The Outer Worlds

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CalculuS, Dec 7, 2018.

1. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    From all the videos I’ve seen, this game looks average at most, and if a2080ti cannot max this on 4K, then it’s one unoptimized game.

I have it on gamepass, will give it a go this weekend.

2. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Anyone has stuttering? How to fix this?

3. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    It seems to me that stuttering is due to the frame pacing. If I cap the frames at some value it plays far smoother.

4. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Playing through game pass now, probably just going to buy it when its available on steam (read games from MS store aren't mod-able). Hope I can move my save file... Anyway, I really like it so far despite some optimization/polish issues. It plays smooth 60FPS v-sync at 1920x1080 ultra settings until a new area loads, then it pauses and stutters a bit before smoothing out again. Pop-in of more detail shadows/LODs it also painfully obvious when walking through the world. I'm hoping that future updates fix those issues along with the those mentioned here by others and allow for more fine-tuning of the graphic options, at the moment the options are a bit limited...

Despite these issues the game itself is fun and engaging. The system for character development has some depth with separate skills and perks like older FO games.
    I really like the addition of phobias, something I haven't seen in any other game that I have played
    ...allows for some impromptu, additional character development. The writing and voice acting is on par with Witcher 3 to my eyes and ears which draws you in a bit more. A nice addition to this aspect is the depth of follower/companion dialogue when speaking with mission givers or other important NPCs. They give input and insights into factions and relationships between them so are more than just enemy-distracting damage sponges.

The graphics and art-style feel like a mashup of some other games we have all played. The game feels very Fallout-esque, but with Borderlands color palette and No Mans Sky influenced environs, flora and fauna. The combat feels about right. Enemies aren't bullet sponges or non-threats once out-leveled, it appears that enemies level up with you so the difficulty curve is steady giving a good challenge on hard difficulty.

I'd give this an 8.5/10 as it is now. Fix some of the performance and some PC-specific issues I read about here and its a solid 9+.

BTW, is this technically early access? Steam says its not released until 2020, but I thought it would be available there in December...if it is early access then things look very promising for this game when compared to other games which are released in a far worse condition.

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    No mate it is a Epic games Store / Microsoft Store exclusive till next year

6. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Ah, didn't know that. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Passus likes this.
  7. I didn't even want to buy this originally. Gameplay videos put me off by the game's artstyle, gunplay and of course the UE4, which I know too well...

But at this point, I'm glad that I did. I like the story so far, quests, dialogues are interesting, some nice story twists and memorable characters. It's one of those rare games that I don't play for visuals or technology, but for story, atmosphere and dialogues. Anyway I haven't finished the game yet, so this might change :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2019
  8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    runs fantastic on my rig, on ultra, had a couple of monitor resets during dialogue a couple of times though, odd.

9. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Runs great here at 4K ... Shadows set to Very High keeps fps at 55-80. Great game so far .... pleasantly surprised :)

SpajdrEX likes this.
  10. Most of these hitching issues won't be solved by some simple patch. It's caused by UE's dynamic loading/unloading of streaming parts. It's been like this since UE3. Devs really need to be smart about their data distribution into smaller streaming parts to avoid this and it's not always possible to avoid this behavior completely.

11. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    There is frame pacing issues for sure also discord causes issues too when it's running.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well after 6-7 hours of playing the Windows Store version and really, really enjoying the game, it decided it didn't want to work properly anymore and now just crashes to the desktop when I click on the Xbox One controller button or a key at the Press a key prompt on the title screen! God, I utterly despise the Windows Store. I've tried restarting my PC and the Settings > Apps > The Outer Worlds > Advanced > Repair option but it didn't work. Guess I could uninstall and reinstall it but it shouldn't be necessary. The game had been working flawlessly, no crashes or anything like that. I was playing it earlier on this afternoon for about 3 hours and then when I try to play it later on, without having restarted my PC, the game just crashes on the title screen when I try to play it. GRRRRRRRRR!

cerebus23 likes this.
  13. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    After eight hours landed on Groundbreaker...
    People finishing this game in 10 - 12 hours!?

[​IMG]

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Is why Windows 7 is magic.
    I'm so glad I stuck with it, not because of your issue alone but the crazy amount of issues that keep on coming.
    And the other downsides.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I heard playtime when not rushing everything is about 20 hours. Kinda short for an RPG?

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If it's streaming data would having it installed on ssd give much of an improvement?

17. So my Ryzen build's ITX board died on me... :mad: but... I grabbed Outer World's PC; threw it in the Blade 14 1060 and it runs... amazing. The wait has been worth it! I absolutely love this game!

18. How to get a refund for an Xbox One or Windows 10 game - You're making me feel bad; don't torture yourself unnecessarily! Refund that and swap for better distribution method.

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    well i have it on an m.2 ssd , runs fast when i enter a new map/world

see here

Netherwind and KissSh0t like this.
  20. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Has anyone got DSR to work? I disabled the in game TAA to remove the blur, but it will not recognize my DSR resolutions.. So as I now I deal with TAA blur, or no TAA but aliasing..