Review: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming Z TRIO

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Review: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming Z TRIO We review the MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming Z TRIO, Super charged and ready in the Z model. GeForce RTX 2070 Super, of course, is based on a Turing...

Review: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming Z TRIO

2. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I was impressed by the thermals & noise levels alone. Know if its possible to kill off all the Bling-Bling RGB effects the card has?

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Of course, it can be modified/customized/disabled with the Mystic Light APP from MSI.

Angantyr likes this.
  4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Not sure which one is wrong, but the pics show only one fan is 9cm, the others are the regular 12cm (?) fans, while the review states 3x9cm fans.

buhehe likes this.

5. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    agreed, it looks like one of the outermost fans is smaller... annoyingly asymmetric :(

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Wow, amazingly good cooler - very low temperatures and very low noise!

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @buhehe
    its because the heatsink is longer (vs dual fans units).
    not sure if i like it, smaller/more fans usually mean more noise..

8. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    I'm still struggling to understand if this 2070 super is worth it over my so old 1080. The GPU market is such a joke right now...

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I don't think so, it's only about 30% faster, in my book that's not worth it. The way I look at it I only upgrade to something that's 100% faster (twice as fast), and in the interim turn down a few settings if necessary - probably every other GPU generation.

10. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I'm sure you can stick to it without issue. I could probably say the same about my 980 TI, it's been going strong, and still is - And its only because of a certain upcoming title that made me decide to upgrade to the RTX series.

The decision is also helped by seeing my 980 TI slowly, but surely going further down the performance charts in comparison to the newer gpus' :p

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    It's not.
    The original 2070 was actually slower in some games, the Super version is always faster, but not by much.

I upgraded from 980 to 1080 (both non Ti), and what a difference that was ! (And still managed to sell the 980 for a decent price). But that was the exception, as Pascal was one of the greatest leaps in GPU performance in recent years (+75% or more), due to dual-node jump 28nm->16nm.
    Right now the only card which would really make a difference for 1080 owners is 2080 Ti... but boy, that costs a ton !

So no, best thing to do right now is to hold on a few more months and see what comes up.
    All current titles run fine on 1080, even at 4K with reduced details, and RTRT is not yet a thing anyway.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  12. Moto_Life

Moto_Life Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 1070 gaming X
    $600.... What a joke. Payed $388 for my 1070 gaming X. I dont understand how so many people are willing to bend over and pay these obscene prices.

AntiSnipe likes this.
  13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Error8
    Always depends.
    A 2060 is about the same performance, but with less power/heat.
    I put my 1080 up for sale. Whenever it sells,
    im getting a 20xx, which one just depends on how much i sell mine for/if i can find an open box rtx at amazon/microcenter..

14. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    Thank you all for your advice. I feel like I hijacked Hilbert's thread somehow, so sorry for that.
    I'll probably wait this winter out with my GTX 1080 since I keep it @ 2 ghz anyway and with Accelero cooler it tops out bellow 60 C. Hopefully 2020 will bring some new graphic cards war in the upper mid to high end, we really need that.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Don't worry, it's why we call it a discussion thread.

16. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    The "Gaming" series from MSI is very solid - my RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X trio is very silent even when playing full details AAA 2019 games in 4K...I dare to say that is a better cooling and factory OC solution than Asus Strix...
    Careful about the Mystic Light app - in my case it made the system unresponsive at reboot - safe mode and uninstall - and I saw on the MSI forum that I was not the only one to experience this "funny" effect of the app.
    Not so sure about the RTX advantages though...anyway my opinion on Ray Tracing is like this:

[​IMG]

AntiSnipe likes this.
  17. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Do you know if it would be possible to use the Mystic Light App to disable all the RGB stuff and then processed to completely remove the app alongside any other bloatware / unneeded software they bundle with the GPU?
    And then on reboot, the lights doesn't turn back on.

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

If you are that frantic about the RGB lights and the software, just pull out the 4-pin cable on the card. Problem solved.

barbacot likes this.
  19. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    Yes you can. Note that Mystic Light used to be a standalone app, it has since been integrated into the MSI Dragon Center application.

20. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    The perfect solution - the problem is that rgb controlling software for many components is not perfect at all - some interact with other applications or worst: the OS and the "low level hardware" solution of pulling the rgb cable is perfect in this conditions if you don't like the "bling".