FPS, the balanced ones are still quite low.

My gtx 970 is obviously toast for 1600x1200 and will finally have to upgrade it. Made a fair bit on amd in the last week, sold today and so gives me an excuse for an 5700xt ...

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I cant imagine Maxwell cards even running this game. The 970 is just awful now. I can imagine R9 390 would destroy it. 980ti will perform worse than my 580 and thats just great (for some).

@Hilbert Hagedoorn It would be great if you had any 390X and 980ti to throw in there just for comparison? :)

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The problem I have with someone like you is in the final sentence of this paragraph and it's honestly a big reason why we probably don't see eye to eye on a bunch of issues in the past that you're talking about.

At no point during this discussion did I say the 1080Ti performance here is normal.

I didn't say those words - you completely read into that. In fact I'd argue that the performance is an outlier relative to Turing performance but I'd argue it's due to the reasons I mentioned. That doesn't make it normal, it explains why it's abnormal. I think the fact that you can't make that differentiation is big reason why you think I'm biased.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  4. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    tried to watch Delrith play RDR2 on angry joe twitch he ended up refunding it live because of how broken it was, now he plays zoo tycoon instead lol

Per.r likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    fun fact, old drivers can skip rendering effects due to bugs and this translates to increased framerate.

6. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Why testing with DX12 when Vulkan is default?

Also, @Hilbert: I think showing which settings affect performance the most would be more useful than simply cranking settings and comparing cards, though I do get why you do this.

It's not broken at all. Mind you Joe, and especially Delrith, isn't the smartest when it comes to setting up games, he still records games with motion blur on. Also his game footage is always garbage quality. So not the best guy to listen to regarding that. Even if I do like his reviews

No console can run ANY game (maybe a 10yr old one lol) at 4k60. No console even DOES 4k native. In fact, the only console to even do true 1080p, is the playstation 4, never mind 4k lol.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I asked because you said they are similar, and so it thought you were also talking about visual quality.

8. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

The Xbox One X was running the game at native 4K/2160P, not at 60 FPS of course but a stable 30 FPS and the visuals seems to be somewhat between medium to high when comparing it to the PC release. Considering the performance I'm seeing with my 2080 Ti and 3440x1440 which is quite a few pixels less than 3840x2160 it's crazy how good this game performed on the Xbox One X.

Which makes me believe that there are room for some great performance improvements here on PC. The fact that I can't run this at 150% resolution scale on my 2080 Ti on medium settings without dropping down towards 30 FPS is beyond me when the Xbox One X was as capable as it was.

9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Also the game went out 1 day ago? For those big titles patches comes along to fix performances and what else comes out.

Also a word on @Denial to @Glottiz. Which ever stance he had, i have seen him writing with more common sense than most of other people on this forum.

10. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    It's utterly pointless to compare RDR2 with The Division 2. Two completely different games, with completely different engines and whatnot. Just because The Division 2 rendering in native 4K on the Xbox One X had various quality settings equivalent to even worse than low on PC doesn't mean that we have the same situation with RDR2.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Wow, I wasn't expecting the performance to be so crappy overall. Looks like I made the right decision to wait for the Steam version, because while the game looks beautiful undoubtedly and is grand in scope and scale, it should be getting much greater performance than what Hilbert's benchmarks reported.

12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Interesting, did you do anything to get it working? Mgpu isn’t working in Vulkan for me and many others.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Have a feeling Nvidia will address Pascal performance in this game with future drivers. Only logical they prioritize driver optimizations for their current lineup before older cards, but this time the perf gap should be embarrassing for them. They know people on the webs are insane and can escalate this into a big PR hit job. Nvidia can do without all the negative attention this could bring, hence I think they will fix it sooner than later with a driver update.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You can't make a card do more than 100%.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    or maybe thats just your unfounded opinion, vulkan game optimizations are performed at the game developer end, amd/intel/nvidia can't really screw with the api apart from native shader compilation.

But I won't substitute your reality for the real one.

:rolleyes:

What Rockstar hasn't done is used nvidia's Sampler feedback extension.

16. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    right, because 1440p is again 5.2gb and 4k is 5.9gb. Dude...

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    wouldn't really say 16 series is for 1440p tbh.

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Clearly not this game

20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    it really isn't.