What device are you upgrading to in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Jan 20, 2018.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    What's wrong with it?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Everything, feels like a cheap mid-range, EMUI is horrible, settings are all over the place and difficult to find/remember, even the most basic features are missing vs my old S9 such as a notification / charging LED, there isn't one so it's basically all guess work, camera that was advertised as one of the best is horrendous, comparing an S9 full auto shot vs the P30 the S9 is worlds ahead, P30 focuses on anything but the main subject, generally if I take a shot of my dog in the park the resulting photo has everything blurred and out of focus except one small patch of grass to the very corner of the photo, video is useless and horrible quality, Raw photos are terrible, takes a long time in Lightroom to correct them to look even moderately ok, selfie cam cannot focus to save it's life, and their updates are worse than Samsung used to be, almost November and I'm still on the August security patch, the list goes on and on

Their stupidly aggressive battery management renders things like WhatsApp useless, regardless of removing it from battery management it gets killed in the background and I don't receive messages until I actually open the app

Amusingly I had bought a P30 a while back and didn't like it so I sold it, was in hospital for a few days without a phone and my gf decided to "do me a favour" and buy me a phone.... another P30..

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    It's weird, i have the Mate 20 X and i get all notifications no issue, it's easily better than any galaxy i've seen and owned.

But i guess user xp varies from one another...

What will you buy next?

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    S10 unless I get stuck with this for longer than I plan, I'd probably even swap it back for my old S9 tbh

And these new all glass shells is getting silly, not just the P30 although this is the slippiest phone I've ever owned, it's as if they all sat down and thought up how to increase sales by people dropping and breaking their phones, before I got a case for this it would not even sit on the side of the sofa, it kept falling off apparently flat surfaces so I purposely sat it right in the middle of the arm of the sofa which has maybe a 1% tilt on it, so small you cannot tell by looking, I watched it by focussing on the material fibres of the arm so I had something to compare distance to the phone with, and no joke over the course of the next minute or two it was as if there were tiny little nanobots carrying it along the arm towards the edge, so slowly just by looking you couldn't see any movement, then after about 3-4 minutes as it got closer to the edge where it tilts down a bit more it sped up so you could see it moving, it's ridiculously friction free, cannot sit it on your leg, side of the bath, chair, sofa, anything at all, even trying to keep hold of it in your hands unless you are consciously gripping it you will drop it without even feeling it moving through your fingers
    S9 was all glass and fairly slippy but nothing like this

But yea I've been solely Samsung for many years now so have been spoilt with their premium, not found any other phone manufacturer (Android) anywhere close

EDIT - Here's an example of what I am talking about with focus, just snapped this now holding the phone completely still after having tapped on the dogs head for where it should focus, dog is oof and soft with no detail, yet look at the cardigan on the top of the sofa, you can make out the fibres and knitting pattern easily, that's what this thing does all the time, ignores 90% of the shot and focuses on something completely random right in the corner

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    It sounds that you might have a faulty device though, while the P30 Pro and Mate 30 Pro have the best cameras, i'm sure the P30 is more than capable.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sold the first one because it was the same, XDA & Reddit many people all complaining the same, many of whom came from Samsung too and also now regret it

Set up in the perfect conditions, on a tripod, with the sun behind you, in a beautiful location, you can no doubt get a lovely result, for normal every day point and shoot it is terrible

P30 Pro actually does worse in some scenarios due to a strong yellow tint

7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Might be, though i've tested them and mine Mate 20 x, and got the best results out of any phone(tie with PX3 and PX4 at some shots).

So, you gonna get galaxy again? wait for the S11?

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not sure I can last that long, would be a sensible move given the rumours of spec upgrades but I've never wanted rid of a phone as much as I do with this P30

I don't live in a very picturesque area, so most of my shots are of the dogs and this just cannot do it, I'm putting it down to the low light capability that you cannot disable, leaving the shutter open too long causing the slightest movement of either you or the subject to cause the blur, combined with the pathetic AF-C focussing on a single blade of grass miles away instead of the huge dog or human standing directly in-front of the camera

I can forgive a phone being fairly bad for most other things as long as the camera is good, unfortunately neither are good in this case so it's just an all round bad experience every time I use it

Another simple setting that S series Samsungs have is a setting to delay the lock when you turn off the screen manually, so if you are chatting on WhatsApp and get a message just after turning off the screen (Which is always the case) you don't have to enter credentials again, no such setting on this thing and I'm not a fan of biometrics, so I have to enter the pin every single time I turn on the screen, I gave up after weeks/months of doing that and enabled fingerprint today, just little things like that show they have taken no pride or care or thought into the design of the phone/firmware, feels like EMUI is just tacked on top and has had just enough time spent on it to get it working

/rant

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Well i guess we all share different xp, i can't stand galaxy phones at all, nor pixels or iPhone.

Get any phone you like, just don't get the Pixel 4.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I wouldn't buy a pixel, camera is nice but the device itself is always plagued with faults and bugs, twitter lights up with problem after problem after a new Pixel release

Not a fan of iPhone either, if they scrapped iTunes for copying media to / from the phone i'd be slightly more open to it, but as it is there's no way, almost 2020 and still having to sync to do that, also sideloading, unless you're jailbroken that's gone too, and I like having my apps tidied away in a drawer not spread all over my homescreen

I wasn't a fan of Galaxy phones for a long time when TouchWiz was their thing, OneUI massively improved that, obviously Nova Launcher gets installed

See what EMUI 10 brings to the table on the P30, so far not looking good listening to feedback from people running the beta, seems to only change the face of the UI slightly, new icons in settings and quick launch, not hearing any camera or other improvements yet

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Suppose I could become a spy or paparazzi (Example of taking a while to line up the shot with sun behind you, landscape shot rather than close up snap of someone/thing, then it can focus, although the zoom uses a different lens & sensor)
    [​IMG]

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I'm on s9 now 1yr old and still feels like new.

The only thing sucking now is Pie's battery usage. I lost 1hr ost. March update came back close to orero that's it.. rest sucks.. still now with october update atm.

Hopefully android10 changes that again.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea mine still felt like new at 18~ months old, usually get bored of phones around 12 months in but still enjoyed using the S9 every day, got sucked in with the hype around the P30 camera, lesson learned

airbud7 and -Tj- like this.
  14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I got that Redmi Note 8 Pro today and it is rather impressive for a $250 phone. It's easy to hold, looks good aesthetically, feels solid, takes pretty good pics, the screen is vibrant & responsive and it runs amazingly smooth. It's certainly faster than my Moto X Pure. It scored 278,357 on the antutu benchmark. Seems pretty good. (my old phone: ~78,000).

I wish the camera lens glass didn't protrude off of the back and MIUI is good/bad (my 2nd phone using it) but overall, this seems like a great phone.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just watched a review for that phone, for that price I would not be disappointed at all, 64MP main camera takes stunning shots, settings UI looks nice and performance looks great

16. GameHaven66

GameHaven66 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 8GB
    In 2020 i was thinking of upgrading to either a huawei p30 lite or a moto g

17. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I love a good battery. I've been using this Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro with it's 4,500mah battery for exactly 3 days now. I fully charged the battery right when I got it and haven't plugged it in since then (Sunday). I've still got 31% battery left after 71 hours of light to moderate use. Including benchmarking it the 1st day and a full OS update. I may not charge it today either and just take it to work tomorrow with the 25-29% I will have left. Just to see if I can push it that far. :p

This may be a 4 day phone with my light usage pattern. Though, perhaps 3 days as I plan to try to charge it only to ~80% as I read that doing that can extend the life of your battery considerably. Like from 2 years to 4. Keeping it from fully charging doesn't seem to be something I can set up in the phone. Unless there's some app. It'll be a game to try to manually keep it from getting to 100%. lol

Highly recommend this phone if you are looking in the under $400 range. Under $300, it should be on the short list. Xiaomi seems to make some nice phones. I'd never heard of them but I'm about to buy a 3rd phone from them (in 2 months) for my son, if that says anything. Gonna get a $130 one for my son who could use the big battery it has.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You can set alarms for different charge % reached with this app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm

Set it to 80% to sound an alarm

I don't bother taking any of these so called precautions with phone batteries, I always upgrade within 2 years anyway, and I've given away phones that are still holding a good charge like 5 years later

19. Gabriele Coulson

Gabriele Coulson Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1060
    It's 2019 but I still wanna share about my smartphone upgrade. Basically I got the Xiaomi Pocophone F1 and it's a vast improvement over my previous (and ridiculously old) Samsung. The battery life is insane good, camera is alright, apps run great, but most importantly the price to quality ratio is great. I mean it was basically like getting out of the stone age because my old "smartphone" couldn't run anything, I just procrastinated on upgrading for so long cuz I prefer to use my pc for everything.

20. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    for me mate 20 pro battery wasnt enoght for me also i wanted better speakers
    i miss the huawei camera
    at 120 hz its same as huawei battery
    yes if you dont play games stay with mate