Random crashes on Asus x570+Trident Z Neo 16GTZNC

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by DieVirulenz, Oct 23, 2019.

1. DieVirulenz

DieVirulenz Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080
    TL/DR: New Ryzen System reproducibly crashes a few applications(mainly Blender, most run perfectly fine) , RAM timing issue or RMA case?

Hi,

for about a month I got my new Ryzen 3 (Zen 2) system. For the most part is runs buttery smooth and as expected. Specs are:

Ryzen 3900x
    Asus x570 Strix-E Gaming, 1.0.0.3 ABBA updated
    G.Skill Trident Z Neo, F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC, Hynix CJR
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    bequiet 680W PSU

BIOS-settings are on default(updated to ABBA 1.0.0.3) except I activated the DOCP profile for my RAM (which is on the QVL of the MB, btw.). Chipset drivers are installed both first from AMD directly then from ASUS again, as is stated in the description of them on the ASUS page).

Played some games (Mordhau, Greedfall, Battlefront 2, several others) everything works fine. Rendering with FFMPEG works fine too.

So a few days ago I installed Battlefield 5 to see how it performs (hadn't played on my old rig in month) and it crashes to desktop, sometimes after a minute, sometimes after one or two matches. As this is Battlefield which has been prone for crashes like this I though lets try some more things, and a few games and tools really show similar behavior after trying quite a few from my library (for example "Exanima" starts on DOCP V1 but just freezes after a few seconds, "Between the Stars" shows a similar behavior).

What really shocked me was when I installed Blender and fired it up and it just crashes after a few seconds (maybe 10-30).

I began fiddling with my RAM timings, tried BF and Blender with some different settings: all on AUTO(so 2133HZ), manually set DOCP values and suggested values from Ryzen RAM Timing calculator both "Safe" and "Fast. The behavior stayed the same, some settings felt a bit more stable at first but in the end it stays the same.

Note: I never had a BSOD so far, and I monitored my temperatures for processor and GPU, which are both well inside specifications, in case that helpes pinpointing.

Now I am at a loss, I ran a memtest from USB stick over night with DOCP activated and this did not return any errors, I really am not sure what the culprit might be now. Does anyone maybe have a similar or even the same combination of RAM and MB and might sahre some comparison on behavior?

Might it be a BIOS issue, or rather some DRAM timings? Havent really overclocked in years, so no real experience regarding this.

Maybe someone here know about similar issues or got any ideas, let me know if I can supply any more information regardings this to track this down.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  3. DieVirulenz

DieVirulenz Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080
    That would be awesome...or not depending on your point of view :D

I will give it a try later and see if it makes a difference. Will report back asap.

4. DieVirulenz

DieVirulenz Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080
    So I tried the newest BIOS (1305, AGESA 1.0.0.4) with default settings, and same errors occur.

Are there any known RAM settings/timinigs which might be tweaked for stability?

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    use 16-20-20-40 instead of 16-19-19-39

6. DieVirulenz

DieVirulenz Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080
    kk, will give it a try later and post back.

Thanks for the suggestions!

7. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
  8. DieVirulenz

DieVirulenz Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080
  9. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    if those dont work i can give you the 3600 mhz too if you want

10. DieVirulenz

DieVirulenz Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080
    Well its sold as 3600mhz so if you have them at hand that would be awesome, so I can try them out both later. Thanks a lot!

11. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I actually had a very similar issue with my Hynix MFR(not on QVL)

F4-3600C18D-32GTZN

B450M Pro-4(low end even)

Whenever I ran games or even Aida stress test it was all good. Then if I ran something like Prin95 small FFT using AVX it would fail within seconds. I had thought it was my ram at first but it ended up being a power limitation from my mother board. I did not have PBO on as it wasn't really helping but once I turned it on it allowed the EDC and TDC to go higher which stabilized my Prime 95 tests. IIRC BF V and Blender use AVX so perhaps you should open Ryzen master and check your EDC and TDC usage

12. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    Let me get home and i'l upload you the 3600 mhz, i'm at work right now.
    just found the photo i took on my phone
    https://**********/QFDkn298
    if the voltage is a bit too low try 1.36 or 1.37 should be fine

13. DieVirulenz

DieVirulenz Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080
    TLDR: RAM was faulty!! In just a few applications, especially OpenGL it crashed leading to the Graphicscards driver. But it was just the RAM in the end.

Soo I had to step back a day after trying out all kinds of solutions, everything to no avail, and getting way too frustrated. I ordered myself a break...and a new kit of RAM.

Well long story short, after I switched the RAM everything runs buttery smooth and so far no crashes in all applications which crashed continously beforehand.

Therefor I wish to thank you all again for your support and ideas, it helped a lot and I really appreciated it, just wanted to let everyone know what the culprit was in the end.