16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack]

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by user1, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
  2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Do not recommend the latest windows 10 for older gpus/apus with outdated drivers.
    Honestly at this point you might be better off moving to linux than rolling back, since win 7 is near EOL

haymanali2006 likes this.
  3. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    My friend is using 16.2.1 beta with his 6670 1GDDR5 and he doesn't have any problem with the latest Windows 10 updates.

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I assume you've already tried leaving them with the updates Win10 provides out of the box? Which should be the WHQL 15.7.1 driver.
    Guys who have done the tests claim that that's the targeted driver for games/programs that still support those GPUs anyway.

But laptops have always been more problematic, they can be wonky even when you use them with the OS they originally shipped with. Even moreso when it's one of those dual graphics setups.

I've successfully used Win10 without noticing issues across discrete AMD HD4000-6000 series, as well as a discrete Geforce 6200 (DX9, 2004hw). It even recently forced Win10 1903 for the build with the 6200, though I've only used that occasionally for browsing.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Honestly after win1709 my older geforce 7 laptop(not mixed graphics) randomly bsods whenever exiting fullscreen, and ive had problems with windows 10 overwriting/blocking(old certs) old drivers.

Ive been using kubuntu for like a year now on my desktop , and I put arch on the geforce 7 laptop(with some tweaking ), and I have had zero issues by comparison, and better performance(especially on the geforce 7) so ive abandoned windows pretty much entirely.

Its just not worth the headache of windows 10 deciding to update to a new version and breaking everything. last win10 version I can recommend is 1607 which works 100% on old hardware with no issues in my experience.

Orof83 likes this.
  6. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    I can hardly believe the geforce on the cramped open driver (I suppose) manages to be faster than under windows.
    I mean, aside of when the computer starts to run telemetry or update, there is where everything actually works. Of course if MS breaks WDDM (and whatnot) every odd week that's another matter, but still 3D wise the difference should be stark. I would not be expecting this to last indefinitively then, at least without them officially announcing that they raised minimum requirements.
    (speaking of the anniversary update by the way, I recall there was supposedly to be a "home long servicing branch for it". Where did it go?)

Anyway, for as much as hybrid laptops are concerned, that should only be discussed on leshcat. They have a hell of variables to take into account, from bios to graphics switching mode to whatever the OEM did.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    not using the opensource nouveau driver, which is basically unusable unless you are using a g80-gk1XX + the 750ti, Im using the proprietary r304 linux driver from nvidia, which was still maintained up until 2017, it supports as far back as the 6000 series geforce cards, it needs some patches to get working on more recent kernels, but it works pretty decently, all things considered

mirh likes this.
  8. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Even though gaming with the 6700M isn't great at all, I am also pretty happy with Linux on my 8 year old HP laptop. At least for light office tasks it is still pretty good. I am still waiting for AMD to get a decent CPU + GPU combo for a good price into the notebook market. Originally I wanted to put that old system to rest when they get there, but it still takes them way too long to get their products into that market....

9. Kuri0

Kuri0 Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Can you add the OpenCL VP9 decoding that some older GCN AMD drivers used to have which could be enabled using "VForceOCLVP9" ? The last version that supports it is 17.7.2. I've tried using va libs and vp9 ocl from 17.1.2 with the registry setting but it wont work maybe its because it requires OpenCL 2.0 which isn't supported by pre-GCN

10. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    It would only work if the vp9 ocl library is standalone, and supports ocl 1.2, reg keys only work if they are recognized by the core driver module. otherwise they do nothing.

I would say it probably cant be done via the existing drivers. Though I would make a feature request to the developers of your preferred browser for OCL acceleration of vp9 if they dont already do that, as it would then benefit all ocl supporting cards that lack native vp9 acceleration

11. Orof83

Orof83 Guest

GPU:
    2x Twintech 9600GT XT OC
    Would just want to say thank you user1. i previously installed the firepro drivers for my 7670M & 8650G combo, but now i installed your standard recommended package. it has fixed my constant BSOD with the latest windows 10 (System Service Exception: Bugcheck 0x0000003b), and all is working well. it will until microsoft will release another update that will break everything, but now all is good :) my 8 Years old samsung NP355V5C-01IL samsung laptop thanks you

12. sweetsuicide

sweetsuicide Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 6630M
    Hi, I am really sorry to write as late as now.
    I just got hold of my gf's former laptop, a Lenovo Edge E520. I updated it to windows 8.1.
    I tried to update the graphics driver using the latest package here, the Win7 one, and I also made the modification mentioned a couple of pages ago, but:
    1) when I try to run the installer it just updates the catalyst control center and not the graphics drivers themselves. When I try by using the "no digitally signed drivers" it fails at hardware recognition
    2) I tried to update the driver in "no digitally signed drivers" by forcing the system to use the modified .inf file from a couple of pages ago it went through, but I only got a black screen afterwards.
    Sorry to ask, but what am I doing wrong?

13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    People without Windows 10 should really use only Linux OS. Any other Microsoft OS, is unsupported totally.

sweetsuicide likes this.
  14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Not worth the hassle to get working, you wont notice much difference from the stock drivers installed by windows update. it will only cause you headache. these packages are very old now.

sweetsuicide likes this.
  15. sweetsuicide

sweetsuicide Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 6630M
    Thanks for the heads up: on windows 7 I managed to install them and saw some improvement on games. On the other hand for streaming and everything else I have Linux. Unfortunately, there's no vulkan support on Linux for Turks, so games are mostly a no-go.
    Thanks anyway for the great job you've done over these many years

16. asdf2345

asdf2345 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    How were you able to modify these drivers?

I'm trying to modify a different set of drivers, and I'm unable to install those on my secondary system with a HD 6870

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    there are no modifications to the actual driver components, only the driver inf file/ installer, all of the driver components used already supported the aforementioned cards, but simply lacked a proper inf file / installer.

18. asdf2345

asdf2345 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Do these drivers include all the components to support a HD 6870?

https://mega.nz/file/wgxAFCzJ#N8_D1L59p8isZ2Gz4nmgBPxkdXlFqS52uxbctbvumDQ

It's a modded early 15.100 driver, the last known to support Windows Vista. It was initially distributed for getting RX 300 series cards working on Vista, but it's old enough to where it should support older cards, and I'd like to run the newest drivers I can.

19. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    anything prior to 16.101 should work.

20. asdf2345

asdf2345 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    I'd really like you to take a look at it. I tired to copy all the installation code for my GPU from 14.12 drivers, but it said the driver was incompatible with Windows Vista when trying to install it.