10nm Ice Lake (38 Cores) and 14nm Cooper Lake (48 Cores) Xeon CPU Specs leak

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    270W for 38 Cores!!!! Can someone help me understand how this might actually be good?

moo100times likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isnt the upcoming AMD TR 3990x 64/128 280w?

Also even skylake x had more cores than this.

4. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Guessing they up the clocks significantly on those cores (especially compared 48-core Cooper Lake on the same chart). Given they're Xeons that will likely be used in VM hosts, I doubt the power draw will ever get to the 270W anyway.

Nice to have a faster option at least, so you can get the speed when you need it. You can always buy the low power, low speed, high core count Xeon if that works better for your application.

5. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Wonder if they release 10nm how much ++++ intel make before they skip to 5nm.

6. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Or you can buy an Epyc chip.

Seriously though, I wonder what clock speeds they will obtain with those specs, as I heard rumours ice lake wasn't clocking as well as they hoped at 10nm. Also why 2 different types of server chips?

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    look at this nice slide listing products that will never see the light of day because they got cancelled.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Strange number of cores to have. I guess that sorta works in Intel's favor, since it's harder to do an apples to apples comparison against AMD.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ?

Skylake X for desktop anyways had a max of 18 cores

Skylake based Xeon processors had a max of 28 cores

Not sure where you are getting your information...

There's a cascade lake Xeon processor with 56 cores, maybe that's what you were referring to? (though this is a little confusing since the slide in this article states cascade lake is up to 28 cores, which unless i'm mistaken, the Xeon Platinum 9282 is a 56 core processor, with two dies on the package, and is cascade lake)

Undying likes this.
  10. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Keyword: Q3 2020
    They got NOTHING for an entire year.

Auch this is going to hurt their market-share badly.

11. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    1% ?

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Troll?

13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    well intel claims a 20% ipc uplift.

but frankly i think everyone can see that the yield are probably not very good, and that 10nm+ draws more power than 14nm+++++ for a given frequency. I suspect that the icelake 38core will end up performing worse than the 48core cooperlake under a fully multi-threaded workload

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I mean despite offerings from AMD Intel still had a pretty decent growth in 2019, so he's actually not wrong...

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    A while back I recall saying that Intel could do absolutely nothing for several years and they'd still rake in more cash and profit than AMD, and so far that seems to be the case. Yes, their market share is going to go down, but I think we tend to forget that we enthusiasts are a minority. Up until very recently, we were pretty much the only ones keeping AMD afloat (I get the impression the consoles didn't really help much). The server and laptop markets are what's really driving AMD's profits and market share up. Intel is definitely feeling the heat, but they're going to be fine.

16. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    The effect on enterprise-level purchases is usually delayed and ramp-up is slow.

Rome just launched (and is generating huge interest in that market)... the effect on marketshare will be seen much later, but it will kick hard once budgets have been allocated and hundreds and thousands of CPU's start flowing towards those enterprises.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    AMD has their best ever lineup which is pretty well surpassing intel in most areas in regards to servers.

From Q1 2018, to Q2 2019, AMD rose from 1% to 3.4%, with a decent lineup, but not nearly as powerful as is now.

So how exactly does it make sense that with an even better lineup, from Now, to Q3 2020, would have less of an impact as they did previously?

To state that is a simple troll.

Most electronic news sites expect that AMD may reach 10% by the end of 2020, and that wouldn't be surprising. What would be surprising, and not very logical, is if it only went up by 1%.

AMD even recently has stated that their sales for EPYC chips are up 50% from the previous (...quarter? year? I can't really tell by their statement of "period", i expect quarter)

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Intel grew 11% in 2019, versus the 3.4% jump AMD had.

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not really sure what you are talking about considering the topic of which our quotes are for and from are server market share between intel and AMD.

If AMD grew to 3.4% in server market share, yet intel grew by 11%, wheres the logic in that math?

I can only assume you you are talking about profits or net income or something along those lines.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  20. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    Intel became a Troll company... 10nm Q3 2020?!?!?! At this point AMD will be at 5nm...
    This will be the hard price that blue side will pay (and already paying) for make money selling outdate CPU at gold price to the pathetic fanboys...
    GREAT job AMD! Will take my money for a long long time...