Intel Introduces Tremont Microarchitecture

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel revealed the first architectural details related to Tremont. Intel's newest and most advanced low-power x86 CPU architecture, Tremont offers a significant performance boost over prior generatio...

Intel Introduces Tremont Microarchitecture

2. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Makes me wonder if Intel are very busy ungimping their previously gimped lower end designs just to have positive news...soon powering a refrigerator near you...

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I wonder how many vulnerabilities this one will have.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    ARM has been really surging ahead lately, and let's not forget about RISC-V, so Intel does actually have an incentive to step things up.
    The real question now is, will this be reasonably priced? Because I suspect it won't.

anticupidon and Texter like this.

5. NaturalViolence

NaturalViolence Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX260 C216/896MB
    Man this community has gotten bitter....

Typhoon and yasamoka like this.
  6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Everything has vulnerabilities, they just haven't been found yet.

anticupidon likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Skeptical more like.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Likely the communities average age is higher which tends to allow people to use historical personal experience to make better judgments aka wisdom. Intel has not fared so well in the low power market to date so healthy skepticism is warranted.

9. That will be the trick. Intel has a bad habit of pricing themselves out of the game in the ulp and embedded market. That gigabyte picoITX board that was in the news yesterday is a great example......it would be a great product at about two price points lower.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The Arduino Galileo is another good example. Though, the UP boards are actually pretty fairly priced. They pack a real punch with a lot of features in a tiny form factor and a reasonable price. So - not all Intel SBCs are overpriced.

11. No, not all, but quite a lot are. Getting much harder not to choose arm over x86 in the low power/tiny field.....though there are exceptions. I have used one of the newer embedded Amd boards and was quite impressed. I do confess to being curious about these, since it has been quite a while since intel overhauled their lower power chips.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Spontaneously I can't be bothered since this thing doesn't read like it hits PCs, and I honestly don't believe in the "IoT" as the savior of things.
    Second, fetch and predict... watch the vulnerabilities coming up.
    Why they still think speculative execution is still the way to go is beyond me noobish thinking "Why not make unpredicted access faster than trying to think what I want, when I just tell the computer with a click anyway?".

Since this is not aimed at consumers (IoT, datacenter stuff), I'll easily forget that I ever read these news.